Charlie Strong to USF? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charlie Strong to USF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A lot of people on here talking about what we can/can't afford probably can't balance their own checking accounts.

As you know, it's not just the salary for the new coach that attracts candidates to a school. My point is/was why in this specific instance, at this point in time, would Strong choose UConn over USF or Oregon. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with your point - USF offers a better opportunity than UConn to win right away so that Strong can land another P5 job eventually.

My point is that if our inability to bring in top talent to UConn over these commuter schools in our conference (with a fraction of our AD budget) is a systemic issue, then we need to fix our system. If we can't figure out a way to use our $72M advantage that we hold towards bringing in a top staff, then our problems run deeper than I thought.

It's not Strong that I'm upset about, specifically. It's the fact that we can't even discuss bringing in a guy like Strong when he becomes available because our program is so much of a dumpster fire.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A lot of people on here talking about what we can/can't afford probably can't balance their own checking accounts.

As you know, it's not just the salary for the new coach that attracts candidates to a school. My point is/was why in this specific instance, at this point in time, would Strong choose UConn over USF or Oregon. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's not the point. The point is we are apparently not currently in the market for anybody, whether it be Strong or anybody else, because we've got a lead weight tied to our feet named Diaco. We're understandably sick and tired of watching other schools IN OUR OWN LEAGUE hire some of the best available coaches on the market.

Every second we sit idly on the sidelines watching this coaching sweepstakes go on without doing anything about it puts us further behind the other schools IN OUR OWN LEAGUE.

Can anyone imagine Bobby Diwhacko beating Strong or any of the other head coaches being hired by other AAC schools during the present hiring frenzy?

Reaction Score
I'll humor you. We have a $72M AD budget. Posters here claimed we couldn't hire him because we couldn't afford him. That may be true. However, it's incredibly difficult to stomach watching UConn (with a $72M budget) not find the money to bring in a big name coach but USF (with an AD budget about $20M less than ours) can.

If we can't pay someone $3M/yr to come coach here because "nobody wants to come here", then why would anyone want to pay money for tickets? Seriously. If nobody wants to come to UConn (coaches or players), what incentive is there for fans/alumni to come to the Rent? At some point, we need to put our New York Yankee-esque G5 payroll to better use, bite the necessary financial bullets, and take an "all-in" shot at rebuilding our football program back to a conference contender. If it doesn't work, then we will always have options 5-10 years from now to move basketball into better conferences...even as a standalone.

UConn Football is toxic to me right now because it is quite literally the only anchor keeping UConn out of a P5 and we are doing absolutely nothing about it. Fix football and we fix UConn. I believe in that with 100% of my bleeding blue heart.

When it comes to coaches, it is all about fit. Charlie Strong, based on his history, was probably not a good fit at Texas, but he is a good fit at USF. Also, USF brings back just about everyone, has a very easy 2017 schedule, and he will have a senior QB in Quinton Flowers, so he is taking over a very good situation. He should win 10 games plus next year as USF is not a rebuild.

As for pay, UConn is one of the top 3 to 4 highest paying jobs in the G5. The only places that are paying more that I can see (don't see the privates) are Navy, Cincinnati, and possibly Memphis. Strong's salary at USF will be odd because of his buyout at Texas that requires some of his coaching salary to offset his buyout.

Dooley

Reaction Score
That's not the point. The point is we are apparently not currently in the market for anybody, whether it be Strong or anybody else, because we've got a lead weight tied to our feet named Diaco. We're understandably sick and tired of watching other schools IN OUR OWN LEAGUE hire some of the best available coaches on the market.

Every second we sit idly on the sidelines watching this coaching sweepstakes go on without doing anything about it puts us further behind the other schools IN OUR OWN LEAGUE.

Can anyone imagine Bobby Diwhacko beating Strong or any of the other head coaches being hired by other AAC schools during the present hiring frenzy?

Yup. Other schools are looking to hire top guys - even if they are rebuked in their efforts. We're content with 6-7 seasons and value them $5M more than any other school would...even in the AAC. We can't even discuss replacing a 2-10/6-7/3-9 coach because somebody at UConn thinks so poorly of UConn that we tie ourselves to a $5M anchor after a combined 2 seasons of 8-17. Seriously? That's the absolute best we can do? 8-17 is enough of an incentive to aggressively tie ourselves to someone?

If we wind up canning Diaco and hiring Joe Moorhead on 1/1, then all is forgiven. Until then, I'm fired up and awfully cranky.

Dooley

Reaction Score
When it comes to coaches, it is all about fit. Charlie Strong, based on his history, was probably not a good fit at Texas, but he is a good fit at USF. Also, USF brings back just about everyone, has a very easy 2017 schedule, and he will have a senior QB in Quinton Flowers, so he is taking over a very good situation. He should win 10 games plus next year as USF is not a rebuild.

As for pay, UConn is one of the top 3 to 4 highest paying jobs in the G5. The only places that are paying more that I can see (don't see the privates) are Navy, Cincinnati, and possibly Memphis. Strong's salary at USF will be odd because of his buyout at Texas that requires some of his coaching salary to offset his buyout.

I understand Strong wanting USF > UConn. Quicker path to wins = quicker path back to a P5 job.

We were 7th in the AAC football coach salary. 7th. That's not even top half of a G5 conference. With our total AD budget being so significantly higher than everyone else in the G5, I expect a larger percentage of that money to go towards the one thing that actually has an affect of us ever getting out of the G5: football.

Reaction Score
I understand Strong wanting USF > UConn. Quicker path to wins = quicker path back to a P5 job.

We were 7th in the AAC football coach salary. 7th. That's not even top half of a G5 conference. With our total AD budget being so significantly higher than everyone else in the G5, I expect a larger percentage of that money to go towards the one thing that actually has an affect of us ever getting out of the G5: football.
Only Houston, Cincinnati, and Navy were above UConn in 2016 as Memphis, USF, and UCF paid about the same as UConn ($1.7 to $1.8 million). In 2015, Diaco made more then Herman at Houston, but when he got a big raise in 2016. For 2017, Applewhite will make less than Diaco, and Strong's salary will be odd due to his Texas buyout.

Reaction Score
That's not the point.
That was MY point - not any other peripheral points. Taggert left on his own accord>Strong is a natural fit for USF not a natural fit for UConn. Nothing to do w/ finances.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That was MY point - not any other peripheral points. Taggert left on his own accord>Strong is a natural fit for USF not a natural fit for UConn. Nothing to do w/ finances.

We would be just as unattractive to Strong even if we were to pay him more than USF is.

Reaction Score
People in strong's camp have said that he wanted his next job to be his last, if that's true USF hit a homerun

Dooley

Reaction Score

Charlie Strong. I get and agree with your point. Strong was never coming to UConn. I just want to make sure that when there is a big name available that is a good fit for UConn, that we can get him. Such as...

...Pat Narduzzi. We lost out on him because of low assistant coaching salary pool. Pitt is not a heavy hitting P5 job by any means - yet they commit to paying assistants fair market value and we don't. When Narduzzi wanted to bring in Matt Canada, Pitt ponied up the $500K/yr (soon to be $600K/yr) to hire him. Meanwhile, we scrape couch cushion change to bring in a bunch of duds and then are blindsided when we can't get a single first down on the majority of our possessions. The Narduzzi miss has a lot to do with finances. If Benedict/Goetz commit to paying $500-$600K/yr for an OC, then maybe Diaco brings in somebody who can run a 2017 FBS level offense. Maybe things turn around quickly like they did at Penn State when Franklin brought in...

...Joe Moorhead. He's a guy that fits perfectly for us and, I think, would help us score more points and win more games that will ultimately sell more tickets. He likely wouldn't come at a $3M/yr price tag either. If we can Diaco on 1/1 and hire Moorhead, that would be seen as a HUGE step in the right direction. I have little doubt that Moorhead would have the ability to round out a much better staff than Diaco has too.

But my money is on Diaco staying put, UConn continuing to shop from the assistant coaches dollar menu, and another "level 100 process year" for 2017. This is why this program and athletic department is so toxic to me right now. If we can't up our OC and DC salary to $500K range, and bump up the positional coaching staff salaries to modest levels, then our problem is very much a financial one. I understand the $5M buyout is tough to swallow - just as $3.4M buyout will be tough to swallow - but committing an additional $1M/yr to fund assistant coaches salary should not be this much of a teeth pull for a school with a $72M AD budget.

Reaction Score
Strong and Applewhite are solidifying the reputation of the AAC. As even potential destination jobs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Strong and Applewhite are solidifying the reputation of the AAC. As even potential destination jobs.

Yes. The AAC has established itself as "the next best" of the G5 and it's not close. The coaching hires of recent seasons have been nothing short of inspired and motivating: Herman, Frost, Morris, Montgomery, Norvell, Strong, Applewhite...all good hires. Fikell is an interesting one as it's a defensive background guy. But he comes out from under the Urban Meyer tree and if he is anything like Pat Narduzzi and open to bringing in a good OC, he can very much succeed at UC.

Reaction Score
Charlie Strong. I get and agree with your point. Strong was never coming to UConn. I just want to make sure that when there is a big name available that is a good fit for UConn, that we can get him. Such as...

...Pat Narduzzi. We lost out on him because of low assistant coaching salary pool.

That was the public rumor... But, Narduzzi and Diaco shared the same agent at the time so the assistant pool was too low for Narduzzi but not Diaco? I guess it is possible that Narduzzi had a better professional sounding board than Diaco did @ time when contemplating his staff and wasn't willing to compromise on dollars, but I also believe that Dantonio told him to hold out for a P5 opening and bumped his pay and Narduzzi backed out.

I do agree they need to bump the 9 staff positions salaries up where relevant.

Dooley

Reaction Score
That was the public rumor... But, Narduzzi and Diaco shared the same agent at the time so the assistant pool was too low for Narduzzi but not Diaco? I guess it is possible that Narduzzi had a better professional sounding board than Diaco did @ time when contemplating his staff and wasn't willing to compromise on dollars, but I also believe that Dantonio told him to hold out for a P5 opening and bumped his pay and Narduzzi backed out.

I'm willing to put stock in the rumor. I have no idea if it's completely true, just an excuse for Narduzzi to pull out, or complete fabrication. But I see Pitt paying its OC $500K and we pay ours $300K.

I'll calm down a bit if we can get our OC/DC in the $500K range. I know I'm a Debbie Downer these days. I hate it. I really do. Just incredibly frustrated with things (like everyone else).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I agree with your point - USF offers a better opportunity than UConn to win right away so that Strong can land another P5 job eventually.

My point is that if our inability to bring in top talent to UConn over these commuter schools in our conference (with a fraction of our AD budget) is a systemic issue, then we need to fix our system. If we can't figure out a way to use our $72M advantage that we hold towards bringing in a top staff, then our problems run deeper than I thought.

It's not Strong that I'm upset about, specifically. It's the fact that we can't even discuss bringing in a guy like Strong when he becomes available because our program is so much of a dumpster fire.
On paper, Diaco's resume in 2015 was comarable to Charlie Strong when Louisville hired him. Obviously when Texas hired strong he had established his bonafides as a HC from his time at UL. But it wasn't like UConn was scraping the bottom of the barrel. At the time he was hired, Diaco fit the bill of the up-and-coming guy who was pretty widely expected to win and get hired at Iowa or Notre Dame. Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Now if UConn decides to buy out Diaco, we might have to go for a FCS guy or some TE coach from the NFL. (Another PP). Then you'd be really pissed.

Reaction Score
Yes. The AAC has established itself as "the next best" of the G5 and it's not close.
Aside from the fact that Western Michigan is better than the AAC champion you mean? I don't see the AAC at the top of the G5. I think there is a lot of parity in the G5. Which means that the G5 is roughly at the level of the top half of the FCS schools.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Western Michigan is better than the AAC champion you mean? I don't see the AAC at the top of the G5. I think there is a lot of parity in the G5. Which means that the G5 is roughly at the level of the top half of the FCS schools.

Being that it is completely unprovable, I'll say that WMU had zero percent chance of running an AAC schedule this year.

Reaction Score
With Diaco at the helm, this team goes 1-11 next year. The win comes vs HC only because they forgot their cleats and had to play in sketchers
Wait they are close enough to run home and get the right foot wear and then come back and win. 0-12.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
While the AAC competition continues to grow stronger, we continue to regress and move backwards, all the while wondering what was and what could have been if only we weren't stuck in this "lowly" conference that we can't seem to win anything in.

Reaction Score

Have any of you guys really truly looked at the Assistants Staffing at our peer Conference Teams?

I am willing to bet - based only on the Experience level/where the Assistants come from - that the University of Connecticut staff is one of the highest paid in the conference. Seriously. If you get a guy from the University of Virginia or just was at Louisville or even the "Eric Fisher" guy or Michigan, do you think they get paid more or less than guys that came from Georgia Southern or Stephen F. Austin or Eastern Kentucky?

Diaco was given a good budget.

Reaction Score
Have any of you guys really truly looked at the Assistants Staffing at our peer Conference Teams?

I am willing to bet - based only on the Experience level/where the Assistants come from - that the University of Connecticut staff is one of the highest paid in the conference. Seriously. If you get a guy from the University of Virginia or just was at Louisville or even the "Eric Fisher" guy or Michigan, do you think they get paid more or less than guys that came from Georgia Southern or Stephen F. Austin or Eastern Kentucky?

Diaco was given a good budget.

Yes and your assertion is not true based on available data... Assistant Coaches Pool per USAT
  1. Houston - $2,419,000
  2. Memphis - $2,149,500
  3. Cincinnati - $2,140,000
  4. UCF - $2,130,000
  5. USF - $1,911,500
  6. UConn - $1,893,802
  7. ECU - $1,701,500
  8. Navy, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and Temple not listed.
I'm not going to argue HOW he spent the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom