Charlie Strong to USF? | The Boneyard

Charlie Strong to USF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw this earlier when I dumped it into Coaching Carousel thread - thinking its kinda weird that nobody else has anything on it but this guy and the guy on the Tampa news station who's last week it is.

Makes sense due to Florida ties. Uncle Luther Campbell was pumping Randy Shannon yesterday for his Dade/Broward ties.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
bobdiaco150_0516.jpg

"You got a problem with me? Well, do ya...punk?"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Randy Shannon would actually be on my list for UConn.

Strong is perfect for USF - it would
be better than even money he takes them to a NY6 bowl.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Meanwhile in Storrs, not a creature is stirring...not even a mouse.

Is there any chance anybody there is going to wake up before it's too late? Pretty soon most of the available quality candidates will have already been hired by other schools, some of which are in our own freakin' conference!

And please, no more crying and whining about how we can't afford it. What we really can't afford is playing a season of games in a half empty or less stadium, with donors cozying up with other schools.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Thanks, Medic. I started the thread because Sporting News was running with the story.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
With Diaco at the helm, this team goes 1-11 next year. The win comes vs HC only because they forgot their cleats and had to play in sketchers

Reaction Score
Randy Shannon would actually be on my list for UConn.

Strong is perfect for USF - it would
be better than even money he takes them to a NY6 bowl.

I'd like to see Randy get another chance somewhere. He was rushed into being a head coach by an administration that clearly didn't care about, or understand athletics. He should have been able to leave Miami, learn how to be a head coach at some small program and then move on to a bigger stage. He clearly wasn't ready to run a major program at that time, but he had to take the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Charlie Strong was bad at Louisville. That team was all Tedy Bridgewater. Otherwise, this guy is not a good coach. It was absolutely stunning that Louisville hired him in the first place. If I were a middling D1 school, I would have loved to have hired Matt Rhule. He performed miracles at Temple. I don't think he is a good fit with Baylor--and remember, Baylor hasn't always been a strong football school. They used to be awful.

Reaction Score
So
Will
I

Connecticut
College
Alternatives
For
Those
Who
Don't

Yale
Sacred Heart
CCSU
SCSU
ECSU
WCSC
New Haven
Wesleyan

What does this mean? Are you saying UConn fans who protest the retention of this miserable coaching staff should seek fandom elsewhere?

Reaction Score
We are going to get destroyed next season.
I can't believe I am going to type this, but...
BD went 2-6 for this season in 50/50 games (Navy, UVa, Cuse, Cinci, UCF, ECU, Tulane and BC; one could argue that BC and Tulane should be thrown out as the players were not into the last two games). No upset win. Every possible thing went wrong.

In 2015, he went 4-3 in 50/50 games (Army, Mo, Navy, UCF, Cinci, ECU, Tulane). One upset win (Houston). Every possible thing went right for him in 2015 from holding off Army, to Tulane being played in a monsoon, to UH being down their QB.

What was the difference between the two season in reality? Law of averages?

Next year has as much of a possibility of being 7-5 as it does being 1-11. The distaste of the end of this season is real for fans. The offense is horrible to watch. But what are the odds that everything goes wrong, every break falls the other way 100% of the time?

BD should be fired, but a new coach has the same chance with the current players as BD. That he is, presumably, going to be here next year does not doom the team to being horrible.

Maybe I recover faster than some of you but next year is not necessarily a repeat of this year.

Of course, it could be worse....

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Charlie Strong was bad at Louisville. That team was all Tedy Bridgewater. Otherwise, this guy is not a good coach. It was absolutely stunning that Louisville hired him in the first place. If I were a middling D1 school, I would have loved to have hired Matt Rhule. He performed miracles at Temple. I don't think he is a good fit with Baylor--and remember, Baylor hasn't always been a strong football school. They used to be awful.

I think this viewpoint is a bit extreme. It was stunning that UL hired him? He was a VERY successful DC at UF for years. It was surprising to Gator fans that he wasn't hired sooner. The only thing "stunning" was that he had to wait so long to be a head coach.

But...I do think it is a fair point to question how good of a HC he is until he is successful with Bridgewater. I think UConn fans are skeptical (fairly) because we saw a below average UConn team beat a supposedly much better UL team....at Louisville.

Reaction Score
BD went 2-6 for this season in 50/50 games (Navy, UVa, Cuse, Cinci, UCF, ECU, Tulane and BC; one could argue that BC and Tulane should be thrown out as the players were not into the last two games). No upset win. Every possible thing went wrong.

In 2015, he went 4-3 in 50/50 games (Army, Mo, Navy, UCF, Cinci, ECU, Tulane). One upset win (Houston). Every possible thing went right for him in 2015 from holding off Army, to Tulane being played in a monsoon, to UH being down their QB.

Next year has as much of a possibility of being 7-5 as it does being 1-11. The distaste of the end of this season is real for fans. The offense is horrible to watch. But what are the odds that everything goes wrong, every break falls the other way 100% of the time?

BD should be fired, but a new coach has the same chance with the current players as BD. That he is, presumably, going to be here next year does not doom the team to being horrible.

Maybe I recover faster than some of you but next year is not necessarily a repeat of this year.

The team has given up on him.

Recruiting is going to suffer because everyone is going to see the writing on the wall.

UConn is quickly transitioning from a Severe Coaching Deficit + Medium-Stage Talent Deficit to a Disastrous Coaching Deficit + Severe Talent Deficit.

In other words, it is near impossible for this to end well. We have no examples at any other schools of 4th year coaches turning things around when they go in the toilet this badly. If this were the NFL where you could retain talent through contracts, and also draft talented new blood, get rid of bad apples, etc., you'd have a chance. But not in college.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

While I appreciate your optimism...there will be one big difference next year....Sherriffs won't be there. I don't see anyone on the roster who is close to BS in capability...and that isn't exactly a high bar. Unless a transfer comes in who can start at QB, I don't see how the team is as competitive next year as they were early in the season this year.

I am sure once the spring rolls around I will become more optimistic....but it's tough to get there right now.

Reaction Score
I think this viewpoint is a bit extreme. It was stunning that UL hired him? He was a VERY successful DC at UF for years. It was surprising to Gator fans that he wasn't hired sooner. The only thing "stunning" was that he had to wait so long to be a head coach.

But...I do think it is a fair point to question how good of a HC he is until he is successful with Bridgewater. I think UConn fans are skeptical (fairly) because we saw a below average UConn team beat a supposedly much better UL team....at Louisville.

I meant that Texas hired him. Sorry.

I watched Strong for a couple years back then. The Louisville crowd was down on him until Bridgewater caught fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom