Bulletin Board for Final Four | The Boneyard

Bulletin Board for Final Four

Reaction Score
Do any of the 4 remaining teams really need “bulletin board material” to motivate them? Or is the carrot of a title enough since they’re all so close to tasting it?

Reaction Score
Do any of the 4 remaining teams really need “bulletin board material” to motivate them? Or is the carrot of a title enough since they’re all so close to tasting it?
Hurley admitted post game that the Illinois comments were used as more fuel for the fire. Anything to keep the chip on our shoulder is a good thing. Everyone at the final 4 wants to win but if you can find any edge you have to take it.

caw

Reaction Score

If MJ can fabricate something to motivate himself than so can UConn and Hurley. Now can some old player from Bama post something on Twitter saying something slightly not good about UConn please???

Actually, I wonder if Hurley knows Barkley said Roll Tide. That's how much people don't want UConn to win, even Bama's rivals are saying Roll Tide. (I don't actually know the context for that by Barkley but as long as we are looking for motivation).

Reaction Score
If MJ can fabricate something to motivate himself than so can UConn and Hurley. Now can some old player from Bama post something on Twitter saying something slightly not good about UConn please???

Actually, I wonder if Hurley knows Barkley said Roll Tide. That's how much people don't want UConn to win, even Bama's rivals are saying Roll Tide. (I don't actually know the context for that by Barkley but as long as we are looking for motivation).
Whatever helps UConn I’m good with. I don’t understand why people keep poking the bear, but whatever. Hurley’s “bulletproof” comment didn’t help Illinois much. I think talent generally wins unless teams are almost evenly matched. Then health and external factors like this or preparation make the difference. I like UConn’s chances against Alabama, especially with this staff having a week to prepare.

Reaction Score
I think when this blurb was first posted on ESPN it was just summing up Sunday's games, which is why only players on Purdue and NC State were mentioned. They've now just cut and pasted the headline into a broader summary of the Final Four takeaways. Don't think ESPN was intentionally slighting Donovan, particularly after the mammoth game he had on Saturday. Doubt our guys need any bulletin board anyway. But hey, you do you!

Reaction Score

I can't imagine that the average Auburn fan is rooting for Alabama.

Reaction Score
Hurley admitted post game that the Illinois comments were used as more fuel for the fire. Anything to keep the chip on our shoulder is a good thing. Everyone at the final 4 wants to win but if you can find any edge you have to take it.
Agreed. I think it’s more of a benefit to the most talented player or team, though. Part of what made Jordan Jordan was his mental makeup and drive. He used those kinds of things to drive himself and never let off the gas. I think the Illinois thing drove Hurley and the staff to probably put in even more preparation. But the bulletproof comments didn’t prevent Illinois from getting blown out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, they basically ignored or trashed Clingan that whole article. :rolleyes:

Can anyone score at the rim on Donovan Clingan and UConn? Clingan's performance -- especially defensively -- Saturday was otherworldly, one of the most dominant showings we've seen all season. It became evident very quickly that Illinois was going to struggle scoring in the paint. The Illini missed eight of their first 10 layups, with Clingan blocking three shots in the first half and altering several others. Illinois shot just 25% inside the arc. In Clingan's first 17 minutes on the floor, Illinois scored four points. Perhaps the Illini should have opted to shoot more jumpers instead of driving at Clingan so often, but Terrence Shannon Jr. struggled to make shots and Coleman Hawkins couldn't get going from the perimeter. Here's the stat of the night: Illinois went 0-for-19 on field goal attempts contested by Clingan, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn does. We know this for a fact

Reaction Score
Yeah, they basically ignored or trashed Clingan that whole article. :rolleyes:

Can anyone score at the rim on Donovan Clingan and UConn? Clingan's performance -- especially defensively -- Saturday was otherworldly, one of the most dominant showings we've seen all season. It became evident very quickly that Illinois was going to struggle scoring in the paint. The Illini missed eight of their first 10 layups, with Clingan blocking three shots in the first half and altering several others. Illinois shot just 25% inside the arc. In Clingan's first 17 minutes on the floor, Illinois scored four points. Perhaps the Illini should have opted to shoot more jumpers instead of driving at Clingan so often, but Terrence Shannon Jr. struggled to make shots and Coleman Hawkins couldn't get going from the perimeter. Here's the stat of the night: Illinois went 0-for-19 on field goal attempts contested by Clingan, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
I wrote "headline"

Reaction Score
I think when this blurb was first posted on ESPN it was just summing up Sunday's games, which is why only players on Purdue and NC State were mentioned. They've now just cut and pasted the headline into a broader summary of the Final Four takeaways. Don't think ESPN was intentionally slighting Donovan, particularly after the mammoth game he had on Saturday. Doubt our guys need any bulletin board anyway. But hey, you do you!
This was intentional. Trust me.

Reaction Score
The media needs something to hype this week, they get paid to blab. I was listening to a sports show this morning where someone was actually worried that the UConn Bama game would be too boring because we’re too good, game not close enough. Their perspective is different from ours.

Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn does, particularly on a neutral court. But if it’s offered UConn will take it and use it.
If they didn't need it, they wouldn't be trolling twitter for offensive tweets from fans.

Reaction Score
There's a strange phenomenon among some fans, where they will root for any team in their conference over a non con team. I have a few big ten friends, (this may be different for SEC), who are so loyal to the Big Ten that they basically become a fan of every team out of that conference. I've seen Michigan fans rooting for msu, osu fans rooting for purdue and illinois... not just rooting casually but going all in.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think it’s more of a benefit to the most talented player or team, though. Part of what made Jordan Jordan was his mental makeup and drive. He used those kinds of things to drive himself and never let off the gas. I think the Illinois thing drove Hurley and the staff to probably put in even more preparation. But the bulletproof comments didn’t prevent Illinois from getting blown out.
Just put up a poster of Goodman's punchable face wearing an Alabama hat (which he did during the F68 vid the other day).

Reaction Score
If they didn't need it, they wouldn't be trolling twitter for offensive tweets from fans.
Who is trolling Twitter? What’s UConn’s record on neutral courts this year? What’s the average margin of victory been over the past 10 games in the tournament? You still really think they need it? Wow.

Reaction Score
Who is trolling Twitter? What’s UConn’s record on neutral courts this year? What’s the average margin of victory been over the past 10 games in the tournament? You still really think they need it? Wow.
This is all on the record.

Hurley mentioned it during a press conference. He read former Illini player Harrington's tweet to the team.

Then on a podcast yesterday he said he has a member of the staff collecting tweets which Hurley reads out to the team.

Reaction Score
There's a strange phenomenon among some fans, where they will root for any team in their conference over a non con team. I have a few big ten friends, (this may be different for SEC), who are so loyal to the Big Ten that they basically become a fan of every team out of that conference. I've seen Michigan fans rooting for msu, osu fans rooting for purdue and illinois... not just rooting casually but going all in.
I root for Big East teams too, but I've heard that Carolina fans like us because we beat Duke.

Reaction Score

Hurley mentioned it during a press conference. He read former Illini player Harrington's tweet to the team.

Then on a podcast yesterday he said he has a member of the staff collecting tweets which Hurley reads out to the team.
I get that. But I’d your assertion that if UConn wasn’t doing that, instead of winning by 20-21 points average margin of victory, that they’d be losing? They need to do that to win?

Reaction Score

Hurley also would also remind them in the huddles that the Illinois players were running their mouths about UConn duing their 30-0 run to keep them fired up. Every time Underwood would call a time out Hurley would remind them....

Reaction Score
I root for Big East teams too, but I've heard that Carolina fans like us because we beat Duke.
Ha. I root for big east too, but the way they root is different. Almost as if they are rooting for the team they really love. I'll root because it's good for our conference, but I didn't cry when Creighton or Marquette lost.

caw

Reaction Score

Quiet the assistants already told Hurley they all were.

Now in all seriousness, I did take a gander at the Alabama board and their fans are more concerned about winning to paraphrasing: beat the team that Auburn didn't even get a chance to play. To show little brother his place.

Reaction Score
I get that. But I’d your assertion that if UConn wasn’t doing that, instead of winning by 20-21 points average margin of victory, that they’d be losing? They need to do that to win?
That's not what anyone is saying. But that chip on the shoulder attitude is what makes UConn great and keeps all the players motivated. Do they need it to win 2 more games and a championship? Probably not. But I certainly don't want to find out. I think they should keep looking for all the external motivation that got them here, it's what fuels Hurley and he's said as much publicly multiple times

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom