Butler hires Thad Matta | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler hires Thad Matta

Reaction Score
Saying DH has won in March is true, but not genuine IMO. He’s only won 2 games and has a loosing record in the tournament. Shaka GOT to a final 4. Hurley’s never gotten out of round of 32. Not a sign of a good tourney coach IMO. like it or not Holloway has only been a HC for 4 years has more lifetime NCAA wins than Hurley.
He’ll have his chances to prove himself. Watching the games these last few weeks I didn’t see any coaches act like DH does on the sidelines. That worries me a little. Or maybe I just don’t like his face.

Reaction Score
Watching the games these last few weeks I didn’t see any coaches act like DH does on the sidelines. That worries me a little.
Agree. Seems like his major coaching move is “play harder”. I guess it’s worked for him as a player and coach at the lower levels. Don’t think that’s plausible here since He’s going up against the best college coaches now. He needs to evolve. I was really excited about his hire. Now I’m hoping he Can evolve as a coach.

One troublesome factoid to me was that I think his dad said in an interview he looks to Greenberg and Lavine for advice. Not exactly HOF coaches

Reaction Score
Hurley tier 4 is fair IMO. Holloway should be 5 until he does something in a high-major program.
Yeah after some thought I'd say it should really be Cooley and Hurley in tier 4 and Holloway 5, rather than Hurley moving up

Reaction Score
Cooley is a tier above Hurley. It’s insane the disrespect Cooley gets on here and the “greatness” of Hurley that he has yet to deliver results when it matters
No he's not. Until this year Cooley had the same knock against him that he couldn't win in the NCAA tournament. And Hurley certainly isn't getting as long as Cooley got at PC without winning.

They are literally on the same career path in the Big East right now. No NCAA tournament years 1 and 2, round of 64 exit years 3 and 4. And then Cooley finally won a game year 5

Reaction Score
No he's not. Until this year Cooley had the same knock against him that he couldn't win in the NCAA tournament. And Hurley certainly isn't getting as long as Cooley got at PC without winning.

They are literally on the same career path in the Big East right now. No NCAA tournament years 1 and 2, round of 64 exit years 3 and 4. And then Cooley finally won a game year 5
I will bet you any amount known to man kind Hurley doesn’t win AP COY in year 5.

Cooley is a better coach, better in game coach and does more with less. Cooley would have coached UConn better this year than Hurley and gone farther

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Hurley might not even make it 11 years. I’ll make you a futures bet
Yes. That's my point, thank you for finally coming around to it. If Hurley had Ed Cooley's resume he'd be lucky to have a job after 5 or 6 years. And right now he does have that resume, which is why unless things change he'll be lucky to have a job here in 2024

Reaction Score
Yes. That's my point, thank you for finally coming around to it. If Hurley had Ed Cooley's resume he'd be lucky to have a job after 5 or 6 years. And right now he does have that resume, which is why unless things change he'll be lucky to have a job here in 2024
If you are trying to say UConn and Providence are equals and started from the same point that’s all I need to know about you tilting the playing field

UConn is the Yankees/Red Sox and providence is like the Orioles.

You shouldn’t be cheerleading and throwing your Pom poms in the air because after 5 years they have accomplished the same.

That right there proves Cooley is better. It doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild a program like UConn and have zero NCAA tourney wins. That’s a failure and it’s all due to Hurley, no one else.

Reaction Score
If you are trying to say UConn and Providence are equals and started from the same point that’s all I need to know about you tilting the playing field

You shouldn’t be cheerleading and throwing your Pom poms in the air because after 5 years they have accomplished the same.

That right there proves Cooley is better. It doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild a program like UConn and have zero NCAA tourney wins. That’s a failure and it’s all due to Hurley, no one else.
Alright, I'm done here because I didn't say a single one of those things. Clown.

Reaction Score
Big East is a who's who of coaching, Hurley needs to step his game up.

All of the sudden Hurley feels like just a middle-of-the-pack coach in the B.E. And that's not criticizing Hurley. Just stating how stacked this league has gotten.

Amazing hires this offseason

Reaction Score

Who's cheerleading and throwing pom pom's in the air? He was just making a point they've done very similar things through the first 5 years. Can't wait til UConn makes a nice little tourney run 22/23 season then is setup to win a natty in 23/24, then I'll be throwing my pom poms in the air. DH is the right guy for the job.

Reaction Score
Agree. Seems like his major coaching move is “play harder”. I guess it’s worked for him as a player and coach at the lower levels. Don’t think that’s plausible here since He’s going up against the best college coaches now. He needs to evolve. I was really excited about his hire. Now I’m hoping he Can evolve as a coach.

One troublesome factoid to me was that I think his dad said in an interview he looks to Greenberg and Lavine for advice. Not exactly HOF coaches
My impression FWIW, is that Hurley wants to build and coach a team like Houston which is based on rugged defense and offensive and defensive rebounding, which isn't a bad thing. But I think Sampson is just better at it than Hurley and as many have noted here, Hurley doesn't seem like he is great at coaching offense and that it's not emphasized nearly as much as defense and rebounding. But at the same time I think he is better at coaching offense than his naysayers would admit and some of the blame has to go to the players for the bad offense.

Hurley is still young in terms of being a coach and just like players develop or how we develop at our careers, Hurley can do the same and improve as well. He is by no means at his peak.

Reaction Score
My impression FWIW, is that Hurley wants to build and coach a team like Houston which is based on rugged defense and offensive and defensive rebounding, which isn't a bad thing. But I think Sampson is just better at it than Hurley and as many have noted here, Hurley doesn't seem like he is great at coaching offense and that it's not emphasized nearly as much as defense and rebounding. But at the same time I think he is better at coaching offense than his naysayers would admit and some of the blame has to go to the players for the bad offense.

Hurley is still young in terms of being a coach and just like players develop or how we develop at our careers, Hurley can do the same and improve as well. He is by no means at his peak.
All good points. I agree that blame goes on the players but great coaches adjust their game plan to the players. Avg coaches try to force their players into a system. My .02

Reaction Score
Hurley inherited a team that was ranked #179 in the country in April 2018. He went from that to 98, 52, 21, 22.

Providence was ranked #63 in April 2018, which was the conclusion of Cooley's 7th season.

Hurley rebuilt a program that was in a very bad place in really 2 years -- who knows what happens in March 2020 also with how well that team was playing. Yes, the lack of NCAAT wins the last 2 seasons is a negative, but it seems the Hurley hate is due to your own personal unrealistic expectations. Hurley could have made a S16 this year and I'm sure you'll come out with an excuse due to the fact you're a hater and you'll never be happy with him.

Reaction Score
Hurley inherited a team that was ranked #179 in the country in April 2018. He went from that to 98, 52, 21, 22.

Providence was ranked #63 in April 2018, which was the conclusion of Cooley's 7th season.

Hurley rebuilt a program that was in a very bad place in really 2 years -- who knows what happens in March 2020 also with how well that team was playing. Yes, the lack of NCAAT wins the last 2 seasons is a negative, but it seems the Hurley hate is due to your own personal unrealistic expectations. Hurley could have made a S16 this year and I'm sure you'll come out with an excuse due to the fact you're a hater and you'll never be happy with him.
I think some folks are too hard on DH. But arent you being one sided too? Hurley took over a school with 4 NCs all within 20 years of his hiring. Providence last went to the FF in 1987! Very different starting points

Reaction Score

Hurley’s a good coach and still deserves every benefit of the doubt. But let’s not kid ourselves, some red flags are starting to pop up.
And to compare him with Cooley, though Cooley is clearly the better coach right now, is apples and oranges. PC is not us, and they never will be. DH needs to step it up. It’s fair for our fans to ask these questions when he doesn’t.

Reaction Score
It's shocking how little middle ground we have between "Hurley is the literal spawn of Satan put into a coaches body" and "Hurley is a god-send and I wish I could kiss his feet"

It's pretty fair at this point to say he's a pretty solid coach that has turned around the program through elevated recruiting and player development...with some very concerning weaknesses that might impact his ceiling and tenure at the helm if he doesn't make significant changes to his coaching style.

Reaction Score
I think some folks are too hard on DH. But arent you being one sided too? Hurley took over a school with 4 NCs all within 20 years of his hiring. Providence last went to the FF in 1987! Very different starting points
And Cooley had a 7 year head start on Hurley. Not to mention how Hurley took over a UConn team that was the worst UConn team since pre-Calhoun. The cupboard was bare. I don't care if you had won 4 NCs in 20 years, Hurley inherited a team that was ranked below teams like Central Michigan, William & Mary, UTSA, Troy, Pacific, Portland State, Fort Wayne.

How can you do better than going from #179 to top 20 in 3 years? Granted, Hurley needs to take the next step in March and has obviously failed to do so, but people are just useless wastes of space on this board with their blind hate, ridiculous expectations and overall lack of knowledge of how bad the program was at the end of Ollie.

Reaction Score

Since you despise DH so much, who would you want that could do better?

Reaction Score

19. It was the moment at which all of the progress the UConn basketball program has made in four seasons under Dan Hurley -- progress that has been undeniable -- gave way to another question about when this program will take the next step back toward being a national contender. The 2022 tournament marked the second straight one-and-done showing at the hands of a worse seed -- Maryland beat UConn in a 10 vs. 7 game last season -- and the latest one was pulled off in somewhat methodical fashion by an NMSU team that led by 10 at halftime and never really blinked when UConn chipped away at the lead in the second half. Teddy Allen (37 points) ultimately proved unsolvable for Hurley & Co., who will undoubtedly be laser-focused on an NCAA tournament win in 2023. "It's crushing to see your guys not be able to get the enjoyment of that next game and the buildup," Hurley said. "It sucks."

Reaction Score
All good points. I agree that blame goes on the players but great coaches adjust their game plan to the players. Avg coaches try to force their players into a system. My .02
very true. Hurley does seem to lack the flexibility in adapting game plans, I think he does adapt it, just not enough. But no matter how much adaptation occurs the players still are responsible to a varying degree. A coach can adapt optimally and the players could still mess it up.
for example look at Josh Carlton. It was best for both UConn and Josh to part ways for sure, and I am not saying there was necessarily another way to keep Josh, maybe there was, maybe there wasn't, considering Sanogo was kicking ass. However, Hurley kept asking Josh to do things he wasn't good at. Carlton was a solid defender, he just couldn't play defense the way Hurley wanted him to play defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom