Chiney to Sparks | The Boneyard

Chiney to Sparks

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This is getting old. Like Tina Charles before her, another trade me or I'll sit out scenario.

Already lost Lexie Brown, a talented #9 selection, who didn't want to be here so she sleep-walked through 2018 ... so we get a #18 pick from Minny with, at best, slight chance of making the team in return.

Chiney a #1 pick/ROY/All-Star says she will sit out to focus on her ESPN career if not traded to LA... again we trade with a gun to our heads and just get LA's first round pick next year (likely a #11 or #12).

It's not so much their leaving, we just need to get better value in return, and it's hard to do that when the team you're dealing with knows you are under an ultimatum.

I just don't think you can build a champion this way. Head bang

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm not a W watcher but that seems like a crap trade. A low 1st round pick generally isn't much, unless the draft is loaded, which I dont think 2020 will be?

Reaction Score
It's not just Connecticut, other teams have had players threaten to sit if not traded to a specific team. Sylvia Fowles (and possibly Liz Cabbage) come to mind.

Reaction Score
This is getting old. Like Tina Charles before her, another trade me or I'll sit out scenario.

Already lost Lexie Brown, a talented #9 selection, who didn't want to be here so she sleep-walked through 2018 ... so we get a #18 pick from Minny with, at best, slight chance of making the team in return.

Chiney a #1 pick/ROY/All-Star says she will sit out to focus on her ESPN career if not traded to LA... again we trade with a gun to our heads and just get LA's first round pick next year (likely a #11 or #12).

Where did you hear that Chiney demanded a trade? I thought it was a mutual agreement. I love Chiney but she really has had an injury filled career with micro fracture surgery and her Achilles injury.

Reaction Score
One could also look at it as the Sun got a first round pick rather than having no Chiney. I’m sure they would have preferred a higher pick, but that wasn’t an option, as she demanded going to LA.

psconn

Reaction Score
Where did you hear that Chiney demanded a trade? I thought it was a mutual agreement. I love Chiney but she really has had an injury filled career with micro fracture surgery and her Achilles injury.

The story is well covered in the New London Day and New Haven Register as well as social media sources.

Reaction Score
Wow. I know Chiney and Nneka are close - but I didn’t see this coming. Lots of players in LA’s frontcourt now. I wonder if the Ogwumikes will be packaged together and traded to Dallas for Liz Cambage? Back home to Texas for the sisters... ?

I’m disappointed for the Sun. A pick that’s likely near the bottom of the first round doesn’t sound like nearly enough. It’s hard not to wonder if the Sun are destined to be a treadmill team.

BUT the lineup with AT at the 4 and JJ at the 5 worked well in 2017, and more minutes to develop Anigwe isn’t a bad thing. Brionna Jones’s job is probably safer now. Looks like she’s had a strong Euroleague season - hope she’s on the upward swing!

The team is still young and fast, and has the potential to be lots of fun. The narrative’s changed, but I’m excited to see how the season unfolds.

Reaction Score
The Sun have a lot of depth with their bigs before the trade, especially with them drafting Anigwe earlier this month. Defiantly beneficial for both parties. Hopefully this will allow Tuck to get more minutes this season

psconn

Reaction Score
Wow. I know Chiney and Nneka are close - but I didn’t see this coming. Lots of players in LA’s frontcourt now. I wonder if the Ogwumikes will be packaged together and traded to Dallas for Liz Cambage? Back home to Texas for the sisters... ?

I’m disappointed for the Sun. A pick that’s likely near the bottom of the first round doesn’t sound like nearly enough. It’s hard not to wonder if the Sun are destined to be a treadmill team.

BUT the lineup with AT at the 4 and JJ at the 5 worked well in 2017, and more minutes to develop Anigwe isn’t a bad thing. Brionna Jones’s job is probably safer now. Looks like she’s had a strong Euroleague season - hope she’s on the upward swing!

The team is still young and fast, and has the potential to be lots of fun. The narrative’s changed, but I’m excited to see how the season unfolds.

I'm looking forward to this season like I have for the last 15 seasons. This treadmill is just SO frustrating.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to this season like I have for the last 15 seasons. This treadmill is just SO frustrating.
Agreed!

Here’s hoping we can be virtually toasting a shocking championship victory come the fall... (the eternally daydreaming optimist in me can’t help it, sorry :p).

psconn

Reaction Score
The Sun have a lot of depth with their bigs before the trade, especially with them drafting Anigwe earlier this month. Defiantly beneficial for both parties. Hopefully this will allow Tuck to get more minutes this season

I don't get the "beneficial to both parties". The Sun got screwed again. A #1/ROY/All-Star/double-double machine for a #11 or #12 pick? C'mon! Just because the Sun roster is deep enough to avoid implosion, it doesn't mean the Sun made out well in the "trade".

It's all the more frustrating because the players aren't doing anything illegal or objectively unethical, the Sun as an organization don't seem to be at fault either. I'm angry and hurt and there's no one clearly to blame it on. FRUSTRATING!! Head bang

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Guessing this also means Liz C is sitting out this year — I know Dallas wanted a high price to trade her , and it hasn’t happened yet — now LA has Parker, the two O sisters, J Lavender, Vadeeva and K Brown at the 4-5 spots.

Think they’re deep enough in the paint ?!?!? :p

Reaction Score
It’s even more disappointing considering the Sun saw her through countless injuries and rehabs, and then it’s an ultimatum like this. Yikes.

psconn

Reaction Score
It’s even more disappointing considering the Sun saw her through countless injuries and rehabs, and then it’s an ultimatum like this. Yikes.

Yup, even kept her on the active roster in 2015 even though they knew she wouldn't play, and went with only 11 players.

Reaction Score
If I were not a Sparks fan I would be ticked to high heaven. But the Sparks haters can take consolation in the fact that this trade puts LA into a real cap difficulty. :rolleyes: Plus the have entirely too many posts. They will have to get rid of one possibly two of them.

emjay-- Packaging the sisters off to Dallas for Cambage would solve their cap problems, but they would have to get some real value in return along with Cambage. Besides, Dallas wanted either Nneka or Gray in a straight up trade and LA wouldn't do it before. I believe Chiney has a trade approval clause in her contract. The reason they need to dump salary is that they still have to make cap space to sign Chelsea Gray. The value return they would require to make it work would have to involve future draft picks to get them under the cap. Trading both just will not work cap wise, even if La chose to do so--- which I doubt.

Acquiring Chiney does give LA more options to work with though. If they put together a package for Cambage or just stick with what they have, they will still need to dump a post along with salary to get under the cap and still sign Gray. To get players that Dallas wants they might still have to involve a third team. But now. Their best bet would be a trade for Lavender for a future pick which then could be packaged with Brown and Vadeeva for Cambage. Either way, they have to dump Lavenders max salary. Both Brown and Vadeeva are still on their rookie salaries and the both of them wouldn't even compensate for Cambage's. That would still leave them short for resigning Gray.

psconn

Reaction Score
If I were not a Sparks fan I would be ticked to high heaven. But the Sparks haters can take consolation in the fact that this trade puts LA into a real cap difficulty. :rolleyes: Plus the have entirely too many posts. They will have to get rid of one possibly two of them.

emjay-- Packaging the sisters off to Dallas for Cambage would solve their cap problems, but they would have to get some real value in return along with Cambage. Besides, Dallas wanted either Nneka or Gray in a straight up trade and LA wouldn't do it before. I believe Chiney has a trade approval clause in her contract. The reason they need to dump salary is that they still have to make cap space to sign Chelsea Gray. The value return they would require to make it work would have to involve future draft picks to get them under the cap. Trading both just will not work cap wise, even if La chose to do so--- which I doubt.

Acquiring Chiney does give LA more options to work with though. If they put together a package for Cambage or just stick with what they have, they will still need to dump a post along with salary to get under the cap and still sign Gray. To get players that Dallas wants they might still have to involve a third team. But now. Their best bet would be a trade for Lavender for a future pick which then could be packaged with Brown and Vadeeva for Cambage. Either way, they have to dump Lavenders max salary. Both Brown and Vadeeva are still on their rookie salaries and the both of them wouldn't even compensate for Cambage's. That would still leave them short for resigning Gray.

Wow, sucks to be LA, huh?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to give Chiney some benefit of the doubt here, because she knows her injury situation better than we do, and I suspect she may know that her WNBA shelf life is <5 years, and maybe even just a year or two. She's said in some recent podcast interviews that she wants to go to law school, and I suspect she picked Stanford not just to follow her older sister but because she cared about "the 40-year decision." She traded likely championships at UConn for the Stanford experience, network and doors that open with it. She's killing it on ESPN and it's palpable that she has big plans after she hangs up her sneakers.

In LA, she has far more ability to explore post-basketball opportunities in media, sports, and entertainment. She could enroll part-time in law school and live in L.A. year-round. She could try to be a regular commentator for Clippers or Lakers games. Etc. The reality is that Uncasville, CT has 1/100th the non-basketball opportunities L.A. does, and if she only has a few seasons left, why shouldn't she play them out with her sister, maybe win a championship in the process, and get her post-basketball life in order?

I totally understand why that sucks for the Sun, and it's true that they were very good to her in 2015, but since then her injury situation has likely reduced her basketball shelf life, and her extra-curricular activities are probably much more attractive than they seemed four years ago. I suspect she just made another 40-year decision...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom