"...(but) 3 and 4 get complicated" | The Boneyard

"...(but) 3 and 4 get complicated"

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

ESPN:
"Several athletic directors who spoke Tuesday were adamant about preserving traditional bowls, particularly the Rose Bowl's matchup of the Big Ten and Pac-12 champion."
"Who are the teams?" Hollis said. "Who decides teams? Is there a committee? Are you strictly going by polls?
"It's very easy to determine 1 and 2 (but) 3 and 4 get complicated," he said. "Polls can do a good job with 1 and 2. I'm not so sure they can do a good job with 3 and 4."

It seems like in the disguise of being more fair and inclusive the eliteist powers to be are paving the way to making sure that college football remains an exclusive club. A 4 team play off consisting of 4 worthy conference champions...SEC, Big 10, PAC 10 and .... (Big 12 or ACC) who will be the numero 4 conference that aligns its chess pieces in the right order to be part of the exclusive Big 4? The ACC has FSU, Clemson, Va Tech and Miami. The Big 12 has OU, Texas, and WVU. Who will swipe teams from who ? Will Notre Dame be a power factor by joining either the big 12 or acc ...or will they be a non factor and jump in bed with the Big 10? As the pieces unfold one thing will be for certain ...college football is becoming much more exclusive.

Reaction Score
ESPN:
"Several athletic directors who spoke Tuesday were adamant about preserving traditional bowls, particularly the Rose Bowl's matchup of the Big Ten and Pac-12 champion."
"Who are the teams?" Hollis said. "Who decides teams? Is there a committee? Are you strictly going by polls?
"It's very easy to determine 1 and 2 (but) 3 and 4 get complicated," he said. "Polls can do a good job with 1 and 2. I'm not so sure they can do a good job with 3 and 4."

It seems like in the disguise of being more fair and inclusive the eliteist powers to be are paving the way to making sure that college football remains an exclusive club. A 4 team play off consisting of 4 worthy conference champions...SEC, Big 10, PAC 10 and .... (Big 12 or ACC) who will be the numero 4 conference that aligns its chess pieces in the right order to be part of the exclusive Big 4? The ACC has FSU, Clemson, Va Tech and Miami. The Big 12 has OU, Texas, and WVU. Who will swipe teams from who ? Will Notre Dame be a power factor by joining either the big 12 or acc ...or will they be a non factor and jump in bed with the Big 10? As the pieces unfold one thing will be for certain ...college football is becoming much more exclusive.
And much more irrelevant for many if they go that way.

Reaction Score
A couple of years into a 4 team playoff, the Rose Bowl will be completely irrelevant.

Reaction Score
A couple of years into a 4 team playoff, the Rose Bowl will be completely irrelevant.

The Rose Bowl will never be irrelevant in college football, if you do not look forward to that game, I'd doubt you'd be a true college football fan.

Reaction Score
5 years into a 4 team playoff CFB will move to a 6 team (bye week for top 2 seeds) or 8 team playoff.

Reaction Score
The Rose Bowl will never be irrelevant in college football, if you do not look forward to that game, I'd doubt you'd be a true college football fan.

Please. I watch the rosebowl if its a compelling match up. If one team is an 8-4, Oregon state or Northwestern type, ill only watch if there is nothing else going on.

Reaction Score
5 years into a 4 team playoff CFB will move to a 6 team (bye week for top 2 seeds) or 8 team playoff.
I think that's true, and 8-10 years in they will go to 16...they might actually skip right over 8 and go directly to 16 or 20 like they now do in 1AA.

Reaction Score
Polling is indeed crazy, and schools should have absolutely no hand in it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I love college football. The Rose Bowl means squat. It's an antiquated relic being artificially propped up to try and hang on to past glory.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love college football. The Rose Bowl means squat. It's an antiquated relic being artificially propped up to try and hang on to past glory.

^ This x 1,000!

Reaction Score

You would not say if you've ever been to a Rose Bowl. It's one of the top 5 sporting events in the US to attend.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You would not say if you've ever been to a Rose Bowl. It's one of the top 5 sporting events in the US to attend.

If you like parades, I'm sure it's fantastic. But if you don't care about the two teams in the game, then why would being there change my view? For instance, I had some interest watching Wisconsin versus Oregon, because they were both offensive juggernauts and it was going to be a very good game. But let's say that Ohio State played against Oregon State; unless the game has national implications, I could not care less about it.

Reaction Score
If you like parades, I'm sure it's fantastic. But if you don't care about the two teams in the game, then why would being there change my view? For instance, I had some interest watching Wisconsin versus Oregon, because they were both offensive juggernauts and it was going to be a very good game. But let's say that Ohio State played against Oregon State; unless the game has national implications, I could not care less about it.

It's the Grand Daddy of them all. Of course the matchup will make the game more or less appealing. But saying the Rose Bowl means squat is like saying you love golf but the Masters does zip for you.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's fair, but how many of us here have been? I'm sure that if I went, I would enjoy it, like I would most any other large sporting event. Doesn't really make it relevant or have some sort of special meaning today.

Reaction Score
That's fair, but how many of us here have been? I'm sure that if I went, I would enjoy it, like I would most any other large sporting event. Doesn't really make it relevant or have some sort of special meaning today.

You don't think the Rose Bowl has any relevance or special meaning in the world of college football today? Wow.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's the Grand Daddy of them all.

Oh, I know. Brent Musberger tells me every time I watch a commercial for the darned thing. But the golf analogy is really irrelevant (partially because I don't like golf, and partially because I didn't go to a golf school). One of the reasons that I don't care for it is because it involves teams from the Pac-12, which I just don't care about. Another reason is that it involves teams from the Big10, which I just don't care about. I am infinitely more likely to watch the Orange Bowl, who will likely either have a BigEast team that I can root for or a team playing against an ACC team that I can root for. The Rose Bowl is just another bowl to me. If the Cotton Bowl had a great parade, should I care about it?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You don't think the Rose Bowl has any relevance or special meaning in the world of college football today? Wow.
Sorry. Just don't share that view. It's just another in a myriad of bowl games that may or may not have a decent matchup. The fact that it used to be awesome doesn't really mean anything to me.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Just don't share that view. It's just another in a myriad of bowl games that may or may not have a decent matchup. The fact that it used to be awesome doesn't really mean anything to me.

To each their own I guess. Hey if you and UConnDan97 don't like or care for the Rose Bowl, I can appreciate and respect that.

But it is VERY relevant in the world of college football today.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Along those lines, I liken it to someone telling me that I should watch every Notre Dame game on tv, because they made movies for them and are the most nationally relevant football team (Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!). They aren't my team. I'm not going out there to win one for the Gipper. The only echoes I want to wake up is when Greg Lloyd Jr. knocks their friggin' helmets off (see photo to the left). I'm a UConn guy. I'm a Big East guy. Hell, I'm a Northeastern guy. I'm way more likely to watch Yale vs. Harvard than Michigan State vs. Oregon (unless it's for the championship).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's very relevant to the Pac12 and Big10. But in the face of a 4 team (or x team) playoff... what purpose does it serve to keep forcing that artificial matchup to help decide a national champion? To me, it's more logical for the Rose Bowl to take a spot as one of the national final or semifinal games, regardless of matchup... but I know that flies in the face of tradition.

Reaction Score
Oh, I know. Brent Musberger tells me every time I watch a commercial for the darned thing. But the golf analogy is really irrelevant (partially because I don't like golf, and partially because I didn't go to a golf school). One of the reasons that I don't care for it is because it involves teams from the Pac-12, which I just don't care about. Another reason is that it involves teams from the Big10, which I just don't care about. I am infinitely more likely to watch the Orange Bowl, who will likely either have a BigEast team that I can root for or a team playing against an ACC team that I can root for. The Rose Bowl is just another bowl to me. If the Cotton Bowl had a great parade, should I care about it?

Who said anything about parades? Don't mistake your personal disinterest with irrelevance. If you polled college football fans on the Rose Bowl you and CTMike would be in the VAST minority. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to convince you guys to like the game.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To each their own I guess. Hey if you and UConnDan97 don't like or care for the Rose Bowl, I can appreciate and respect that.

But it is VERY relevant in the world of college football today.

I respect you back, paisano mio! I know a lot of people love the Rose Bowl, but it's just not for me. Give me a Big East Champ versus an ACC Champ any day of the week...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That totally cracked me up (I'm Italian too)... let's settle this over Pepe's... no wait Sally's.... no wait Modern... haha.

I'll get the cannoli and the espresso, you grab the pizza! We'll make the LaRosa Bowl!! ;)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Who said anything about parades? Don't mistake your personal disinterest with irrelevance. If you polled college football fans on the Rose Bowl you and CTMike would be in the VAST minority. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to convince you guys to like the game.
My hunch... is that this would likely be split along age lines. (No offense, Jimmy... I don't think you are THAT old. haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom