Celtics Brown biggest NBA deal ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Celtics Brown biggest NBA deal ever

Reaction Score
VanVleet seems like a weird target, there are some pretty bad contracts across the league but a top 30-40 player in the league getting a max contract doesn't seem all that crazy

Reaction Score
VanVleet seems like a weird target, there are some pretty bad contracts across the league but a top 30-40 player in the league getting a max contract doesn't seem all that crazy
I think he perfectly illustrates how insane the money is now. A borderline top 50 guy making $43 mil per year is insane to me.

Reaction Score
Young multi-sport stars need to take note of this. The NBA contracts are insane. $50-60 million per year? Baseball contracts are $30-40 million for top players. In the NFL, the contracts are no where near that except for top quarterbacks and your body gets pulverized and you risk CTE.

If I'm a top young athlete having to pick a sport to pursue professionally, I'm going basketball all day every day. The only thing going for the NFL is overall numbers of players, but most players don't earn enough to live off of for life. Even soccer is becoming more attractive than the NFL.

Reaction Score
Young multi-sport stars need to take note of this. The NBA contracts are insane. $50-60 million per year? Baseball contracts are $30-40 million for top players. In the NFL, the contracts are no where near that except for top quarterbacks and your body gets pulverized and you risk CTE.

If I'm a top young athlete having to pick a sport to pursue professionally, I'm going basketball all day every day. The only thing going for the NFL is overall numbers of players, but most players don't earn enough to live off of for life. Even soccer is becoming more attractive than the NFL.
It will be interesting to see what sport drives the NCAA bus in 10 years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And Barkley can’t get 20 million guaranteed from the Giants, wrong sport and wrong position I guess.
different sport different position

Reaction Score
2 years from now this will be a non factor.

Ppl forget that for a few months or so, Mike Conley was the highest paid guy in the NBA

Reaction Score
2 years from now this will be a non factor.

Ppl forget that for a few months or so, Mike Conley was the highest paid guy in the NBA
I think the story will be that Tatum is up for his contract after this upcoming season. If they don't win it all this next season do you put over $600 million into two players?

Reaction Score
As someone living in Atlanta I wonder how much money in Career NBA earnings ATL born NBA players have made. It’s certainly in the multi billions.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what sport drives the NCAA bus in 10 years.
Football will always be king no matter what.

It’s a sport that’s marketing is driven by teams so it almost doesn’t matter who they throw out there.

If what @HuskyHawk said is true about Patriot season tickets still having a waitlist it kind of proves that point. No one player will affect NFL fans rooting for their team. In basketball, especially pros, that absolutely matters.

Reaction Score
They said on The FAN today that Brown and Tatum's contracts are worth more than the Knick's entire roster. The Knicks obviously have a lot of young players who haven't hit the jackpot yet.

Reaction Score

It’s a sport that’s marketing is driven by teams so it almost doesn’t matter who they throw out there.

If what @HuskyHawk said is true about Patriot season tickets still having a waitlist it kind of proves that point. No one player will affect NFL fans rooting for their team. In basketball, especially pros, that absolutely matters.
For the foreseeable future but there's no way of knowing if it will always be king no matter what.

There's already been significant demographic and regional changes as to who is playing the sport.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For the foreseeable future but there's no way of knowing if it will always be king no matter what.

There's already been significant demographic and regional changes as to who is playing the sport.
It will be interesting to see if the talent level effects how many fans watch it. You also don’t have to be the most talented to be great (see Tom Brady). Football will pretty much take anyone who can play.

Even the Lions were able to sell out off simply getting a new coach after almost a decade of being bad.

If it ever did fall off, it probably would take a lot longer than 10 years.

Reaction Score
Is Jaylen Brown even a top 20 player in the NBA right now? Absolutely insane that this guy is getting 60MM/year.

Reaction Score
Is Jaylen Brown even a top 20 player in the NBA right now? Absolutely insane that this guy is getting 60MM/year.
He was 2nd team All-NBA this year, so top 10 (at least of guys that were healthy and such). 27-7-4 and a good defender as well. He's 26 so hitting his absolute prime now in this contract.

Reaction Score

The CTE issues are causing lots of parents from letting kids play. Will the pipeline dry up? Might be another generation, but who knows? I know that if we’re left out of everything, I won’t waste anytime watching. It’s all about the money, right?

Reaction Score
Out of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters who voted for the 2023 All NBA teams 1 thought he was first team, 45 thought he was second team and 29 thought he was third team. So seems most think pretty highly of him, which is why he was 2nd team All NBA and eligible for a Supermax contract.

I agree the money is ridiculous for him but he was eligible for the Supermax and I'm not sure what choice the Celtics had.

Reaction Score
Comical. They pay jaylen who’s not even a top 10 player but saquon can’t get a deal. Lotta money to pay for a guy who can’t go left. Lol

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
C's will be worse next year. Losing Smart was not smart, and now this. Salaries go up every year....don't be shocked by the next one.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Seems crazy but when even better players come up for a contract they will sail right past that number, the money in sports is getting more and more outrageous.
Legalized gambling is funding it all.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see Jaylen as a difference maker when he needs to step up in the playoffs.

caw

Reaction Score
Out of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters who voted for the 2023 All NBA teams 1 thought he was first team, 45 thought he was second team and 29 thought he was third team. So seems most think pretty highly of him, which is why he was 2nd team All NBA and eligible for a Supermax contract.

I agree the money is ridiculous for him but he was eligible for the Supermax and I'm not sure what choice the Celtics had.

Lot to do with injuries and rest affecting how players were viewed this past year.

He is pretty durable and plays so he’s going to look better than some better players during the regular season.

Debatable if he is a top twenty playoff player, but he’s no worse than top 30.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom