bryce mcneal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

bryce mcneal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He redshirted as a freshman. That's why it is so important that he graduates before the season starts, so he doesn't waste another year of eligibility sitting out.

He had a good year as a redshirt freshman before losing his job to Sammy Watkins this past year, not exactly a terrible offense.

Also, I hate having to defend recruiting analysts, but they saw McNeal probably dozens of times in high school. Go look at his rivals profile- there are an absurd amount of articles on him. The idea that they just looked at his junior year film is unequivocally false.

Reaction Score
i posted a pic earlier in this thread michael.

i saw that you posted a picture, but the pic itself didn't show up for me and i couldn't click it. i don't know if it's my browser or what but i couldn't see it

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to read the article on 247, but from hearing about it, it sounds like he wasn't able to get in to UConn for whatever reason.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
McNeal is reportedly keeping his options open due to the fact that he has yet to be accepted into grad school at UConn.

Reaction Score
well if he has yet to be accepted it sounds like he still could be and he's still waiting for that as his first option. hopefully this can get done

Reaction Score
No crap. It would suck if we lose him and he ended up in UL due to grades.
We have a hard enough time getting players and here we have one who seemingly wants to come here, has already graduated from an ACC school, and we are making it difficult for him to get into grad school? makes no sense. someone step up and GET'R DONE!

Reaction Score
I hope we can get this done. Theres a number of programs that have been successful insisting on stringent academic requirements, but at this level they are in the minority and have years of history behind them. I don't think we're near that point yet and wisbing doesn't. make it so.

Reaction Score
No crap. It would suck if we lose him and he ended up in UL due to grades.
While I would like to see McNeal as a Huskie we can't lower the academic standards or bend the rules just because of football.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know others don't have Insider Access on ESPN so I thought I'd share this. This is from the Rumor page. Not sure it's anything new from what we've learned.

"Bryce McNeal, a Clemson transfer, was supposed to be preparing for life at Connecticut. McNeal committed to UConn in February after leaving the Tigers' program. But, it appears he still uncertain where he'll attend this season.
"Bryce McNeal, a former Clemson wide receiver was on campus at Louisville over the weekend," Nick Coffey of the Cardinal Connect wrote. "The former four-star recruit verbally committed to Connecticut in January soon after he announced he would transfer from Clemson.

"McNeal has graduated and will be eligible right away...McNeal is reportedly keeping his options open due to the fact that he has yet to be accepted into grad school at UConn."

McNeal never lived up to expectations at Clemson, but he has an opportunity at both Connecticut or Louisville to become one of either team's top targets. Both squads lost the bulk of their top receivers after last season due to graduation, and McNeal will add talent to each wide receiver corps."

Reaction Score
While I would like to see McNeal as a Huskie we can't lower the academic standards or bend the rules just because of football.

I assume/hope that was facetious? It's a nice thought to think college football and basketball players will all be more than capable of not lowering their schools academic standards, but that ship sailed long ago.

Reaction Score

Might as well call the CAA commish to see if there's an opening as well.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If Burton's grandkid had a 2.3 in high school he's still get in to UConn.

Reaction Score
I assume/hope that was facetious? It's a nice thought to think college football and basketball players will all be more than capable of not lowering their schools academic standards, but that ship sailed long ago.
I agree that if we take some high school kid then you are correct. But, I do not agree that it would happen for a grad program, especially if other applicants with better grades are being left out.

This one is trickier than a straight undergrad deal.

Reaction Score
The kid graduated from Clemson in 3 years while playing Division 1 Football? How bad do you really think his grades can be that you have to assume UConn must lower their academic standards? This should have been done already...

Reaction Score
I guess that I used the wrong choice of words here and I did not mean to imply that he bad grades for sure. It was a reply to two other posts which said hey just get this done and that we should just let somebody in because he plays football.

My true feeling, as posted before, is that being accepted to graduate school is often more complicated than just passing the SAT's and sending in an application with the money. It is very difficult to get accepted into some grad programs EVEN WITH GOOD or GREAT GRADES - it's very competitive.

So we have to drop the "just get it done" attitude I think.

Reaction Score
I guess that I used the wrong choice of words here and I did not mean to imply that he bad grades for sure. It was a reply to two other posts which said hey just get this done and that we should just let somebody in because he plays football.

My true feeling, as posted before, is that being accepted to graduate school is often more complicated than just passing the SAT's and sending in an application with the money. It is very difficult to get accepted into some grad programs EVEN WITH GOOD or GREAT GRADES - it's very competitive.

So we have to drop the "just get it done" attitude I think.
We aren't the Ivy League. If you want this school to be successful in athletics this is something you need to accommodate. It might effect a handful of kids a year. Just make the room.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
We aren't the Ivy League. If you want this school to be successful in athletics this is something you need to accommodate. It might effect a handful of kids a year. Just make the room.

I have no knowledge of McNeal's academic credentials or the admission standards for the grad school to which he is applying. But I would not be happy if I were running one of the graduate schools at UConn and was told I had to accept a student (who happened also to be a football player) who did not meet the standards of other applicants. I can understand UConn's desire to protect the academic integrity of its grad schools.

Reaction Score
I find it funny that in a week where we see an institution get knocked down because it put football success before doing the right thing, that people want to see football be put ahead of doing things the right way...

Im not saying that letting someone into a Grad program with preferential treatment will get us to where PSU was, but that culture had to start somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom