Can we talk about Tristen Newton for a second? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can we talk about Tristen Newton for a second?

Reaction Score
From the time I saw him at ECU, against UConn, I believed he would be making a name for himself at the national level. Never thought it would be with UConn.
That's why I was pumped up when UConn got him because I remember the game in Feb 2020 when he was at East Carolina and he scored 25 against UConn.

Reaction Score
There was some ridiculous and I mean ridiculous talking head consensus that Tristen wasn’t a “true” point guard.

Think about how stupid that is as we sit here today.

I think he’s the best player in the country.

Reaction Score
I like the Austin Reaves comp that was mentioned on here a few months ago. Didn't think Tristen had an NBA future prior to this season but I can definitely see it now, especially with teams now prioritizing 2nd round picks with the new CBA. Age will hold him back from going higher but at the same time you could probably expect him to be ready to contribute and be a role player sooner.
Austin Reaves is more athletic but doesn't play as good D as Tristen.

Reaction Score
Newton was a good player at ECU. That didn’t translate to UConn at first, but he found his way and by the post season last year, he was very good. This season, he’s actually great. He’s underrated nationally. He has developed skills that are elite for the college level, particularly his outlet passing and shooting. He’s a very smart player with tremendous patience.

I am incredibly happy for him. He deserves the attention. His decision to return for this season is really paying off. He’s got a legit shot at being considered a top 10 player in the country by season’s end.

Reaction Score
This thread is certainly deserved but also a little odd...you're all gushing about the reigning MVP of the NC game like he was some underappreciated scrub

Reaction Score
Tristen had demonstrated at ECU he was a great scorer. Not sure about his rebounding ability at ECU but we observed that right from the beginning at UConn last season. His significant improvement since coming to UConn is his ability to know when to score and when to distribute. It was my impression that in the first half of the season he was unsure how to combine those two things and it impacted his scoring. Andre was often the primary playmaker as a result. That was the major reason Tristen got the reputation of not being a point guard.

That changed the final third to one half of last season. He is a complete guard now. Bilas"s assessment he's the best point guard in mens basketball is probably accurate. Kudos to the coaching staff for helping him. Kudos to Tristen for taking that instruction and making it work.
Newton averaged about 4.5 rbg until this season where his present average is 7.6. He is playing at an elevated level and has a lot of confidence on the floor.

Reaction Score
I said during the offseason that him coming back was probably the most important personnel decision for UConn's season. We can forget the "probably" now. I know everyone says he's not athletic enough, he's not a real point guard, etc. etc., but he's looked really good the last 2 games against very good competition. Those were some NBA moves last night and Friday night. He's the engine that makes this team go. I think he gets a crack at the NBA.

Nine games into Connecticut's season, it's clear who the big name and most important player on this roster is: senior point guard Tristen Newton. As I wrote recently, after a different drubbing at MSG, there's a lot to be inspired by with UConn and its national championship potential. The 6-foot-5 Newton is The Guy. If this team plays its way to a Big East title or another Final Four, Newton will be the core of the effort.

"He is what makes them go and he sets up all those other guys, so that's been huge," one assistant who faced UConn told me.

He had me convinced last March and April. He found himself and was sensational. That title game performance was great. He singlehandedly put SDSU away. Killed them down the stretch.

Reaction Score
He was considered the 50th best player in college bball prior to the season by a major publication... certainly not off the radar

CBS top 100 players for 2023
That’s pretty well off the radar for a guy playing as well as anyone. You’re also sighting one source. Most people have no idea who Newton is. Bilas was amazed that Newton could play against KU.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
No. He was good from the get-go, people just refused to believe it. He's an all-time UConn great.
He absolutely was good but he has improved. Credit to him for the hard work he's put in, and to the coaches and teammates.

Reaction Score
This thread is certainly deserved but also a little odd...you're all gushing about the reigning MVP of the NC game like he was some underappreciated scrub
I'm pretty certain that Adama Sanogo was the MOP at the Final Four. We know what Newton did but I'm not sure most college basketball fans could you tell you who the best player was in the championship game.

Plus, remember his own conference didn't even recognize him before the season started. Wasn't even honorable mention. Karaban was ahead of him.

BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year
Tyler Kolek, Marquette, G, Sr., 6-3, 190, Cumberland, R.I.

Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team
Trey Alexander, Creighton, G, Jr., 6-4, 190, Oklahoma City, Okla.
*Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton, C, Sr., 7-1, 270, St. Louis, Mo.
Bryce Hopkins, Providence, F-G, Jr., 6-7, 220, Oak Park, Ill.
Joel Soriano, St. John’s, C, Sr., 6-11, 255, Yonkers, N.Y.
Justin Moore, Villanova, G, Gr., 6-4, 210, Fort Washington, Md.

Preseason All-BIG EAST Second Team
Donovan Clingan, Connecticut, C, So., 7-2, 280, Bristol, Conn.
Baylor Scheierman, Creighton, G, Sr., 6-7, 205, Aurora, Neb.
Oso Ighodaro, Marquette, F, Sr., 6-11, 225, Chandler, Ariz.
Kam Jones, Marquette, G, Jr., 6-5, 200, Memphis, Tenn.
Eric Dixon, Villanova, F, R-Sr., 6-8, 255, Willow Grove, Pa.

Preseason All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Alex Karaban, Connecticut, F, R-So., 6-8, 220, Southborough, Mass.
Devin Carter, Providence, G, Jr., 6-3, 195, Miami, Fla.
Zach Freemantle, Xavier, F, Gr., 6-9, 227, Teaneck, N.J.
*unanimous selection

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
During the broadcast against Kansas, Jay Bilas said he was one of the best players in the country. Those kind of comments are not spontaneous. He's in the conversation now.

All I know is I don't even want to think about what last Friday night would have looked like without him.

Reaction Score
I was a little down on him to start. He hit an all time low in the game at Georgetown. He was like 0/3 and just non-existent. After that game something clicked. He obviously has been huge for UConn.

Glad he’s a husky

Reaction Score
Hey, just remember that lots of posters on this board, huge UConn fans, don't even spell his first name correctly. How's that for under appreciated? :)
(I'm still not giving up on this. I may die trying.)

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I said during the offseason that him coming back was probably the most important personnel decision for UConn's season. We can forget the "probably" now. I know everyone says he's not athletic enough, he's not a real point guard, etc. etc., but he's looked really good the last 2 games against very good competition. Those were some NBA moves last night and Friday night. He's the engine that makes this team go. I think he gets a crack at the NBA.

Nine games into Connecticut's season, it's clear who the big name and most important player on this roster is: senior point guard Tristen Newton. As I wrote recently, after a different drubbing at MSG, there's a lot to be inspired by with UConn and its national championship potential. The 6-foot-5 Newton is The Guy. If this team plays its way to a Big East title or another Final Four, Newton will be the core of the effort.

"He is what makes them go and he sets up all those other guys, so that's been huge," one assistant who faced UConn told me.

Can you back up where you said he was "the most important personnel decision" for their season? It's only because, back then you were also bragging about Mac Jones so, you know....it might help to have the backup on this one.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Last year whenever Tristen was pressured while dribbling, I feared he would turn it over, and he often did. This year, I no longer worry about anything he does. I’m constantly yelling at my tv for him to shoot the ball. The guy is amazing. So glad he’s a Husky. We would not have championship aspirations this year, without Tristen on this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom