Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We have these rotations and regardless of how a player plays we stick to them. That has got to change. It is also tough to beat teams when you turn the ball over much more than your opponent. Turnover tonight 18 for UConn and 9 for Hall.

A fellow poster displayed some data that showed Sanogo gets fouled 1 of 20 attempts in the paint. That is outrageous and continued tonight.

True he could use some better sell techniques but he often gets fouled and no whistle by the Big East officials, who have been a disaster this season under a very weak commissioner. When Sanogo misses a post shot, there is no one in the zip code to rebound without a Double Big.

First half, 3 foul shots for UConn and 10 for Setan Hall. With 7 minutes left in the game 8 foul shots for UConn and 18 for Hall. For the game short end of 14 to 25.

Hawkins, Sanogo, Clingan, Jackson and Karaban are our 5 best players and it is a no brainer they should be our starting line-up. Time is running out for our coaching staff to recognize this. How much more evidence do they need that the current approach is not working?

Having said that, I liked Diarra game tonight. He can break the defense down off the dribble, but needs to improve his FT %.

But where did our ball movement go? And there’s a big price to pay without having a double big for the rebound at the end,
Chief, the weak commissioner is a dead horse as is the foul differential. We don't have players or plays built to get fouls. Andrey's attempts to take it to the basket early in the second half resulted in TOs and missed floaters. We had 12 assists on 15 made baskets in the first half and were humming along. We ended up 16 assists for 22 made baskets. As for our five best players you list they were responsible for 14 of the 18 turnovers

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I recall Jackson turn the ball over on passes three times..
I rewatched the early part of the second half because I couldn't believe what I saw, but Andrey attempted to drive and each time it resulted in a TO or missed floater. Jackson was only credited with three TOs, but TOs on those missed zip passes were credited to Adama and Donovan

Reaction Score
We have these rotations and regardless of how a player plays we stick to them. That has got to change. It is also tough to beat teams when you turn the ball over much more than your opponent. Turnover tonight 18 for UConn and 9 for Hall.

A fellow poster displayed some data that showed Sanogo gets fouled 1 of 20 attempts in the paint. That is outrageous and continued tonight.

True he could use some better sell techniques but he often gets fouled and no whistle by the Big East officials, who have been a disaster this season under a very weak commissioner. When Sanogo misses a post shot, there is no one in the zip code to rebound without a Double Big.

First half, 3 foul shots for UConn and 10 for Setan Hall. With 7 minutes left in the game 8 foul shots for UConn and 18 for Hall. For the game short end of 14 to 25.

Hawkins, Sanogo, Clingan, Jackson and Karaban are our 5 best players and it is a no brainer they should be our starting line-up. Time is running out for our coaching staff to recognize this. How much more evidence do they need that the current approach is not working?

Having said that, I liked Diarra game tonight. He can break the defense down off the dribble, but needs to improve his FT %.

But where did our ball movement go? And there’s a big price to pay without having a double big for the rebound at the end,
The problem with Jackson at PG he really isn't playing great now. He is out of control on both sides of the ball(Trying to do too much?) and still don't like his instincts. Why didn't he just shoot the ball on the Hawkins 3 no attempt(foot on the line). Teams play so far off Jackson since they don't respect his offense that it isn't funny. I think it might be Diarra time at point for better or worst. Just tell him never to take a 3 point shot. LOL!

Reaction Score
Chief, the weak commissioner is a dead horse as is the foul differential. We don't have players or plays built to get fouls. Andrey's attempts to take it to the basket early in the second half resulted in TOs and missed floaters. We had 12 assists on 15 made baskets in the first half and were humming along. We ended up 16 assists for 22 made baskets. As for our five best players you list they were responsible for 14 of the 18 turnovers
So how do you explain Sanogo getting fouled on only 5% of his post attempts. He generally is fouled on at least half it them. Not once did my 5 guys play together, so your broken turnover prone offense does not refute my line-up.

Reaction Score
I really don't get how people continue to want double bigs. What has Sanogo shown over the last month to make you think he's one of our best 5? He's not been good playing at his correct position and people think playing him out of position is going to help?

Clingan has to stop fouling so much, because our only hope of salvaging our season is him playing 30 minutes a night from here on out. Sanogo needs to come in only when Donovan needs a breather or is in foul trouble.
We ll never kno unless we try it- whats to lose?

Reaction Score
I remember Bob Cousy use to say, “ you don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty”. This team seems to forget that on their drives and attempts around the basket. Other times it is just not focusing their eyes on the rim. Too much else going on in their games.

Reaction Score
I counted at least 8. Despicable 2nd half. We implode at halftime every single game for the last 6 games.
I’d say fatigue could be factor, but why isn’t the other team fatigued ever?

Reaction Score
Beyond the very obvious PG problem, there’s this. When he is on the floor the first option is always AS. We lose about 5 possessions a game trying to force the ball to him while everyone else watches. If we do get it to him, he turns it over himself several times per game. When he doesn’t turn it over, he forces a shot through or over a double or triple team. He is a dynamic weapon when the ball comes to him in the flow of the offense, but force feeding it the way we do is insanity.
On the other end, he cannot or will not close down the paint. Opponents attack the rim with impunity after blowing by the perimeter defense. I’d love to see per minute stats comparing AS and DC on opponents attempts in the paint, shooting % on these attempts and defensive rebound %. I suspect it will be telling.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I hate the take from our fans that Sanogo is the problem. Even last night he was our best player, and it wasn't close really. Played excellent position defense in the paint and forced a bunch of turnovers and kick outs, where out wings got exposed. Had a fingertip block they didn't credit him with. Yes, he has problems dancing too, and not just going up with two hands like Barkley and dunking on these guys. He needs to learn that. Needs more impact on D.

Hawkins was excellent for a half, then vanished. He can't do that. I don't care how he's defended. He sold one foul where they held him. Needs to do more. His defense is regressing.

Karaban is so interesting. Good shooter, makes savvy cuts to the rim, alert passes. Then the defensive side comes. He never blocks out, he over-helps and abandons his man. These quick guys are just carving him up. His defense and rebounding work were awful.

Clingan, nice player. Not even close to as good as some posters think. Didn't do much of anything last night except foul people and give the ball away. He didn't have any big rim protecting impact either. Good rebounder, but his shot making aside from dunks is pretty poor.

Newton was better than people credit him for being. Actually brought the ball up against the press quicker than Diarra did and moved it around faster than Diarra did. Had a decent game on the offensive end. His D needs work, but he took a charge, which all of our guys need to do more of.

Jackson is a really good rebounder. At the moment his defense is atrocious. His passing has become reckless. He's just throwing the ball away. If there is a change in the starting lineup, he's the guy who should sit, at least until he stops trying to have an impact by stealing the ball and dunking every possession. Play position defense and rebound the ball.

Nobody else worth talking about. Alleyne did nothing. Diarra wasn't good. Joey hit a shot and made a couple passes but couldn't guard anybody.

Reaction Score
A lot of focus here on the offense, However, without a true (good) PG, they have to rely on opponent misses and getting the board. Otherwise there’s ball pressure right from the inbound, and watching any of our guys bring the ball up is PAINFUL. Beginning of the year, rebounding, outlet, finding an open look 3, or getting it down low quickly was the bread and butter. They're not going to win in a slow, half court set, style, they don’t have the ball handlers, the dribble-drive ability....and AS is just not that good once he's doubled.

So…..what about the D…..how do they get stops? They can't keep guys in front of them. and once they blow by, no one is intimidated by AS. They don’t have a lockdown guy. AJ is ok, but he spends too much time off the ground. Because of their limitations on O, this is the problem to be solved.

Wasn’t for it at first but maybe 2 bigs is the way to go and hope they both don’t get in foul trouble. Would have to play some kind of zone though, and who do they have that could play the top of the zone?

Don’t have any answers, but without a PG, the only way to win is to run off of misses.

And for pete's sake, know where the OB line is! 3 or 4 last night, 4 or 5 v StJohns.

Reaction Score
I hate the take from our fans that Sanogo is the problem. Even last night he was our best player, and it wasn't close really. Played excellent position defense in the paint and forced a bunch of turnovers and kick outs, where out wings got exposed. Had a fingertip block they didn't credit him with. Yes, he has problems dancing too, and not just going up with two hands like Barkley and dunking on these guys. He needs to learn that. Needs more impact on D.

Hawkins was excellent for a half, then vanished. He can't do that. I don't care how he's defended. He sold one foul where they held him. Needs to do more. His defense is regressing.

Karaban is so interesting. Good shooter, makes savvy cuts to the rim, alert passes. Then the defensive side comes. He never blocks out, he over-helps and abandons his man. These quick guys are just carving him up. His defense and rebounding work were awful.

Clingan, nice player. Not even close to as good as some posters think. Didn't do much of anything last night except foul people and give the ball away. He didn't have any big rim protecting impact either. Good rebounder, but his shot making aside from dunks is pretty poor.

Newton was better than people credit him for being. Actually brought the ball up against the press quicker than Diarra did and moved it around faster than Diarra did. Had a decent game on the offensive end. His D needs work, but he took a charge, which all of our guys need to do more of.

Jackson is a really good rebounder. At the moment his defense is atrocious. His passing has become reckless. He's just throwing the ball away. If there is a change in the starting lineup, he's the guy who should sit, at least until he stops trying to have an impact by stealing the ball and dunking every possession. Play position defense and rebound the ball.

Nobody else worth talking about. Alleyne did nothing. Diarra wasn't good. Joey hit a shot and made a couple passes but couldn't guard anybody.

Against a BE team that throws a double-team at him, he has proven to be poison for the overall offense. Excluding the Creighton game (where he didn't get doubled...still a headscratcher strategy decision by McDermott), way too many turnovers, forced low-percentage shots, and dozens of missed opportunities for kickouts to wide-open shooters. They all add up as big net negatives that an already-struggling offense just can't afford.

You're being generous with your assessments of his defense. His help D is weak, his boxouts have been marginal at best.

He is one of the bigger problems in our 5 losses. I don't care what his boxscore ends up looking like in those games.

And it pains me to say this because I love the dude.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So how do you explain Sanogo getting fouled on only 5% of his post attempts. He generally is fouled on at least half it them. Not once did my 5 guys play together, so your broken turnover prone offense does not refute my line-up.
Maybe they are watching his feet more than his upper body because they sure are keeping an eye on his travels!!

Reaction Score
I had Sanogo for at least 7 misses inside.......of course that's where 90% of his shots are taken, but still.
And all those misses were from 3 feet away, some forced.
Also at least 3, maybe 4, bad passes from AJ and TN to Sanogo and they weren't due to AS' bad hands.

Clingan 7 points, 6 rebounds, in 11 minutes and 4 fouls. They sure were very private fouls too. Unseen to most.

But think about this one: we had 64 points with 5 (Yes 5) minutes to go and lost 67-66.
Scored 2 (that's two) points in the last FIVE minutes.
Those 2 points were Newton FTs on a gift reach in near midcourt when we were trying to get a timeout. That’s probably been our only successful crunch time play in the last month. (In fairness, I did like the Karaban look in the corner - but before that we were a mess. Hawkins forced 3, AJ terrible entry pass, Newton terrible bounce pass, Sanogo missed bunny).

Reaction Score

I agree Adama can play better but we have much bigger problems. Andre had about a 4-1 assist to turnover ratio but that has regressed and he needs to tighten things up again in all areas.
Hawkins needs to learn to get to the line when other stuff isn’t working.
The truth is we have a hill to climb with the Big East officiating every night. We can overcome it but it is a challenge.

Reaction Score
I'd just like to know why Joey C was pulled after playing well then tossed in with 3 minutes to go for about 20 seconds then pulled again. Very strange subbing. But Clingan is awesome, Sanogo is talented but a poor decision maker at times, Allenye has been a negative too often, and we should have won even though the refs decided we weren't allowed to contest anything. Guys were hanging off Sonogo and Clingan with no calls and Karaban got dinged for a box out just holding his ground! Boy they sucked. Oh yeah we desperately need a PG.

Reaction Score
I lost my mind when Sanogo had his back to five defenders and then tried to plow through them instead of kicking it out. Jackson needs to score more when he’s close to the hoop after getting an offensive rebound, and drive to the hoop more period.

I’ve given up on waiting to see Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together, I don’t think Sanogo can power to the hoop with his back to the basket as a #4.

Samuel Johnson decent playing time? Don’t hold your breath. Said that in November. Hope he can help us out though.

I feel like this team has made me bipolar, was on a high after the start and now on a terrible low.

Reaction Score

Sanogo never gets any calls because he always fades away when shooting as opposed to taking the ball up strong. Plays too soft.

Reaction Score
I can guarantee you Samuel Johnson won't play a minute for UConn this year.
1674171138549.jpeg

Nope. He died in 1784 so probably wouldn’t be very effective

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom