Butler hires Thad Matta | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler hires Thad Matta

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Just waiting for Georgetown to get rid of Ewing, and I'm not sure Anderson is the guy for St. John's.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Until today, I had no idea Thad Matta played for Butler, had two different assistant coach stints and coached one season at Butler.

I also thought Thad Matta was way older than 54.
^ All of this.
There’s a bad Chris Rock or @Dove joke there for the taking.
Nah, that'd be bullying.

Reaction Score
I hope Thad still has the energy and motivation. He seems like an ok dude and a good coach, but I look at his red face and I can't help but think he may have a drinking problem.

Reaction Score
Hurley does have A-10 Championships + NCAA wins at URI. I know it's still not as much as others on the list have had at other schools, but everyone on that list besides Wright, Cooley and McDermott have had their success somewhere else first / in their prior stints with the teams when they were in lesser leagues.

I don't have a problem saying Hurley is not in the top tiers until he wins at UConn in March. But he does have Conference Tourney championships and NCAA wins on his resume.
I was talking about the NCAA tournament. Only Stubblefield and Ewing have less of a tournament resume than Hurley. You may consider the Big 10 and Pac lesser leagues but they are power conferences and Matta and Miller had enormous tournament success at those places and also had tournament success in their other jobs. Shaka made a final 4 out of the Colonial and Holloway made an elite 8 out of the MAAC.

You're judged by how you do in March, Hurley needs to step it up.

Reaction Score
everyone on that list besides Wright, Cooley and McDermott have had their success somewhere else first / in their prior stints with the teams when they were in lesser leagues.
maybe i'm misunderstanding. are you including matta and miller as having success elsewhere? or are the big10 and pac12 not power conferences?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I was talking about the NCAA tournament. Only Stubblefield and Ewing have less of a tournament resume than Hurley. You may consider the Big 10 and Pac lesser leagues but they are power conferences and Matta and Miller had enormous tournament success at those places and also had tournament success in their other jobs. Shaka made a final 4 out of the Colonial and Holloway made an elite 8 out of the MAAC.

I totally agree. I was just pointing out that Hurley has won in March, just not at UConn.

And Matta and Miller are clearly a notch above Hurley.

My point was more that if we are going to not include Hurley's wins in the postseason because they didn't happen at UConn, then the only guys who have won as a head coach of a team that was in the Big East at the time is Wright, McDermott and Cooley.

@bendm that above was also the point I poorly was trying to make (when Matta & Miller were at Butler & Xavier pre NBE)

FWIW, since Shakka's Final 4 he is 2-8 in the NCAAs and has the same number of second round and second weekend appearances as Hurley (2 and 0). Holloway has never even been to another NCAA tournament as HC besides this past one, Hurley has been to 4 of the past 6.

Lot's of apples and oranges. But I think we are all on the same page that it's time for Hurley to win more game in March if he wants to be considered among the leagues top tier coaches.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
All good points.

But then this use of the second person, which was either a weird thing to address toward @McLovin, or the kind of heavy-handed, self-claimed pronouncement that usually signals hubris, ignorance, dissociation, insecurity, affectation, or anointment. Who knows?
As you are fond of saying, Weird.

Reaction Score
All good points.

But then this use of the second person, which was either a weird thing to address toward @McLovin, or the kind of heavy-handed, self-claimed pronouncement that usually signals hubris, ignorance, dissociation, insecurity, affectation, or anointment. Who knows?

As you are fond of saying, Weird.
This is rich coming from the guy who is asking for my number.

He said they all won in lesser leagues except for Wright, McDermott, and Cooley.

Find another hobby or find another leg to hump. I've tried to be nice but your act is tired and creepy. Please stop replying to my posts.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Being honest, if it were guaranteed he would hang around at least 5-7 years, I’d trade Hurley for Thad in a heartbeat.
Sort of agree. Matta is going to do really well at Butler.

Reaction Score
Home run hire for butler. There is one last coach that needs to be replaced in the big east (obviously Ewing). My guess is Rick Pitino next year

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is rich coming from the guy who is asking for my number.

He said they all won in lesser leagues except for Wright, McDermott, and Cooley.

Find another hobby or find another leg to hump. I've tried to be nice but your act is tired and creepy. Please stop replying to my posts.
So you can't take a compliment for your good points, improperly use pronouns, feel free to incorrectly characterize me, claim that you try to be nice, label me in an uncomplinentary fashion, and close with a polite request, all because you dislike my speaking up when you try to universalize your personal opinion. Please moderate yourself.

I have no idea what asking for your number means, but it sounds creepy to me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tier 1: Wright
Tier 2: McDermott, Matta
Tier 3: Smart, Cooley, Miller
Tier 4: Hurley, Holloway
Tier 5: Anderson, Stubblefield
Tier 6: Ewing

A win in the tourney bumps Hurley to tier 3
Miller is in the sewage bilge in the basement

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just waiting for Georgetown to get rid of Ewing, and I'm not sure Anderson is the guy for St. John's.
You'll be waiting a long time for the Georgetown situation - Pat Ewing will be there a while - I'm very OK with that
Anderson is a really good coach and is perfect for St Johns - he brings the style that the NYC people like - he will get some studs - the guy has won over 400 games and brought 3 teams to numerous NCAAS and reached the elite eight and sweet sixteen. He is a much better coach than most people give him credit. In both experience and success he is above DH

Reaction Score
If you want to have Hurley in tier 4 that's fine even if I disagree, but there's no world where Hurley and Holloway are in the same tier

Hurley tier 4 is fair IMO. Holloway should be 5 until he does something in a high-major program.

Reaction Score
Matta is the oldest 54 y/o of all time. He's also a great coach and will make the league better.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. I was just pointing out that Hurley has won in March, just not at UConn.

And Matta and Miller are clearly a notch above Hurley.

My point was more that if we are going to not include Hurley's wins in the postseason because they didn't happen at UConn, then the only guys who have won as a head coach of a team that was in the Big East at the time is Wright, McDermott and Cooley.

@bendm that above was also the point I poorly was trying to make (when Matta & Miller were at Butler & Xavier pre NBE)

FWIW, since Shakka's Final 4 he is 2-8 in the NCAAs and has the same number of second round and second weekend appearances as Hurley (2 and 0). Holloway has never even been to another NCAA tournament as HC besides this past one, Hurley has been to 4 of the past 6.

Lot's of apples and oranges. But I think we are all on the same page that it's time for Hurley to win more game in March if he wants to be considered among the leagues top tier coaches.
Saying DH has won in March is true, but not genuine IMO. He’s only won 2 games and has a loosing record in the tournament. Shaka GOT to a final 4. Hurley’s never gotten out of round of 32. Not a sign of a good tourney coach IMO. like it or not Holloway has only been a HC for 4 years has more lifetime NCAA wins than Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom