Cardoso to SC | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ther are two things that are puzzling to me about this decision. The first is the assumption by some that she chose SC over UConn. Is there any indication of this? All I’ve seen is a post claiming she wanted to go to either UConn or Auburn. I have seen nothing that indicates UConn went after her. It seems far more likely that her interest in UConn was not reciprocated for some reason and she latched onto the next likely contender. I think that Geno et al probably felt the overall downside was greater than the possible upside. The other puzzler is that she would go to a place where there is already a dominant post and furthermore a post who has not shown much improvement after two years in that system. I mean, let’s face it, the area where Boston is truly unmatched is in the fawning adulation she gets from the media. I just don’t understand what she thinks is going to happen there? It seems like Texas, NC State, Louisville would all be a better opportunity for her to step in and be “the man” than where she chose. I am very happy with our roster and feel that we (UConn) will be the team to beat next year. So good luck to Cardosa! I wish her well. Bring on 2021-2022 and let’s see who is still standing after the last game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ther are two things that are puzzling to me about this decision. The first is the assumption by some that she chose SC over UConn. Is there any indication of this? All I’ve seen is a post claiming she wanted to go to either UConn or Auburn. I have seen nothing that indicates UConn went after her. It seems far more likely that her interest in UConn was not reciprocated for some reason and she latched onto the next likely contender. I think that Geno et al probably felt the overall downside was greater than the possible upside. The other puzzler is that she would go to a place where there is already a dominant post and furthermore a post who has not shown much improvement after two years in that system. I mean, let’s face it, the area where Boston is truly unmatched is in the fawning adulation she gets from the media. I just don’t understand what she thinks is going to happen there? It seems like Texas, NC State, Louisville would all be a better opportunity for her to step in and be “the man” than where she chose. I am very happy with our roster and feel that we (UConn) will be the team to beat next year. So good luck to Cardosa! I wish her well. Bring on 2021-2022 and let’s see who is still standing after the last game.
And that original tweet was not by Cardoso or Raoul but some tweeter that cannot be believed. Much like the smokers in Austin that reported earlier today that she was headed to Texas.

Reaction Score
Understand that this is just your opinion but your opinion (however unintentionally) disparages a young lady. Cardoso chose to go to South Carolina. UCONN is not for everyone.
Failing to understand how players not wanting another player has to be disparagement? Maybe they just feel that another player is going to take minutes away from those already here? How is that disparaging?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cardosa would be a good acquisition for any school, but IMO, Dawn has the biggest challenge of any coach to integrate Cardoso with Boston & Amihere. I don’t believe SC can play all 3 Bigs at the same time the way UConn could play Steph, Stewie & Kiah. Steph was extremely effective from the high post and Stewie was effective from everywhere.

Cardoso, Boston and Amihere are all basically low post players. Certainly, SC now has more depth in the post than any team in the nation, but Dawn is not going to play more than 2 of her posts at any one time.

Someone will be the odd-woman out. That most likely will be Amihere, who’s development over the course of this season impressed me quite a bit.

At the end of the day, you can only play 5 players at a time. In an era when teams are spreading the floor and shooting 3’s, I’m not quite sure how Dawn’s rotation of her big 3 will shake out, let alone finding PT for Sexton & the incoming frosh.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think with Boston and Cardosa potentially so dominating on the boards, good shot selection and passing will be secondary considerations. Yes, there will be some nice high low action but I predict alot of the time, it will just be easier to Hoist it up or drive recklessly, get the rebounds, get the other team in foul trouble and voila.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm one of those--I feel the same way about SC. With only 5 spots on the court, both teams are going to have several very talented players riding the pine for the next year or 2.
I definitely think the minutes will be tight this coming season... but things open up substantially at the forward and guard spots the season after.

In 2022 we lose:
Destanni Henderson - PG
Lele Grissett - W/F
Victaria Saxton - F
Elysa Wesolek - F
Destiny Littleton - G

IMO, Cardoso coming here is moreso to solidify us in 2022. A post rotation of Boston/Cardoso and a forward rotation of Amihere/Feagin is exactly what you need.

We have nobody committed to us for 2022, but I can't see us bringing in more than 3.. 2 is more likely.

Reaction Score
Even with the addition of Cardoso...which is a good one, the difference between Uconn and SC is guard play. CT is better. SC can play two bigs, but ON DEFENSE one of them will have to guard on the parameter. Boston can do it sufficiently for a few possessions, but for even half a game. I can't see that. ON OFFENSE...one has to play outside the paint. Assuming it's Boston, who can hit from the foul line area the question is ...can she do it consistently. I've seen her have good games from outside, but most of the time the other team was conceding that shot to her as opposed to allowing her to dominate the paint.

SC has excellent guards, but IMO they have to do TOO MUCH because of the absence of that player who is a consistent wing scorer. Maybe it's one of their newcomers, but don't expect a miracle no matter how good they were in HS. The area is open, but who is there...Beal...Saxon? Zia Cooke will take a bad shot before even thinking about passing to them. And she can score, but on how many shots? Henderson, the PG shoots at a higher percentage.

SC will go into these extended offensive lulls where it's just not pretty at all. In a nutshell...while Cardosos is a plus, it's the top of their offense that they need to figure out. AND...I wouldn't be surprised if a SC player or two hits the portal before the deadline. They need better outside shooters and their roster is BULGING. Zia shot like 39% from three, but if you take off her best two or three games...that number falls. She's a slasher and midrange threat...take the 3 point weight off of her.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You are missing the point…SC was going to win regardless but adding Cardoso gives them an edge that they did not have…ie many times Boston had foul trouble or how about injuries….the depth inside is another plus….Cardoso on her own could not carry a better than average team but put her at SC is another level….she can play ….she is talented not just a big big with option to get better quickly….
But I wonder if she would stay four years!!! Does not strike me as someone that would….just a thought I have no inside info…
We could debate this many ways but definitely not good for UCONN or to the other 2 or 3 contenders.
My point is not that Cardoso brings benefits which you delineated very well. It is that she doesn't improve SCAR as much as she would have going somewhere else. Remember when you are talking about a potential national champion any improvement is incremental and she does provide an incremental improvement because SCAR was already a leader in the game components she will augment.

On the other hand if we evaluate the areas that Cardoso brings in appraising UConn, UConn was weaker in those areas than SCAR and then Cardoso would have had a bigger impact on the UConn team than she will on SCAR. But the UConn team is structured differently than SCAR. For SCAR it is easily identifiable as to who plays the 5, 4,2/3, and 1 on offense. UConn not so much. They are a more motion oriented, more toward position less offensive style. Cardoso as a pure post, would have meant a significant change in the UConn style as currently constructed. That is why the addition of Dorka will more easily integrate into the UConn mold. She is 6'4" all B1G who averaged 11.7 and 9.0 in a tough conference and averaged 39.4% on 3's during the 2019-2020 year. How would it affect SCAR defensively to bring Boston out to the corner to defend against the 3.

When we had the Boneyard poll on wanting Cardoso, I voted no because i thought she was not a good fit for the UConn style. She runs very good for her size, but is too slow for UConn and in the half court she will tend to clog the middle as Paige, CW, Azzi, use backcuts and midrange game more than most players. I'm happy for Cardoso she will fit in well with Dawn. But I like what Geno is doing.

Reaction Score
What do you mean this is on Geno? Do you have any evidence that she wanted to come here and Geno screwed it up?
Of course he doesn’t! Why don’t we all wait and see what happens. My money’s on UConn! Just because someone announces they want to come to UConn doesn’t mean they can/should come here. Geno has a pretty good record with the recruits he brings in. If he chose not to pursue this player that’s fine with me. Furthermore, if he chose not to offer her it does not have to be a negative thing either. Perhaps he feels his team is set and is unwilling to take a chance on upsetting the apple cart. Either way, UConn fans are set for some serious basketball for the foreseeable future! I can’t wait for November!

Reaction Score
I was saving you. You said that Ono matches up with Cardozo. She couldn't guard Cardozo with help.

I don't agree with this at all. I think I usually agree with many things you say but on this you made me go back and re-look at the game. This isn't what you are implying in regards to "couldn't guard . . ." .

Her 1st basket was one-on-one vs Liv - so yeah that one play - yes. But her next 8 points were the result of two times UCONN halfcourt/ three-quarter court trapped and Cuse got the ball in the middle to her. One basket she scored over Anna. And the other over Edwards.

Her other 4 points were the result of Liv playing her one-on-one in which Liv helped out defensively to defend a penetrating guard - leaving Cardoso to a smaller player. She tipped one in (that was pretty amazing how that happened btw), and another she got fouled. But both times Liv left her to defend the penetrator.

No reason to believe why Liv can't defend her.

Reaction Score
Disaster. No way to sugar-coat this. Cardosa would have provided the 1 element that Geno has been missing the last several years without a Title - a Big that provides consistent defense pressure, a rim protector & can score in multiple ways including posting up. You can't coach 6'7" defensive players of the years who can score - and she has 4 years of eligibility to make it worse.

SC was basically a missed lapup at the buzzer to win the Title last year. Now, you add Cardosa & a Top 2 recruiting class to a very talented & physical team that has Boston.

Yes, UConn gets Azzi & some potential shooters coming in. But again, the team is NOT balanced. Too much finesse, perimeter players & not enough Bigs & defensive presence.

SC has to be the Favorite next year.

I wonder if Dorka had anything to do w/Cordosa's decision?? In any event, the "Portal" rules may have just sunk Geno. I'm afraid it could be more FFs but no Titles for UConn for years to
Let’s just wait and see. I’m still betting on Geno et al to be able to out coach and outscheme Dawn and her staff. I certainly wouldn’t trade rosters with SC even now!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The question has to be asked - Why can't Geno close the deal with talented Bigs who are interested in UConn? Geno lost Boston, Betts, now Cordosa. HUGE implications...
NELSON-ODODA, a player you beat out SC for..

Edwards (who is freaking fantastic and elite)
Deberry
Brady
Patterson (arguably a SF, but still)

Sometimes I question how well some of you know your own team.

This changes nothing for UConn. The Huskies will be more than fine... ya'll literally brought in two of the best #1 prospects in a decade in back to back years. Stop the madness.

Reaction Score
You may favor UCONN but I don't understand why. Olivia is outclassed by both Boston and Cardosa, and Cardosa will get better, fast, under the SC coaching. And she is far too tall for Edwards. Their guards are quick and great shooters.... Azzi has not yet attended a practice. . We have no clue how the incoming class will blend with the current players, or how Geno will use them. If your proclamation is to become true, our new 'Big" ( DeBerry) better be great from moment one. And I mean great. And we didn't see that even with Tina Charles. I think South Carolina has to be the number one team now.

Respectfully disagree. Last year we did not see “great shooting” from the South Carolina guards.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
You are forgetting how Baylor dominated with Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox….it is easier in Women’s basketball to use the twin towers concept….in the men not do this day….the reality with last years team intact the blue chip players coming in and Cardoso….on paper is impressive.
? Read my reply again, particularly where I refer to exceptions with mobile and versatile posts. Having two twin towers that are paint dominant have problems with teams that can execute well. The likes of Cox and Stewart are versatile, mobile, can create space on offense and survive on the perimeter if caught on screens and switches on defense. Boston might be able to do that, might not. Let’s see how often Staley uses both together.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. I think I usually agree with many things you say but on this you made me go back and re-look at the game. This isn't what you are implying in regards to "couldn't guard . . ." .

Her 1st basket was one-on-one vs Liv - so yeah that one play - yes. But her next 8 points were the result of two times UCONN halfcourt/ three-quarter court trapped and Cuse got the ball in the middle to her. One basket she scored over Anna. And the other over Edwards.

Her other 4 points were the result of Liv playing her one-on-one in which Liv helped out defensively to defend a penetrating guard - leaving Cardoso to a smaller player. She tipped one in (that was pretty amazing how that happened btw), and another she got fouled. But both times Liv left her to defend the penetrator.

No reason to believe why Liv can't defend her.
Thank you!

Reaction Score
Rivers isn't the shooter Raven is. Not close. Also unlike Henni, Raven doesn't need to penetrate or dribble to make the good pass. Raven's the real deal.
At this point I am starting to wonder if you have ever seen Rivers play at all. You can certainly play up Raven without taking jabs at Rivers.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Honestly? Not really worried about it. These girls are tight with each other. It's more about "team" than it is "individual."
Honestly? Yes! I didn't post about the players themselves, I posted about the SC fans and their opinions about the playing time and/or who might leave.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that he was amused at how the posters who wanted Cardoso had changed their tune when she went somewhere else. I am equally amused by all the people who have been breathlessly extolling Boston as the most dominant and “generationally” talented post in recent memory who are now intimating that she has now become merely a placeholder for Cardosa who has suddenly become the real “generational talent”. Yawn, call me when those two actually accomplish a fraction of what real “generational” players (Stewie, Diana, Maya, Chamique, and Cheryl) have accomplished. I’d be interested to know how Boston feels about all this.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I have a question...this thread is already 11+ pages and probably still growing but why is not on the General sub forum?
I admit that I have posted a few times in this thread but still wonder why it is where it is.

Oh, it’s really a rhetorical question.

Reaction Score
Just so glad she didn't come to Uconn! Much prefer playing against her every year to having her on the squad. :eek: :confused: It will definitely be good practice for all of our bigs to go against twin towers, get them really ready for their WNBA careers! :eek::confused::cool:?
Who plays twin towers anymore lol. She came to South Carolina to develop her game on all 3 levels defense and offense.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that he was amused at how the posters who wanted Cardoso had changed their tune when she went somewhere else. I am equally amused by all the people who have been breathlessly extolling Boston as the most dominant and “generationally” talented post in recent memory who are now intimating that she has now become merely a placeholder for Cardosa who has suddenly become the real “generational talent”. Yawn, call me when those two actually accomplish a fraction of what real “generational” players (Stewie, Diana, Maya, Chamique, and Cheryl) have accomplished. I’d be interested to know how Boston feels about all this.
Boston celebrated the move publicly via Twitter.

We have a team of young women (and their parents) that want to win. Dawn has spoken about this team's selflessness in particular. They are aware that Cardoso will help them win. They just want to win.

If there are players that can't buy into that then they are welcome to transfer. Dawn isn't changing. her culture is in place at SC, and the selflessness of the team embodies the culture that she toiled for years to create.

W

wolfe613

The matchup against UConn hardly changes with this addition. South Carolina needs to improve the play from their 1-3 positions to beat UConn. Their 3 player needs to be able to shoot the 3, at the least. Cooke and Henderson need to play in control and feed Boston/Cardoso. They also need to work on their decision making. I also believe they could use a stretch 4, which Boston will play if her and Cardoso are in together. UConn bottled up Cardoso and Boston, and I think they can continue with that style of defense. South Carolina's recruiting may have answers to many of the problems I just said, but I'm not convinced this sways the match up all that much.
yea they got a guard her name is Raven Johnson #2 recruit and SC also has the 3 and 4 and 14 recruits, again they're loaded they have no flaws, it's just a matter if they can execute

Reaction Score
The question has to be asked - Why can't Geno close the deal with talented Bigs who are interested in UConn? Geno lost Boston, Betts, now Cordosa. HUGE implications...
Once again very slowly. Do you know for certain Geno even wanted her? Please share your information on that with the rest of us. Also, do you have any personal knowledge on whether she (Cardosa) is/was a great teammate, hard worker, a good fit with the UConn team, is willing to fit into the “whatever’s best for the team” concept that Geno and Chris look for? She may well be all of those things. I don’t know and doubt whether you do either. Last I looked Geno has signed Liv #5, AE (certainly top 10), Amari #15 per that notably pro UConn ESPN service (much higher in all others), Ice #5, and Ayanna #3 as well as two guards that, along with Sabrina are widely thought to be the best guards that have come out in years! I think we’re OK!

Reaction Score
Another example in this vein would be the 6’4” Stewart and 6’5” Dolson. But the exceptions include at least one versatile post that does not need to spend a majority of the time in the lane - like Cox or Stewart. Boston may have the skills to function that way, but to date I am not sure about the stamina.

On the defensive side twin towers, unless at least one has guard like mobility, will have problems against well run offenses.
Last I saw, Boston was shooting 27% from three. Not exactly the stuff of legends! If we lose next year because of Boston’s three point shooting, I’ll be very surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom