Butler prediction - drumrolls (multiple - one for each bold predictor) | The Boneyard

Butler prediction - drumrolls (multiple - one for each bold predictor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My humiliating miss on Hammond remains fresh on my mind despite the years that have passed; I was so sure we were the best place for her. Undaunted, but without great confidence, here I go again. The questions are:

Where will Butler go....and why. As the thread bearer, I'll stick my neck out first. I say UCONN.

Why? She seems SO highly motivated, competitive, VERY hard working, and is from a "sports family." I would think she would want to come here and burnish her skills, practicing with and against some of the best Bigs in the country, EVERY day in practice. Stewart, Stokes, Tuck, on a daily basis. And I would think she would want to be a WINNER.

The family seems very close knit. Dad is an Annapolis man (my favorites - I wear their gear). Kids grow up and leave the nest - this happens most often when it comes time to go off to college. I can't see this dad wanting his daughter to cling to apron strings. And, if they spent enough time in Storrs, the family saw the family atmosphere that exists for "Our Girls" here. Then, throw in SNY etc for additional "keeping in touch."

Would really like to see this kid here; and I'm willing to be humiliated again to that end.

Reaction Score
It may not be where she wants to go. Geno has to think she is a UConn type player an as far as I know, he has not said one word about accepting her as a transfer.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The best way to avoid humiliation is to refrain from predicting. When my own kids were picking colleges, I had no clue which of their last 2 they favored, the choices all being pretty good. Figuring out what motivates someone else's kid is way beyond me. But I'd like to see your prediction come true because I'd hate to se a BYer humiliated, not to mention she seems to be our type of player.

BTW, one of my kids turned down UVA. Unfortunately for my wallet, he also turned down UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to think that she'd want to go anywhere else. Stephanie's development is a good analogy for what could be possible for her. She's not Steph but Stephanie is a great example of what hard work and great coaching can do for a player's development.

Reaction Score
It may not be where she wants to go. Geno has to think she is a UConn type player an as far as I know, he has not said one word about accepting her as a transfer.
I think that is against NCAA rules...

Reaction Score
UCONN! How is it possible to turn down a chance for one or more National Championships? That will not happen if she chooses Virginia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've gone from UConn having a 45% chance to a 55% chance.

I'm SURE she is Geno's type of kid. I don't need to talk to Coach to know that.

We may see in a couple of days. Natalie has 2 good options, with different emphases. If the WNBA is important to her, UConn is the obvious choice.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if UConn has even made her an offer?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Although Virginia is closer to home,I think she will chose Connecticut.
There are several reasons why I think she will make this decision:
1.I am sure she has heard of the coaching staff,and what they can do as far as teaching, and molding you into the best you can be.
2.The recent national championship,along with the other championships already completed,gives her the fact that Connecticut is an excellent choice to compete for future championships.
3.On her visit,she got to see the closeness of the team,the support of the coaches,and the fun she would have with her team mates.
4.She has the correct attitude to be a member of Connecticut basketball.
5.Connecticut is an excellent university for education,and it is, and will,grow into a better university,as plans are, and will be in place.

It would be pretty hard to not see the advantage of coming to Connecticut.
Nothing against the other fine universities,but coming to visit Connecticut, says a lot to me.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if UConn has even made her an offer?
She's considering two schools. She has an offer from Uconn; otherwise there's nothing to decide.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It's hard to think that she'd want to go anywhere else. Stephanie's development is a good analogy for what could be possible for her. She's not Steph but Stephanie is a great example of what hard work and great coaching can do for a player's development.

Stef... Stefanie

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Young college students sometimes select a University on criteria not always immediately visible to outside adults. Moreover, UVA is a fine University…try and get accepted there if you are out-of-state. Whatever her choice, it inherently means a different path in life…that’s the beauty and responsibility of it.

Indeed...some Boneyarders may want her here for their own benefit(s), not necessarily hers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Someone on Sabre is complaining that her coach is anti-education, anti-family, and anti-Commonwealth of Virginia. Give me a freaking break. This is about Natalie. The same poster says she should join an "elite" ACC program. Sorry, but UVa. is not an elite program. If they get Natalie and some other top recruits, they can become one, but they are not close now. My best guesses on number of Final Four appearances for Natalie: 0 at Virginia, 3 at UConn. Number of NCAA tourney appearances: 1-2 at Virginia, 3 at UConn.

As I noted above, she has 2 good options. If maxing out her basketball talent and experience and trying to become a WNBA player take precedence, UConn is the clear choice. If she wants to get a slightly better academic education and stay closer to family, UVa. is the choice.

"Family" includes the UConn team and HuskyNation. Being part of those is unsurpassed.

Reaction Score
As WIN says, I too missed out on Sara Hammond 4 years ago. I thought she was a lock for UCONN.

All 0f us BY'ers are a bit biased. I would love for Nat to come to UCONN. I believe that would basically take care of our post issues for the next 4 years.

I thought Milhusk had a great point about the Nat. Championships. How many Final Fours with UVA, how many with UCONN ?

I know that is not the only issue in the whole process, but it is one that bodes well for us. There are other issues as well. one being that Storrs, CT IS the capital of WCBB ! almost every game televised, the greatest, tightest basketball family from the fans down to the coaches and the players ! Not to mention, the greatest opportunity to sign a WNBA contract.

Biased ? Not much !

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
OK, if you insist, here is my prediction; (drum roll, professor); I predict that regardless of what Natalie decides to do, UConn will win several NCs over the next few years, and that Va. will continue to be a "quality program" that wins a few games now and then that nobody notices. Actually, come to think of it, that is two predictions; no extra charge.

Reaction Score
Drumroll WITH cymbal crash for every bold predictor.
COHEN: well, my humiliation was not abject, though it was public; and thank you for your good wishes that I not experience more of the same. An glad to learn that ONE of your kids is very smart ;)
MIL: am liking your uptick in confidence/boldness.
CAL: funny stuff :) DTB: though you seem to lack MIL's growing boldness, you more than make up for it in your ability to make a safe and wise bet. CARA: that's the stuff. I like you. WEST: I think you need some candy. Think I'll have some myself. Lovin' your enthusiasm. OZ: I gotta own some of that; having a great program here brings me considerable joy; but I do think I was being objective and trying to see things thru the eyes of the Butlers, based on precious little data. El-Z: funny stuff, and thanks for caving in and giving up your savvy prediction. HUSK: glory in your bias, and thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only one to miss on the Hammond decision.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think she is going to UVA.
1. It is closer to her parents
2. She is a guaranteed starter there
3. UVA has a better academic reputation
4. She will be the best player on the team there

Reaction Score
Her high school coach is doing everything short of threatening to commit suicide to convince her to go to UConn. He said that he was disappointed that the UConn staff never watched her at high school. If they had, she might be already a Husky. She and her father are incredibly focused on basketball and, as others have said, there is the amazing Dolson story. Add to that the fan support, TV coverage, probable national championships with a team that is in desperate need of a center, with All-Americans in every other position--- and her inevitable decision will be to choose ---UVA?

What comes to mind is the movie "Gettysburg." General Pickett rode down he ranks of his brigade yelling, "Remember men that you are from, OLD VIRGINIA!!!"

Over the next few years at least, UConn blue will be mowing down its opponents in green, red, orange, et al, as mercilessly as were the brave men in grey long ago. To mimic a sports commentator, "BLUE, BABY!"

Reaction Score
Actually, Pickett had a division. But as a West Virginian that spent a substantial amount of time living in Virginia, even a corps won't prevent UConn from sweeping the field.

Reaction Score
Actually, Pickett had a division. But as a West Virginian that spent a substantial amount of time living in Virginia, even a corps won't prevent UConn from sweeping the field.
You're right. There were three brigades in his division. I think all three brigade commanders were KIA.

Reaction Score
Y'ALL: Hey , this is really encouraging! Having put the Bruins on tape, decided to tally up the responses thus far to this thread.
Here are the categories I used : CLEAR UCONN..........IMPLIED UCONN...........TANGENTIAL OR HEDGED POSTS.......NO FREAKIN CLUE......IMPLIED VA........CLEAR VA. The results are....... DRUMROLL (with cymbal crash): thus far, we have 4 Clear UCONN.....3 Implied UCONN.....a rousing 10 Tangential/Hedged......No freakin' clue 2......Implied VA 0....Clear VA 1

Pretty overwhelming: most of us respond in a tangential or hedged fashion. A few of us honestly admit to having no clue (and I honor that frank stance). Those of us who directly address the query, either in fearless head-on fashion or in a fashion which at least suggests an opinion on the matter at hand, show UCONN with a 7-1 lead. Are we guilty of our glasses being half full? Are we stupid (after all, the poster who made a clear call for VA was very persuasive)? Or are we onto something "Big"?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom