Celtics Brown biggest NBA deal ever | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Celtics Brown biggest NBA deal ever

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He was 2nd team All-NBA this year, so top 10 (at least of guys that were healthy and such). 27-7-4 and a good defender as well. He's 26 so hitting his absolute prime now in this contract.
I think we may forget that he can keep improving. The ill advised drives in traffic, turnovers can all be solved. Tristen Newton is 22. Spencer is 23.

One challenge that hindered both JB and JT is the lack of any inside offensive outlet aside from lobs to Rob. Brad knew it and fixed it. I think the impact on turnovers is going to be significant. Expect Brown‘s assists to go up and TOs down, even if scoring also dips slightly.

Reaction Score
Comical. They pay jaylen who’s not even a top 10 player but saquon can’t get a deal. Lotta money to pay for a guy who can’t go left. Lol
1690370628462.jpeg

Reaction Score
As long as Jaylen doesn't immediately regress, this deal will be favorable for the Celtics. With the way salaries are always climbing in these major sports, locking up your stars long-term is an important part of creating a winning culture. Golden State obviously had a ton of success doing it, Denver is reaping the benefits right now, Milwaukee won a championship because they were willing to pay Giannis and Middleton, etc.

By the end of this contract, there's a chance Jaylen isn't even in the top 20 in NBA salaries; the highest salary from 5 years ago was Steph's $37MM a year, now Jaylen is getting almost double that.

Reaction Score
These players are no different than other "TV Stars" who make up to $1 million per episode. If Celtics make the playoffs this salary will easily pay for itself with viewer ratings and advertising $$. 82 "episodes" per year doesn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
These players are no different than other "TV Stars" who make up to $1 million per episode. If Celtics make the playoffs this salary will easily pay for itself with viewer ratings and advertising $$. 82 "episodes" per year doesn't hurt either.
It's not about if the Celtics have the money to pay him, og course they do. If the Celtics just make the playoffs it's a massive failure, anything less than a championship for them next season is a failure.

Reaction Score
It's not about if the Celtics have the money to pay him, og course they do. If the Celtics just make the playoffs it's a massive failure, anything less than a championship for them next season is a failure.
Did you not listen to Giannis after the Bucks lost in the playoffs this year? Lol

Reaction Score
It’s a tough situation. You absolutely have to re-sign him so you don’t lose an incredible asset for nothing. But I do not want this guy as my 2nd option. It is obvious that teams target him in the playoffs and his handle is laughable for a star. It’s almost like the playoffs are a different sport than the regular season. If they slide him down to the 3rd or 4th ball handler, perfect. He has done very well in the playoffs before when not asked to be on ball as much.

Reaction Score
For a perspective that’s more than a 1000 times greater than the average G league salary. Those guys are vastly underpaid.
I remember when the NBA was a step child . Guys Like Bird , Magic , and MJ elevated the salaries astronomically in the 1990’s
Wilt only made $100,000 in 1965-66
Bird broke the $ 5,000,000 mark in 1991-92
Magic the $10,000,000 in 1995-96
MJ $30,000,000 1997-98
That was a record that stood for 20 years until Curry in 2017-18 $34,000,000
This salary is double Curry’s that’s amazing growth .

Reaction Score
For a perspective that’s more than a 1000 times greater than the average G league salary. Those guys are vastly underpaid.
I remember when the NBA was a step child . Guys Like Bird , Magic , and MJ elevated the salaries astronomically in the 1990’s
Wilt only made $100,000 in 1965-66
Bird broke the $ 5,000,000 mark in 1991-92
Magic the $10,000,000 in 1995-96
MJ $30,000,000 1997-98
That was a record that stood for 20 years until Curry in 2017-18 $34,000,000
This salary is double Curry’s that’s amazing growth .
I may be mistaken but a common thread of past salary movers seems to be Championships .
So this signing is really unusual.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Everyone outraged about the size of sports contracts basically implies they'd be happier with all that money staying with the owners.
Not really. There are those of us who look at a bigger picture of society being broken.

(In 2023 terms, I'm an influencer representing common sense, taking no compensation :p).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Young multi-sport stars need to take note of this. The NBA contracts are insane. $50-60 million per year? Baseball contracts are $30-40 million for top players. In the NFL, the contracts are no where near that except for top quarterbacks and your body gets pulverized and you risk CTE.

If I'm a top young athlete having to pick a sport to pursue professionally, I'm going basketball all day every day. The only thing going for the NFL is overall numbers of players, but most players don't earn enough to live off of for life. Even soccer is becoming more attractive than the NFL.
At least in MLB, you've got WAR, which isn't perfect, but is nonetheless a mostly agreed-upon metric for determining a players value. I don't really follow the NBA much, so I don't know what the equivalent is.

Anyway, to your second point, you definitely don't want to be a running back. You're better off being an OL guy. Longer career if you're good and you can eat like crazy and nobody really minds.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not really. There are those of us who look at a bigger picture of society being broken.

(In 2023 terms, I'm an influencer representing common sense, taking no compensation :p).
If I'm looking for signs that society is broken Jaylen Brown's contract isn't making the top 1,000 reasons

Reaction Score
2 years from now this will be a non factor.

Ppl forget that for a few months or so, Mike Conley was the highest paid guy in the NBA
Very true. Justin Herbert is now the highest paid player in the NFL. Does he deserve to be? No. But it's the timing and someone else will surpass that and he will move down the list in a couple years.

Reaction Score
Jalen Brunson contract is a steal only making 100 mill for 4 years. Ya only lol.

Reaction Score
And Barkley can’t get 20 million guaranteed from the Giants, wrong sport and wrong position I guess.
Andrew Thomas gets 67 mill guaranteed instead. Tough business being a RB.

Reaction Score
Everyone outraged about the size of sports contracts basically implies they'd be happier with all that money staying with the owners.
It does seem like you ought to be able to dribble left to be the highest-paid player, though
Nice try, but no. Most fans are smart enough to evaluate individual players and whether or not that amount of money is worth it for the value that player adds. Not a Celtics fan, nor a close follower of the NBA in general, but seems like a big "NO" in this case.

Seems fairly clear that giving 33% of the team's entire available salary to one guy isn't all that bright in the first place. Like in the NFL where you have to pay 53 guys and one guy like DeShaun Watson or Kyler Murray gets 22% of the cap for themselves. Its just dumb

Reaction Score
Seems crazy but when even better players come up for a contract they will sail right past that number, the money in sports is getting more and more outrageous.
Especially in the NBA. The wnba players are going to be pi$$ed lol!

Reaction Score
Very true. Justin Herbert is now the highest paid player in the NFL. Does he deserve to be? No. But it's the timing and someone else will surpass that and he will move down the list in a couple years.

Except the way the NFL structures contracts, Herbert's deal is really 5 years for $193M. His cap hits for the last two years are over $60M per year. He'll never play those years under that money. That isn't how NBA contracts work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom