BTN strikes deal w/Time Warner & Cablevision | Page 5 | The Boneyard

BTN strikes deal w/Time Warner & Cablevision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It may be better to just wait for the details to come out before either side claims victory - there's too many unknowns right now to definitively say that Big Ten has accomplished its goal in NYC.

Reaction Score
Yes, the official website of the Big Ten Network who has access to every member of the BTN is wrong and misreading things. Because there is no possible way that they just called their boss to clarify what has actually happened.

And Carl, like I said, I don't care how opposing fans rationalize this. Because it has happened. That's it. You can try to come up with any reason as to why this happened, all that matters is that it has.

So you're saying the BTN site is just a propaganda piece, kind of like ESPN and NFL.com. Yes, agreed. But some of those writers are clueless about the top brass's intentions. The writer then links to a NJ.com site which gores against what she was saying. That's poor anyway you cut it, but OK.

As for RCN you misrepresent it. Signature and Premium are NOT basic: http://www.rcn.com/new-york/digital-cable-tv/services-and-pricing/channel-lineups. I'll grant you that Basic is probably a very small part of the sub base, but if you don't know the Sig./Premium breakdown and sub rate, then what are we talking about exactly? I get BTN where I live too in a package. It's everywhere. The key is for 90% of subscribers to pay at least $1 a month for it. That's what you're looking for. With RCN we're talking about a system that didn't have BTN at all adding it to non-basic packages named Sig. and Premium. If the B1G managed to get the channel on RCN's signature package for $1 a month, then you scored bigtime. Even if that's not basic. But given the inclusion of Premium in the deal, it could be that they will charge .10 a sub per month for Sig. and $1 for premium.

For that matter, we don't even know what BTN signed with TW and Cablevision:

The RCN Big Apple agreement comes on the heels of BTN president Mark Silverman saying the service has scored accords that will widen its penetration on Cablevision and Time Warner Cable systems in the New York DMA. Whereas those MSOs have been offering BTN on their sports tiers, the new pacts will afford the network a wider berth.

All we know is that they are off the sports packages on into more widely available packages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you're saying the BTN site is just a propganda piece, kind of like ESPN and NFL.com. The write then links to a NJ.com site which gores against what she was saying. That's poor anyway you cut it, but OK.

As for RCN you misrepresent it. Signature and Premium are NOT basic: http://www.rcn.com/new-york/digital-cable-tv/services-and-pricing/channel-lineups. I'll grant you that Basic is probably a very small part of the sub base, but if you don't know the Sig./Premium breakdown and sub rate, then what are we talking about exactly? I get BTN where I live too on my package. It's everywhere. The key is for 90% of subscribers to pay at least $1 a month for it. That's what you're looking for. With RCN we're talking about a system that didn't have BTN at all adding it to non-basic packages named sig. and Premium. If the B1G managed to get the channel on RCN's signature package for $1 a month, then you scored bigtime. Even if that's not basic. But given the inclusion of Premium in the deal, it could be that they will charge .10 a sub per month for Sig. and $1 for premium.

For that matter, we don't even know what BTN signed with TW and Cablevision:

All we know is that they are off the sports packages on into more widely available packages.

The last statement re: TW and Cablevision is key. The BTN isn't opened to new territory with those deals as they already carried it. The question is how many more subscribers will get it and at what rate.

RCN is an exception as most carriers already offered it somewhere. I've had the BTN for several years as part of Charter's high end Gold package (that I will probably drop due to cost). I can't see any way they move it down to their basic package here - unless at giveaway rates because it would be a direct margin hit on their already lowest margin offerings. There isn't the demand for it. Hell, I'm a huge sports fan and I've watched a few hockey games and a volleyball game in all that time.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So as a Rutgers fan, does this equal the greatest athletic accomplishment in school history and is that still finishing 3rd in the BE and winning the Texas bowl.

I'll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score
So as a Rutgers fan, does this equal the greatest athletic accomplishment in school history and is that still finishing 3rd in the BE and winning the Texas bowl.

I'll hang up and listen.

We finished 2nd that year holmes.

Finished 1st in 2012 as well.

What this does is secure our future. We will now have the stability and the income to move forward with upgrades across the board. Plans just 'leaked' for an 'athlete's village' and a huge renovation to the RAC. I've seen the list of candidates we're going after if we fire Flood, and the two at the top have interest in us and are some pretty big name hires.

In many ways, this is as big if not bigger than anything in our athletic history. It ensures that we have a chance at something moving forward. Having a chance at a bright future to me is a heck of a lot better than only having a past.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'll hang up and listen.

I'd love to bash Rutgers as usual, but I'm shocked at how quickly and easily this has gone for them.

I really thought it was going to be a war.

I don't really hate Rutgers beyond a handful of internet posters and Schiano. All the fans I know in real life are really good fans. The one thing about being as bad as they were for that long is that long time fans are all pretty diehard.

Reaction Score
I'd love to bash Rutgers as usual, but I'm shocked at how quickly and easily this has gone for them.

I really thought it was going to be a war.

I don't really hate Rutgers beyond a handful of internet posters and Schiano. All the fans I know in real life are really good fans. The one thing about being as bad as they were for that long is that long time fans are all pretty diehard.

You know actual UNJ fans?

I don't. I don't know a single actual human being that is a fan of UNJ, and I have family that live in North Jersey. I've seen them dressed in red at the stadium, when they come up to CT and lose.

I occasionally see a car with the R sticker on it when driving through that corridor of hell that is the I-95 in jersey. I think jersey is the only place on the entire east coast from south beach all they way to Portland ME, where you can get lost on I-95, because they choose to call the highway something else other than Interstate 95. Much like they choose to call the University of New Jersey something else.

You can't just change the name of something and make it different. Only in Jersey.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@JayRU09 Lmao, ok tied for 2nd to a WVU that beat you. Wonderful. And 2012, the year you lost a de facto conference title game at home to Louisville.

Look, why you would feel the need to come gloat on the greatest day in Rutgers pathetic existence on a UConn message board speaks volumes.

We may be screwed at UConn and we know it. The last thing we need is a jerk off Rutgers fan throwing it in ot faces.

Reaction Score
Only 'gloating' because for so long it's been the same story from everyone, 'Rutgers doesn't draw in NYC'. Well, sure seems like the cable companies are disagreeing with that line of thinking.

People wanted to and continue to knock us every chance they get, so now we get to have the upper hand for once. And damn if it doesn't feel pretty good.

Would have loved to win some national championships or gone to a BCS bowl, but we didn't and we are where we are. In a premier conference with a future.

I've been trying to be civil with you guys as I am a fan of UCONN and would love to see you guys in the B1G, but the more that the B1G accomplishes with this move the more it seems that UCONN fans just keep making fun of our athletics history while pointing to their own.

Well, have fun with history then.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
. Having a chance at a bright future to me is a heck of a lot better than only having a past.

Watch it there Jay. You can't be talking about your past, so I assume you are talking about ours. And our past is still the present. We haven't even hung our newest NC banner yet.

Reaction Score
Only 'gloating' because for so long it's been the same story from everyone, 'Rutgers doesn't draw in NYC'. Well, sure seems like the cable companies are disagreeing with that line of thinking.

People wanted to and continue to knock us every chance they get, so now we get to have the upper hand for once. And damn if it doesn't feel pretty good.

Would have loved to win some national championships or gone to a BCS bowl, but we didn't and we are where we are. In a premier conference with a future.

I've been trying to be civil with you guys as I am a fan of UCONN and would love to see you guys in the B1G, but the more that the B1G accomplishes with this move the more it seems that UCONN fans just keep making fun of our athletics history while pointing to their own.

Well, have fun with history then.

I hesitate to say this, because I would really like to join you in the Big Ten and continue scheduling games with you regardless, but do you realize that Rutgers itself has never done anything to earn that slot? Literally, nothing?

Pretend that Ugly Betty was a billionaire trust fund baby. That's your athletic program: attracting lots of attention for none of the right reasons.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Are the carriage fees x the # of households satisfactory to Fox and the B1G?

If yes, we're doomed.
If not, we're doomed, but in the traditionally good way.

Reaction Score
You know actual UNJ fans?

I don't. I don't know a single actual human being that is a fan of UNJ, and I have family that live in North Jersey. I've seen them dressed in red at the stadium, when they come up to CT and lose.

I occasionally see a car with the R sticker on it when driving through that corridor of hell that is the I-95 in jersey. I think jersey is the only place on the entire east coast from south beach all they way to Portland ME, where you can get lost on I-95, because they choose to call the highway something else other than Interstate 95. Much like they choose to call the University of New Jersey something else.

You can't just change the name of something and make it different. Only in Jersey.

?????

Reaction Score
Much like they choose to call the University of New Jersey something else.

It's SUNJ, CS. Or is it NJSU? No matter. Tomato, rotten tomato.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hesitate to say this, because I would really like to join you in the Big Ten and continue scheduling games with you regardless, but do you realize that Rutgers itself has never done anything to earn that slot? Literally, nothing?

Pretend that Ugly Betty was a billionaire trust fund baby. That's your athletic program: attracting lots of attention for none of the right reasons.

This isn't a knock on you guys, but I think most of us understand that we don't deserve the invite. We already know we've not warrented the invite from the BT, the thing is, the BT thought otherwise.

Reaction Score
This isn't a knock on you guys, but I think most of us understand that we don't deserve the invite. We already know we've not warrented the invite from the BT, the thing is, the BT thought otherwise.
Exactly it doesn't matter who thinks you deserve an invite or not. You got in. I don't get anyone begrudging RU getting into the B1G. Their administrators have been angling to get into the Bit Ten for a while now. We had past administrators tyring to hold the Big East together with duct tape and bubble gum.

Reaction Score

It likely has more to do with the potential of current B1G teams drawing well in NYC and less to do with Rutgers' drawing power.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It likely has more to do with the potential of current B1G teams drawing well in NYC and less to do with Rutgers' drawing power.

That's sour grapes, if that were the case the BTN would already be on basic in the NYC DMA. We still don't know the full details, but if that is in fact what's happened here, you have to tip your hat to Delaney and RU for getting it done.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Does it really matter? Either way, folks are gonna make their way to the stadium for a game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please don't run off @frankthetank. I enjoy him posting here.
I second that. I don't think Frank is a troll, although I do think that he can be pretty myopic. He seems to be unaware of or uninterested in the university's consistent ability to ramp up a given sports program to the highest level of competition. Some tout him as an unbiased voice of reason. I suggest instead that his value is as bellwether of our perception among Midwestern fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As much as all of this pains me, I find it incredible that people still think that the play on the field has any relevance whatsoever. It's unfortunate and even maddening but it is what it is and we saw this coming for years.

Again, I wish it were us. Frankly, if it were us I guarantee a lot of the more colorful people that post here would be gloating like crazy too.

Ugh.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
^ The difference for me at least would be I wouldn't immediately go to opponents message board and brag about it when I damn well know they are in a tough spot through no fault of their own.

Reaction Score

The B1G knew what it was doing all along. Absolutely no one here believes that Rutgers was not a prize for the B1G in terms of $$$. I don't think anyone has ever doubted that. UConn fans do knock Rutgers on the field though even though our football has been even. BBall, not so much. still, Jay shouldn't interpret the doubts on this thread as being about Rutgers as much as its about the nature of the TV deals.

Reaction Score

I've always doubted this idea. It seems crazy to me. Especially since we don't even know what deal the BTN has struck with cable in the boroughs. New Jersey alone is worth it for BTN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom