Chief’s Brief’s - Butler Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
How comical was Teleforts plea to the ref saying he was hit in the face when Newton blocked his layup with 1.2 seconds left in the first half. It wasn’t even close
I think it was castle that hit him in the face on the drive. Someone actually did hit him though

Reaction Score
He had great length/hands out there in the first half, really disruptive without fouling. Samson is going to be a weapon next year and will get better....but we will need to get muscle in the portal for sure.
Does Rick Mahorn have any eligibility left?

Reaction Score
They played well for some long stretches. The first 5 to 6 minutes was especially fun to watch on the offensive end. Aside from Spencer, it wasn't a great shooting night for the team.
I still have faith in SJ as a capable backup, but he needs to get his head back in the game when he's on the floor. The foul on the 3 point shot was ridiculous. You can't put your forearm into a shooter mid-shot. Some days, they call a foul when you do that to a player in the post.
I know some people are asking where Castle was, but I think he's smart and saw Spencer had the hot hand and they were getting easy looks early on running the offense.
I loved how they pretty much took Davis away or made it much much harder the last portion of the game.

Poe

Reaction Score
How comical was Teleforts plea to the ref saying he was hit in the face when Newton blocked his layup with 1.2 seconds left in the first half. It wasn’t even close
He did get grazed on the face/eye when he was going up but it wasn’t by Newton.

Reaction Score
He was poked in the eye before the shot and not by Newton. Hard to fake eye swelling shut. What is comical is how some fans only see one side of the game.
Nope.
I wouldn’t have posted my comment if I saw him get hit in the eye. I saw the replay a couple of times and I didn’t see Newton hit him nor the original poke in the eye. I thought Telefort was trying to buy a foul.
I see the game very clearly and make my judgments whether it’s pro UConn or not. What’s comical is how some fans make judgements against others w/o knowing the intent of the original post.

Reaction Score
This was my take. So many missed bunnies simply means no lift in the legs.

You could tell it was a struggle.
Going from a 12 pm weekend start to a late 9 pm game on Tuesday perhaps impacted our effort but we adjusted and would have to play more of this in the NCAA's. Butler came to play and showed well but this was a Husky show.

Reaction Score
Sunday Noon Tip
Weds 8:45 Tip
Sat Noon Tip
Tues 8:40 Tip

Thats a tough stretch regardless of opponent. Walked out with 4 wins. We lose one of these games last year I feel.

Legs were tired and you could tell. Clingan off the two foul trouble contests looked the freshest and it was huge to have a big game out of him. We needed it.

Two more games we will be double digit favorites and then the schedule gets real different. Just win. Doesnt have to be sexy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geez, give Butler some credit. They defended well and if we had tired legs it’s because they forced us into long possessions. Frankly I think our guys just missed bunnies because they just missed them. And Davis who is a top notch shooter got a nice assist from us by being fouled on 2 3s. Critical was how lousy Newton played (he is the one who seemed bored) and Castle never figured out how to break them down.

And we won anyway thanks to Thank God We Have Him Spencer and Clingan who showed a consistent baby hook like never before. I’ve been hoping for that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Butler plays tough and Davis can hit some crazy shots while guarded. UConn had three major scorers have an off night. Alex gets a pass with the ankle, he wasn't moving well. Newton and Castle weren't good. Castle got his first look at what happens when you are a 20 point scorer instead of the one guy they leave alone. He didn't make good decisions. He'll figure that out. Newton is just a very up and down player. Glad DC and Cam came up pretty big when those other guys didn't.

Reaction Score
Regarding tired legs, we get a very important break towards season's end. After the Villanova game on Feb 24, we get eight days off before hitting the final stretch against Seton Hall, Marquette and Providence on March 3, 6 and 9. By the time the guys suit up for Seton Hall, they should be desperate for action. After Providence, it's five days off till the BE tournament.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Where was Castle?
He was there but the ball seemed to be stuck on Newton's and Cam's after 10 minutes of the 1st half. The 1st 10 minutes the offense ran smoothly - from that point until the final whistle it was 90% Cam and Newt vs the world - not a good thing

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I thought the ball hit his left cheekbone.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Geez, give Butler some credit. They defended well and if we had tired legs it’s because they forced us into long possessions. Frankly I think our guys just missed bunnies because they just missed them. And Davis who is a top notch shooter got a nice assist from us by being fouled on 2 3s. Critical was how lousy Newton played (he is the one who seemed bored) and Castle never figured out how to break them down.

And we won anyway thanks to Thank God We Have Him Spencer and Clingan who showed a consistent baby hook like never before. I’ve been hoping for that.
About three minutes into the game I said to my wife Tristen is sweating a lot more than normal at this point in the game. I wondered if he was under the weather. Sure enough his play reflected my observation.

He had his worst game of the season. Yet he hit a clutch three and free throws end of game to help with the win.

Reaction Score
This game was simply not reffed like a Big East game. It’s a comforting reminder of what Clingan is going to do for this team in March.
Clingan=Final Four MOP. Book it!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Solid conference win vs a potential tournament team. 4 games 9 days, the team did well, walked out with a W and everyone healthy

Butler put up 99 vs Creighton, barely got to 60 against us.

Hopefully the next two can mean more time for Ball, Stewart, Johnson (USE YOUR HEAD MAN!) and the bench. Get some rest for the starters and ready for the Marquette game (with a W pretty much seals the BE REG title).

I like the way we look

Reaction Score
I thought this was the best officiated Big East game this year also. They essentially let both teams play instead of the foul shooting contest we had last week against PC

Reaction Score
About three minutes into the game I said to my wife Tristen is sweating a lot more than normal at this point in the game. I wondered if he was under the weather. Sure enough his play reflected my observation.

He had his worst game of the season. Yet he hit a clutch three and free throws end of game to help with the win.
DH seemed to be sniffling during the presser…maybe something is going around

Reaction Score
Best Big East officiated game of the year
I think it’s also because of the way Butler plays. Providence is outclassed so they grab and foul all the time. Butler doesn’t. Refs just aren’t going to call them all in a physical game. Wasn’t that Belicheks approach with dbs? They aren’t going to call PI on every play.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Clingan minutes: 28

Has DC ever played that many...this season or last?

If...a big IF...he can stay away from foul trouble, tight games in the
tourney may see him in the thirties. Tight games late may find teams
playing hack a DC given his foul shooting issues...pretty much the same as
last year...50 percent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member