Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the same article - "Collier, who had reopened her recruitment after committing to Texas in eighth grade, intends to major in broadcast journalism in Storrs."

Do I see a guided tour of ESPN in her future? ;)
For the rest of the country the tours at ESPN are free and open to the public born-and-bred from Bristol Connecticut

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still wayyyy to early to start debating but I think you meant to put Napheesa in Camara's spot. I just don't see her losing the starting position at all over the next 2 years.

Good point. Try again:

P (R-senior) - Azura Stevens (6'6")
F (senior) - Napheesa Collier (6'1")
G (junior) - Crystal Dangerfield (5'6")
G/F (senior) - Katie Lou Samuelson (6'3")
W (sophomore) - Megan Walker (6'1")

Off the bench:

F (R-junior) - Batouly Camara (6'2")
F (freshman) - Charlie Collier (6'5")
G (sophomore)- Mikayla Coombs (5'10")
F (junior)- Kyla Irwin- (6'2")
G (junior)- Molly Bent (5'8")
W (sophomore)- Lexi Gordon (5'11")
G (sophomore)- Andra Espinoza-Hunter (5'10")

Is this more accurate?

Reaction Score
Thought I heard

You forgot about Tina's 15' shot that she loved to take, and still does. That's what made her so tough; if she got the ball in the high post, she could pass around you, go by you, through you, or shoot over you. Ms. Collier looks like she can has the same skillset on tap, just needs to develop it. She DOES look like she is a year ahead of TC at this point.

If I'm not mistaken, for most of her career, Tina played mainly within five feet of the basket. She's really developed that outside shot as a pro. But this Charli Collier seems very comfortable with playing on the perimeter.

But then again, who knows what Coach Geno will do with her. He completely changed the game of Gabby Williams!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"During my unofficial I committed while I was there. I just wanted to make sure with my family that is what I wanted to do."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Charli Collier commits to UConn

"The team had so much chemistry together and how everybody got along, when I went on my unofficial I just felt that family feeling and knew this was where I want to be," Collier said.

Collier was also impressed by how well the UConn coaching staff develops top post players.

"I am really excited to get down there," Collier said. "I watched Stefanie Dolson, Morgan Tuck. I watched them (Tuck and Breanna Stewart) last year, I see how they develop. It is amazing to see how good they were freshman year and how amazing they were senior year. That progress through the years is amazing, they weren't content at all and improved each year."

"Committing, of course they have 11 national championships," Collier said. "When I get there, I'd like to help them get four more."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plenty of turkey left, but I'm out of confetti.

The WCBB world must be cringing right now! A NC almost guaranteed next year, and then another?

When Bre predicted 4 NCs, people cringed inwardly: what arrogance. Now Charli has laid down the same marker. In her case, she may have even more ammo than Stewart (if that's possible). Start on the new banners and the black bunting for the rest of WCBB. If this be ARROGANCE, let me revel in it. Oops: throw the confetti not the damned turkey! Jeesh.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, for most of her career, Tina played mainly within five feet of the basket. She's really developed that outside shot as a pro. But this Charli Collier seems very comfortable with playing on the perimeter.

But then again, who knows what Coach Geno will do with her. He completely changed the game of Gabby Williams!
Her senior year she consistently hit the elbow jumper

Reaction Score
...First Megan, now Charli. Remember last year at a presser where she stated (with a very serious demeanor, I might add) that there is no reason for a player to ever leave the state of Texas to play basketball. We had better bring our A game. :cool:
Mea culpa, mea culpa ...Can't believe I left Lexi out of the migration (even more surprising is that nobody called me on it :eek: ). So ...first Lexi, then Megan, now Charli. Before they're done there might even be a Myra!

Coach Karen must reeeeally be PO'd.

Reaction Score
Is this the biggest decade of recruiting excellence that Coach Auriemma has ever experienced? Seems to have begun with Tina Charles' arrival on campus in fall 2006. The next year, we welcomed Maya Moore. The next year Tiffany Hayes. The next year, Kelly Faris.

That totals three WNBA stars, and another pro (Faris) in four years: 2006-2009.

But since then, we've seen:

Stephanie Dolson and Bria Hartley- fall 2010
Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis and Kia Stokes- 2011
Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck- 2012
Saniya Chong- 2013
Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams- 2014
Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson- 2015
Crystal Dangerfield- 2016
Megan Walker- 2017
Charli Collier- 2018

So in the past nine years, it appears that UConn has recruited fifteen players virtually assured of playing in the WNBA, and thirteen who have, or should be, All-Americans.

Has Auriemma ever had an extended number of years in which he's recruited so many top players? He went through a real talent drought from fall 2000 when Diana Taurasi appeared until fall 2006 when Tina Charles arrived. Though he had some good players, none was an All-American.

Reaction Score
Good point. Try again:

Off the bench:

F (R-junior) - Batouly Camara (6'2")
F (freshman) - Charlie Collier (6'5")
G (sophomore)- Mikayla Coombs (5'10")
F (junior)- Kyla Irwin- (6'2")
G (junior)- Molly Bent (5'8")
W (sophomore)- Lexi Gordon (5'11")
G (sophomore)- Andra Espinoza-Hunter (5'10")

Is this more accurate?

Accurate you ask? That's not even fair....

Reaction Score
Yep, we're cringing. If UCONN wins the title this year, we could easily be looking at 8-9 straight titles in Storrs.

I know that other program do not have the luxury to recruit in the same way that Connecticut does, but every season, Geno recruits 1-2 standout kids, and 1-2 players who know they'll be a role player or see limited minutes at UCONN. Ones who are not happy with this usually fizzle out, the program consistently has a couple of star upperclassmen and 1-2 star underclassmen waiting in the wings. From how he builds his rosters, it seems like Geno intentionally leaves gaps at positions where he wants a stud player to fit in. There was a perfect opening for KLS with the graduation of KML, a perfect opening for Dangerfield with Jefferson leaving, a perfect opening for Walker since UCONN needed guard/forwards her class, a perfect opening for Collier with the graduation of Butler and no true post players on the roster, etc. Obviously, top kids have confidence that they'll earn their playing time no matter where they go, but Geno almost seems to create the perfect vacancy for the top kids he recruits, and whether it is said or not, they know they'll be able to slide in nicely from day 1.

Back to Collier--she looks like a classic four who can fill the void in the post. A true 5 will not be needed with UCONN's roster since they'll have Napheesa Collier, Charli Collier and Azure Stevens who can man time inside. I imagine 2018 and 2019 will be similar to how UCONN thrived without a 'true center' in 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 (besides Stokes in limited minutes), and 2016. Charli has a good strong build, good agility and footwork, and she is very very smooth around the basket. I think she'll have a role similar to the one Charles had at UCONN where she is going to be a primary post but has a good face up game and will be the shot blocker inside.

Collier is ranked #7, but I think she's more "college ready" than some of the prospects ahead of her. Obviously, she still has 2 years of high school/AAU ball to go, but I see her being a strong contributor from day 1 and will likely start for 3 years.

UCONN's roster in 2018-19 looks like:
F-Azure Stevens (RS-Sr)...AA honors at Duke
F-KLS (Sr)..2015#1 recruit
F-Collier (Sr)..2015 top 10 recruit
G/F-Walker (So)...2017 #1 recruit
G-Dangerfield (So)...2016 #3 recruit

F/C-Collier...2018 top 10 recruit
G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)

What about

Batouly Camara

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I knew UConn was the best place for me," Collier said shortly after sending out her tweet at 1 p.m. "I chose to announce today because it's Thanksgiving weekend and I certainly have a lot to be thankful for."

Collier chose UConn over 11 other finalists -- Baylor, Duke, Houston, Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and USC. She is the first player from the Class of 2018 to commit to the Huskies.

"Connecticut has a great winning tradition and they have Coach Auriemma," Collier said. "I really believe he's the coach, more than any other, than can bring out the best in me. I've watched the players that have gone into his program and seen how they have succeeded at UConn and beyond. I really believe I can grow and be 10 times or more the player that I am now."

Top 2018 recruit Charli Collier commits to UConn

There is nothing new under the sun is there, and that's just fine by me. You too?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
When Bre predicted 4 NCs, people cringed inwardly: what arrogance.

This is getting int0 urban legend terrritory. Stewie did not predict she would win 4 NCs, she said she wanted to win them. There's huge difference between a prediction and a desire. Somehow, the media didn't seem to know that -- predictions make better copy than do aspirations, after all.

Joe Namath predicted the Jets would shock the world; Stewie was never cocky enough to engage in predictions.

Reaction Score
Good point. Try again:

Azura Stevens (6'6")
Napheesa Collier (6'1")
Katie Lou Samuelson (6'3")
Those three will be the top 3 in WNBA draft 2019

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
WOW. What an embarrassment of riches UCONN will have over the next few years. Congrats on a great pick-up from the Lone Star state. Do I sense a trend?

Maybe?:

Uncle-Scrooge-art-collection-expected-to-bring--700-000--at-auction.jpg

Reaction Score
WOW. What an embarrassment of riches UCONN will have over the next few years. Congrats on a great pick-up from the Lone Star state. Do I sense a trend?
I hope so. I don't know if you've ever heard this, but they say everything is bigger in Texas. :rolleyes:
And most of the time that is plus when it comes to basketball. :D

Reaction Score
I think the recent recruiting successes are not only great for the future but actually help this year. The current team is playing with house money and know reinforcements are on the way (ok, except for Ms. Chong, who is sitting with three rings in her fingers). Meanwhile, the other contending programs feel more and more pressure to win this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown