Chief’s Brief’s - Butler Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
Clingan, Spencer and Diarra carried us, while Newton, Castle and Karaban experienced off shooting nights. But, altogether we shot 47% FG anyways. However, half way thru the second half Spencer was our only guy who made a 3. Clingan was a monster on the bounds with 15 rebounds. As usual Newton made some big plays late.

While we held Butler to 32% in the first half, I thought our defensive intensity was less than what I have seen in other games this year and that carried on into rebounding where we got out rebounded despite Clingan good rebounding. However, we continued to make assists.

Davis is definitely a fine shooter and requires more defensive attention than we gave him. We gave him space and that gave him confidence.

Johnson continues to over play on the high hedge and it puts him in no man’s land and leaves him out of position on post defense and rebounds. Play after play, I fail to see an upside to this approach. Last game it resulted in 22 feet from the basket fouls. Tonight he fouled Davis on a three. What more evidence do some of you high hedge defenders need? Coach Hurley reconsider?

Injuries impacted both Karaban and Newton tonight. I don’t know if Newton needs to get tackled to go to the foul line when he drives? Again, the nation’s top team shoots less foul shots than a Big East opponent. Nothing new there.

Reaction Score
When Clingan gets reffed like this in the NCAA tournament he will be unstoppable*. He was allowed freedom of movement and wasn’t called for small ticky fouls and he dominated. We won on a night where we had Clingan, Cam and nothing else. This is a great time

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When Clingan gets reffed like this in the NCAA tournament he will be unstable. He was allowed freedom of movement and wasn’t called for small ticky fouls and he dominated. We won on a night where we had Clingan, Cam and nothing else. This is a great time
Did you mean 'unstoppable?'

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Ugly looking, but in the correct column.

ugly seinfeld GIF

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Should have been a blowout, but a W is a W. We went through the motions a bit tonight. Best thing was that T-New's injury was minor. He's really got to start playing better defense though. At least give us Hawkins level D.

Reaction Score
C+ performance and still won easily over a likely NCAAT team.

On to the next.

Reaction Score
Samson is a crap rim protector but that hedge has definitely led to a few shot clock violations. His rebounding numbers are garbage and he can’t be our starting 5 next year

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I like the high hedge and showing different defensive schemes. Seems to throw teams off. I havent seen where it really hurts us. I think our best defensive game was Creighton and we employed that. I thought it was very effective. I think better than Johnson hanging back in the lane. He's no Clingan in drop coverage.

Reaction Score
Yes, because a player can never improve especially over the off season.
He’s been here 3 years, it’s not even the offensive numbers he’s not giving us defense and rebounding from that spot

Reaction Score
Samson is a crap rim protector but that hedge has definitely led to a few shot clock violations. His rebounding numbers are garbage and he can’t be our starting 5 next year
Pretty obvious that if he’s our star 5 next year that will not do. He can be a somewhat adequate bench 5.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
He had great length/hands out there in the first half, really disruptive without fouling. Samson is going to be a weapon next year and will get better....but we will need to get muscle in the portal for sure.

Reaction Score
Two games in a row where we had to battle and definitely looked low energy. Cam’s value can’t not be overstated. He has an amazing ability to hit key shots and kill opponents’ momentum swings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom