CFP to remain 4 teams through ’25 after expansion talks fail | The Boneyard

CFP to remain 4 teams through ’25 after expansion talks fail

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
bullcrap and a chicken crap decision for the SEC, and Big Ten,

Reaction Score
Maybe it pushes Notre Dame to join a conference
I have seen message board posts like this one whenever something happens in college football for about the past 20-25 years.

The playoffs have been four teams since 2014. How is keeping things the same for the next five years going to change ND's position on football independence ?

Reaction Score
I have seen message board posts like this one whenever something happens in college football for about the past 20-25 years.

The playoffs have been four teams since 2014. How is keeping things the same for the next five years going to change ND's position on football independence ?
Only if they don’t get a sniff for the next five years. ND is what it is, but it isn’t 1965 any more. A prolonged stretch of 9-3s and trips to the Poulan weed-eater Bowl in Muncie changes lots of things, especially if league champs start getting bids.

Reaction Score

The path to a play in game is a hell of a lot easier with conference affiliation than with independence.

We all know the committe favors conference champions. ND in the ACC this past year would have won the ACC.

The SEC doesn't care about ND's status because they know that they can put two teams in the play in game and they'll let the remaining conferences and independents fight it out for the next two spots. Add Texas and Oklahoma and their conference schedule will be stronger, which is why they'll play vanilla out of conference games, while ND will continue to play a brutal schedule that it must play in order to have a shot.

I won't be surprised if a two or maybe even three loss SEC team makes the play in over a one loss ND team. The rational will be, we play a strong conference schedule.

There's a reason why Kelly bolted from to LSU. He knows that's the path a national title. He could have gone to USC as well.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame knows it is not competitive on the field in football against the top SEC and B1G powers. It has two strengths going for it:

1- the massive amount of baby boomer generation fans that follow it and drive their ratings and interest.

2- the agreement they made with the ACC to be part football members. This lets them stay relevant with younger fans while ensuring they pick and choose who they play in their independent aspect of their schedule. This nicely limits the number of games where they get outclassed on the field. (This fact gets exposed when you look at their record in the CFP games).

They're going to ride this as far as they can. Number 1 will become less of a factor as the Boomers move on (and fewer people practice Catholcism and/or tolerate it enough to watch ND). Timing wise, it might intersect with the assumed changes to the CFP, to the continued financial might of the SEC and B1G, the crossroads the ACC will reach when their media deal and GOR comes up, etc.

I'd be surprised to see ND make any bold move until they have to/around the end of this decade.

Reaction Score
Anybody care to take a WAG at which two don't support expansion?

Actually...it is three who DON'T support expansion and two who do...the SEC and Big 12 do support. The B1G, ACC, And PAC do not...The Alliance voted no.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand 12 teams except for the need to give the top 4 a huge preparation advantage. 8 would work fine. 5 x P5 Conference Champs, Top G5, next 2 highest ranked. Done.

Reaction Score
Only if they don’t get a sniff for the next five years. ND is what it is, but it isn’t 1965 any more. A prolonged stretch of 9-3s and trips to the Poulan weed-eater Bowl in Muncie changes lots of things, especially if league champs start getting bids.
ND is 54-10 in the last five seasons, with two playoff berths and a NY 6 bowl bid.

Not many teams have done better other than the very elite. So, I think ND will get some "sniffs", no worries.

Reaction Score
The path to a play in game is a hell of a lot easier with conference affiliation than with independence.

We all know the committe favors conference champions. ND in the ACC this past year would have won the ACC.

The SEC doesn't care about ND's status because they know that they can put two teams in the play in game and they'll let the remaining conferences and independents fight it out for the next two spots. Add Texas and Oklahoma and their conference schedule will be stronger, which is why they'll play vanilla out of conference games, while ND will continue to play a brutal schedule that it must play in order to have a shot.

I won't be surprised if a two or maybe even three loss SEC team makes the play in over a one loss ND team. The rational will be, we play a strong conference schedule.

There's a reason why Kelly bolted from to LSU. He knows that's the path a national title. He could have gone to USC as well.
Kelly left because LSU guaranteed him $9.5 million a year for ten years. ND had tired of his annual flirtations and salary increase attempts and would not give Kelly another deal with three years left on his then current one.

You mistakenly think that the "easier path" to the playoffs from ACC membership is worth giving up football independence to ND.

ND clearly doesn't think it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND is 54-10 in the last five seasons, with two playoff berths and a NY 6 bowl bid.

Not many teams have done better other than the very elite. So, I think ND will get some "sniffs", no worries.
Yes, they are popular but they really are a former elite program and over the past 3 or 4 decades are a bit of smoke and mirrors in terms of using favorable scheduling as an independent and media bias in terms of the polls. Here's some data:

All-time record929–331–42 (.730)
Bowl record18–21 (.462)
Playoff appearances2 (2018, 2020)
Playoff record0–2

Here's additional context and details:

Reaction Score

Yeah with Brian Kelley as head coach. The 3 previous coaches were 35-25 Over 5 years, 25-15 over 3 years and 35-27 over 5 years. including some pretty weak seasons. Davies went 19-16 in his last 3 years. Willingham went 11-12 over his last 2 years. Weis went 16-21 over his last 3 years. Of course you also hired Faust. You guys have a new coach who blew a huge lead in his bowl game. Not an auspicious beginning. There are no guarantees in this business.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gutless idiots that listen only to P5 ADs and Presidents because they are afraid that they will form their own consortium - which they will no matter what the NCAA does

It would be so much better if they opened it to 16 teams

As far as Notre Dame is concerned - I hope they never play for a NC - they screwed the OBE and now the ACC - they feel they have a right to call the shots their way and the problem is - people let them. They deserve none of the independence that they enjoy. There are far more successful collegiate athletic programs than them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom