Calm, cool and collected...... | The Boneyard

Calm, cool and collected......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frustrating game. My take aways:

Rutgers:
May be the best team we face all season. You can win a lot of games with a good defense, a hard nosed RB and a good OL. They have no major weakness other than maybe being penalty prone. They are looking at something like a 10 win season.

UCONN Defense:
Stellar, especially given the two DEs we lost this season. They are constantly put in tough situations by an innept offense. I have seen zero quit from Brown's unit. It is a shame that they do not have even an averge offense with which to work.

UCONN Offense:
The problems are very significant and they go well beyond QB play....well beyond. In fact, I think CW has the chance to be a good QB at this level. Where to start? We are half way through the season and this unit is not better off than they were early in the season or last season for that matter in making adjustments for pressure or stacked defenses. We run a small back behind a not very physical line against stacked defenses, we continue to fail in picking up blitzes, there is zero ability to recognize this at the line of scrimmage and zero ability to make adjustments before or during games. We have a OL and a running game that is the antithesis of what it was just two seasons ago - physical and powerful. I have serious doubts that any college team can run two offenses effectively. There is not enough time to practice nor is there enough experience among these young men.

UCONN Coaches:
P is here though at least next season. UCONN is not eating three years of his contract. If P keeps GDL on next season they both will be done after next season. There is little doubt in my mind that GDL is well past his prime and he clearly does not connect with players at this level. Everything points to OC that views himself as a technician, not a coach.

That all said, I saw several things that greatly concerned me yesterday. First, McCombs should have stayed in Storrs this weekend or played the whole game. The punishment was total BS. Second, P appeared to get into it with a highly frustrated Bennett and Whitmer at various times on the sidelines yesterday. He might be losing this team. If he does and this turns into a fiasco the rest of the season then all bets are off and Manuel may have to pull the trigger.

Rest of the season:
I see anywhere from 4-2 to 2-4 the rest of the way as long as Brown keeps the D motivated and focused. We'll be dogs (including Temple next week) until we win again. A bowl is not out of the picture. The defense is that good.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Wait, Oh my God, Pasqualoni was given a five year deal? duckck me. I thought it was four. At any rate, he's got to go after this season.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was a 5 year deal, but I certainly could be wrong.

There is not a single game on the schedule that we can't win, we could also lose them all. I see 4-2 as unlikely, but not impossible. Like I said, we'll be dogs the rest of the way until we win another game - including next with with Temple at home btw.

pj

Reaction Score
I see 3-3 as the best possible, and we have to go 3-1 in the next four to achieve it. I doubt it happens, I think we go 2-2, then lose to Louisville and Cincy for 5-7.

great summary of the situation uconndogs. GDL has failed to develop the offense. I'm not even referring to the fact that the offense is bad; the coach has failed to set the team on a path toward goodness, which if they practice with passion and execute well will make them good in time. I could live with a bad offense if it was progressing. I can't live with failure to progress. That's on the coach.

Reaction Score
At any price, Paul Pasqualoni must go. If not now, then after the last game. Give the new coach a fair shot at recruiting even as soon as 2013.

Reaction Score
TDH, this thread is about reality and realistic assessment. Not sure you belong here........

Reaction Score
At any price, Paul Pasqualoni must go. If not now, then after the last game. Give the new coach a fair shot at recruiting even as soon as 2013.

If that's what you want then you better hope we don't go to a bowl.

Reaction Score
If that's what you want then you better hope we don't go to a bowl.

Wow! And have to give up on this stellar season? Point of emphasis a- the longer PP is here the more this program wrecks itself and totally regressed to pre 2003.

Reaction Score
Oh, and you see 4-2 as a possibility?

***not sure if serious***

I definitely can see 4-2 as a possibility. The defense will keep us in every single game, has all year. They gave up 13 to Rutgers, and 6 of those were because of horrific turnovers on special teams and O.

Lost amid the fire PP chants was that DeLeone called a good game v. Rutgers. TL and Griffin missed on 2 huge gainers, one of which might have been a td. On the 3rd and goal, GDL called a great play with McCummings, who proceeded to throw a R.A. Dickey/Phil Neikro knuckle curve out of bounds. And on a perfectly called screen, Whitmer underthrew McCombs (which begs the question, how do you underthrow a screen pass. But I digress), there was not one Rutgers defender within 10 yards of McCombs.

Look at Rutgers. They relied on their running game and short passes. But they executed. We did not. They won.

Reaction Score
I just don't think this offense is talented enough. We saw it in the spring game...the O lines were terrible and I hoped they could make up one good line out of two bad ones. They couldn't.

We are ok at pass blocking but cannot block the run and we don't have the same caliber of RB we have had in the past. I don't love the play calling at times but I really think this is a talent issue more than it is a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
TDH, this thread is about reality and realistic assessment. Not sure you belong here........

Then don't get rid of him and let him destroy the program because that's the reality your talking about. Then in a couple years you'll be wanting him gone at any length and you'll be years behind TDH because I never liked this hire to begin with - and it's looking more and more like I'm right about it being a poor choice. Reality isn't always rah, rah.

Reaction Score
I just don't think this offense is talented enough. We saw it in the spring game...the O lines were terrible and I hoped they could make up one good line out of two bad ones. They couldn't.

We are ok at pass blocking but cannot block the run and we don't have the same caliber of RB we have had in the past. I don't love the play calling at times but I really think this is a talent issue more than it is a coaching issue.

Play calling has been extremely inconsistent. Especially v. Buffalo and running the same exact run play. But it has become evident that there is a talent issue on offense, bigger than I expected. We have receivers who struggle to get separation, running backs that are severely lacking in areas, whether it be speed, vision, cutback ability, and an O Line that is the worst that has been here. I expect some of these issues to get better with experience, and some issues are what they are.

Reaction Score
[quote="
First, McCombs should have stayed in Storrs this weekend or played the whole game. The punishment was total BS. Second, P appeared to get into it with a highly frustrated Bennett and Whitmer at various times on the sidelines yesterday.[/quote]

I was wondering if anyone was going to post this, I was sitting about the 40 yard line yesterday with a clear shot to the UConn huddle and saw this right after Jimmy committed that false start. It was odd because it looked like Paul and Jimmy were getting into a verbal shouting match and Reuben Frank had to literally hold Paul back.....and then it looked like he was giving a passionate speech because the players were responding well to it getting them pumped up.....they didn't get the 1st down but the whole situation was a little weird

I just mention it because criticize Paul because he just stands on the sideline and shakes his head instead of getting into players faces.....well if Frank didn't hold him back yesterday then he would have ripped Bennett's head off.....or died trying

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was a 5 year deal, but I certainly could be wrong.
No, you are correct.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-01...tract_1_summer-camps-clinics-coach-pasqualoni

Overpaid. Immensely. Buyout details:

BUYOUT: If the coach accepts a position as a head coach of football at an NCAA institution, or as a head coach in any professional football league, the following should be due to the University from the coach:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,200,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $500,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $400,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $250,000

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the university's obligation to the coach:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,250,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $750,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $600,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $400,000

We can fire him after January 1st and pay a $750K buyout.

Reaction Score
January 1st will be too late. Pay the extra 250 to get to get rid of him Dec 2nd, so all candidates can be considered. Jobs start filling up quickly...

Reaction Score
Then don't get rid of him and let him destroy the program because that's the reality your talking about. Then in a couple years you'll be wanting him gone at any length and you'll be years behind TDH because I never liked this hire to begin with - and it's looking more and more like I'm right about it being a poor choice. Reality isn't always rah, rah.

Serious question. Are you so upset that you can not post a coherent thought?

Also, pretty sure you posted similar stuff when Edsall was here.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Are you so upset that you can not post a coherent thought?

Also, pretty sure you posted similar stuff when Edsall was here.

Simple really. Recruit well, coach wll, game plan well, know how to coach on game day from sidelines, then recruit well and recruit well some more. Edsall really didn't. PP showing no signs. So ...... next!

Reaction Score
[quote="
First, McCombs should have stayed in Storrs this weekend or played the whole game. The punishment was total BS. Second, P appeared to get into it with a highly frustrated Bennett and Whitmer at various times on the sidelines yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone was going to post this, I was sitting about the 40 yard line yesterday with a clear shot to the UConn huddle and saw this right after Jimmy committed that false start. It was odd because it looked like Paul and Jimmy were getting into a verbal shouting match and Reuben Frank had to literally hold Paul back.....and then it looked like he was giving a passionate speech because the players were responding well to it getting them pumped up.....they didn't get the 1st down but the whole situation was a little weird

I just mention it because criticize Paul because he just stands on the sideline and shakes his head instead of getting into players faces.....well if Frank didn't hold him back yesterday then he would have ripped Bennett's head off.....or died trying[/quote]

They zoomed in on the exchange between P and Bennett on the rewind and had a few comments. it was played twice, so definately noticed

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Here's my thoughts on the O-Line. I feel that right now, after game 6 of the season, they have been set up to fail and made to see their failures because of it. After game three, the coaches should have seen that running the ball up the middle or take deeper drop back passes wasn't going to work with this line. Immediately they should have gone to work on 3 step drops, short slants, shotgun formations, etc. Why continue to play this pro-style offense after 6 games when it's not working? If I'm an O-Lineman I'm feeling like crap and going into each game knowing I'm going to try my best but can't get the job done on the plays being called. It's absolutely mind-boggling. This isn't the NFL. This is College football where teams open it up and spread out the offense. How many of the Top 25 teams run a NFL style type of offense? I just can't understand the logic behind continuing to run the same plays when they aren't working. I'm sure there are quick slant plays in the playbook. Simplify and call those more often. Why this hard headed thought process of "We're going to get that first down, up the middle run, to work some time!"

It's freaking awful and I feel horrible for the O-Line. They aren't physical enough and it is what it is. So now it's up to the coaches to make the adjustments and help them out.

Reactions: pj

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No, you are correct.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-01...tract_1_summer-camps-clinics-coach-pasqualoni

Overpaid. Immensely. Buyout details:

BUYOUT: If the coach accepts a position as a head coach of football at an NCAA institution, or as a head coach in any professional football league, the following should be due to the University from the coach:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,200,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $500,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $400,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $250,000

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the university's obligation to the coach:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,250,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $750,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $600,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $400,000

We can fire him after January 1st and pay a $750K buyout.
Burton would pay the 750k I bet. I don't understand where some on this board derive the belief that Warde will do anything at all.

Reaction Score
January 1st will be too late. Pay the extra 250 to get to get rid of him Dec 2nd, so all candidates can be considered. Jobs start filling up quickly...
"Head coach in waiting".

Reaction Score
Burton would pay the 750k I bet. I don't understand where some on this board derive the belief that Warde will do anything at all.
Warde will likely do something. He's a football man.

(I misread.)

Reaction Score
[quote="
First, McCombs should have stayed in Storrs this weekend or played the whole game. The punishment was total BS. Second, P appeared to get into it with a highly frustrated Bennett and Whitmer at various times on the sidelines yesterday.

I just mention it because criticize Paul because he just stands on the sideline and shakes his head instead of getting into players faces.....well if Frank didn't hold him back yesterday then he would have ripped Bennett's head off.....or died trying[/quote]
I notice him getting on the players too and it's always offensive line related. Rutgers was the better team yesterday. We needed to play perfectly and we didn't. The only true coaching issue is Deleone but I'm not sure if any coaxh would have made a difference yesterday. We lack talent on the offensive line and efficiency on offense. As for the play along Florida ran twenty times vs lsu in a row yesterday. They got gains almost every time. Our team needs to figure out a way to poun that rock and maybe the offense won't seem so dreary .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom