Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep, we're cringing. If UCONN wins the title this year, we could easily be looking at 8-9 straight titles in Storrs.

I know that other program do not have the luxury to recruit in the same way that Connecticut does, but every season, Geno recruits 1-2 standout kids, and 1-2 players who know they'll be a role player or see limited minutes at UCONN. Ones who are not happy with this usually fizzle out, the program consistently has a couple of star upperclassmen and 1-2 star underclassmen waiting in the wings. From how he builds his rosters, it seems like Geno intentionally leaves gaps at positions where he wants a stud player to fit in. There was a perfect opening for KLS with the graduation of KML, a perfect opening for Dangerfield with Jefferson leaving, a perfect opening for Walker since UCONN needed guard/forwards her class, a perfect opening for Collier with the graduation of Butler and no true post players on the roster, etc. Obviously, top kids have confidence that they'll earn their playing time no matter where they go, but Geno almost seems to create the perfect vacancy for the top kids he recruits, and whether it is said or not, they know they'll be able to slide in nicely from day 1.

Back to Collier--she looks like a classic four who can fill the void in the post. A true 5 will not be needed with UCONN's roster since they'll have Napheesa Collier, Charli Collier and Azure Stevens who can man time inside. I imagine 2018 and 2019 will be similar to how UCONN thrived without a 'true center' in 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 (besides Stokes in limited minutes), and 2016. Charli has a good strong build, good agility and footwork, and she is very very smooth around the basket. I think she'll have a role similar to the one Charles had at UCONN where she is going to be a primary post but has a good face up game and will be the shot blocker inside.

Collier is ranked #7, but I think she's more "college ready" than some of the prospects ahead of her. Obviously, she still has 2 years of high school/AAU ball to go, but I see her being a strong contributor from day 1 and will likely start for 3 years.

UCONN's roster in 2018-19 looks like:
F-Azure Stevens (RS-Sr)...AA honors at Duke
F-KLS (Sr)..2015#1 recruit
F-Collier (Sr)..2015 top 10 recruit
G/F-Walker (So)...2017 #1 recruit
G-Dangerfield (So)...2016 #3 recruit

F/C-Collier...2018 top 10 recruit
G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)

This assumes that Azure Stevens remains for that second year at Storrs, rather than go pro. If she takes off after the one year, Collier would seem a certain fit into the starting line-up.

UConn could be down to nine players on the roster by then. But it will be a powerful core.

Who else does UConn want in 2018? The guard Chrysten Williams? Is Shakira Austin still a possibility? Is Jarosinski on the radar?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Welcome, Charli! We are thrilled that you have chosen UConn. It is really a unique place, with a sense of family, great coaches, and the best fan base.

Best wishes for a great junior season! Keep doing what Geno advises. You'll make your family proud!

Reaction Score
Everyone is so excited, but you guys haven't considered the down side. :(

Coach K.A. must be REALLY ticked right about now, and in nine days she and her trees will be up here to play us. Yikes! :eek: First Megan, now Charli. Remember last year at a presser where she stated (with a very serious demeanor, I might add) that there is no reason for a player to ever leave the state of Texas to play basketball.

We had better bring our A game.
:cool:

Reaction Score
If you're concerned that CC isn't a true center, consider that ESPN #1 post player Aliyah Boston '19 is still in the mix for UConn

Collier strikes me as more Breanna than Tina. Seems to like shooting from the perimeter and from 10 feet. Tina, at least while at UConn was a straightforward go to the basket, underneath player.

Very impressive!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yep, we're cringing. If UCONN wins the title this year, we could easily be looking at 8-9 straight titles in Storrs.

I know that other program do not have the luxury to recruit in the same way that Connecticut does, but every season, Geno recruits 1-2 standout kids, and 1-2 players who know they'll be a role player or see limited minutes at UCONN. Ones who are not happy with this usually fizzle out, the program consistently has a couple of star upperclassmen and 1-2 star underclassmen waiting in the wings. From how he builds his rosters, it seems like Geno intentionally leaves gaps at positions where he wants a stud player to fit in. There was a perfect opening for KLS with the graduation of KML, a perfect opening for Dangerfield with Jefferson leaving, a perfect opening for Walker since UCONN needed guard/forwards her class, a perfect opening for Collier with the graduation of Butler and no true post players on the roster, etc. Obviously, top kids have confidence that they'll earn their playing time no matter where they go, but Geno almost seems to create the perfect vacancy for the top kids he recruits, and whether it is said or not, they know they'll be able to slide in nicely from day 1.

Back to Collier--she looks like a classic four who can fill the void in the post. A true 5 will not be needed with UCONN's roster since they'll have Napheesa Collier, Charli Collier and Azure Stevens who can man time inside. I imagine 2018 and 2019 will be similar to how UCONN thrived without a 'true center' in 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 (besides Stokes in limited minutes), and 2016. Charli has a good strong build, good agility and footwork, and she is very very smooth around the basket. I think she'll have a role similar to the one Charles had at UCONN where she is going to be a primary post but has a good face up game and will be the shot blocker inside.

Collier is ranked #7, but I think she's more "college ready" than some of the prospects ahead of her. Obviously, she still has 2 years of high school/AAU ball to go, but I see her being a strong contributor from day 1 and will likely start for 3 years.

G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)
Left out Camara as a RS JR. Big body down low.
One of the impressive things with Uconn recruiting has always been the selectiveness of the players they seriously go after - it was pretty obviously different from most other programs - Pat always seemed to have a log jam of post players while Geno was more content to run with skilled forwards for stretches until he could find another skilled post he wanted to work with and could get to commit. Some of that was the vagaries of recruiting, but some was by design - the few times he really stretched for a player out of need rather than choice, he regretted it.

What I find interesting is that the next two years partly because of two unexpected transfers have such full teams - again vagaries of recruiting perhaps trumping the planning process.

Reaction Score
F-Azura Stevens (RS-Sr)...AA honors at Duke
G-Dangerfield (JR)...2016 #3 recruit

G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)

Also
F - Camara (RS-Jr)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)
Don't forget Camara.

Reaction Score
So looking at a possible starting line-up of:

P- Azura Stevens (6'6")
F- Batouly Camara (6'2")
G- Crystal Dangerfield (5'6")
G/F- Katie Lou Samuelson (6'3")
W- Megan Walker (6'1")

Coming off the bench:

6'5" Charlie Collier
G- Coombs
F- Irwin
G- Bent
G- Gordon
G- Hunter

Is that about the size of it so far?

Reaction Score
Collier strikes me as more Breanna than Tina. Seems to like shooting from the perimeter and from 10 feet. Tina, at least while at UConn was a straightforward go to the basket, underneath player.

Very impressive!

I'm more impressed with her as being "Tina" - she looks like she can develop into a beast down on the blocks. But then again I've only seen a few highlights.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
So looking at a possible starting line-up of:

P- Azura Stevens (6'6")
F- Batouly Camara (6'2")
G- Crystal Dangerfield (5'6")
G/F- Katie Lou Samuelson (6'3")
W- Megan Walker (6'1")

Coming off the bench:

6'5" Charlie Collier
G- Coombs
F- Irwin
G- Bent
G- Gordon
G- Hunter

Is that about the size of it so far?

Still wayyyy to early to start debating but I think you meant to put Napheesa in Camara's spot. I just don't see her losing the starting position at all over the next 2 years.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Everyone is so excited, but you guys haven't considered the down side. :(

Coach K.A. must be REALLY ticked right about now, and in nine days she and her trees will be up here to play us. Yikes! :eek: First Megan, now Charli. Remember last year at a presser where she stated (with a very serious demeanor, I might add) that there is no reason for a player to ever leave the state of Texas to play basketball.

We had better bring our A game.
:cool:

We will. Although there is still plenty of time, I'd thought Karen's team would have shown more by this time. I'm beginning to think that her team is what it is.

Reaction Score
Thought I heard
Tina, at least while at UConn was a straightforward go to the basket, underneath player.

Very impressive!
You forgot about Tina's 15' shot that she loved to take, and still does. That's what made her so tough; if she got the ball in the high post, she could pass around you, go by you, through you, or shoot over you. Ms. Collier looks like she can has the same skillset on tap, just needs to develop it. She DOES look like she is a year ahead of TC at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom