Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
weird stories when it comes to recuiting "Connecticut kids" at UConn

no shot clock in HS
dont play in "big games" against elite Powerhouse HS across the USA
they're too close to home and "everyone is in their ear" about playing time etc.
rather travel back and forth home to be with "real friends" instead of bonding with teammates
etc.

but UConn being UConn these days... they can choose who they want

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
but UConn being UConn these days... they can choose who they want

Like Wilson, Turner, Durr, Brown? While UCONN has a great shot at a lot of top recruits it's not as if Geno can just point at any recruit and they come running with their tongues hanging out.

Reaction Score
that's correct.

Do you really know this? Perhaps the coaching staff knew how good she would be, but she just didn't fit in her class. Perhaps W. Virg did an excellent job in player development. I am glad for her and other Conn kids who go away and excell. It's not Uconn or bust. Still, let us celebrate that she is not at ND, Duke or Tenn., etc. Now that would be a different animal to eat.

Reaction Score
no shot clock in HS
they're too close to home and "everyone is in their ear" about playing time etc.
rather travel back and forth home to be with "real friends" instead of bonding with teammates
etc.

A dozen years ago, Geno said Connecticut HS GBB started much later than other states and thus the CT players were behind comparable players in other states in their development every season.

I always considered that a weak excuse and pretty much BS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bria Holmes, had her heart set on playing for UConn. However, I believe she received the short end of the stick. It was reported that Geno was very anxious to recruit Diamond DeShield's & held back on recruiting Bria Holmes in order to entice DeShields to UConn. We all know that in the end, DeShield's s blew off Gino & look where they all are sitting now.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Bria Holmes, had her heart set on playing for UConn. However, I believe she received the short end of the stick. It was reported that Geno was very anxious to recruit Diamond DeShield's & held back on recruiting Bria Holmes in order to entice DeShields to UConn. We all know that in the end, DeShield's s blew off Gino & look where they all are sitting now.

Look where UConn is sitting now: two consecutive national championships and the favorite to win another in 2015. I'm fine with Geno's recruiting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think that was after the fact talk... who sits in a WVa interview and gush over UConn!

HGN

Reaction Score
As I recall Holmes did indeed want to come to UConn.......But as other's have said UConn was focused on DD. But in the end I think all sides are happy at how things turned out. Bria is starring for WVU ; DD starred for UNC (before transferring out) ; and Geno and UConn are starring as the defending NCAA National Champions.

All's well that ends well.

Reaction Score
weird stories when it comes to recuiting "Connecticut kids" at UConn

no shot clock in HS

But 95% of recruiting is based on AAU play anyway. College coaches watch very few HS games, and when they do it is usually just to let the player know they are interested.

Reaction Score

Yep, UConn has really suffered. As for Holmes, none of us really know if (a) she really wanted to go to UConn; and (b) if Auriemma, for whatever reason, thought she wasn't a good fit due to style of play or desire for a lot of playing time, etc. FWIW, there have been many HS All-Americans who UConn did not recruit for various reasons even though those players were interested in UConn. It doesn't seem to have turned out too badly for UConn.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It is really difficult for me to even think about 2nd guessing Geno and our recruiting strategies. Really? Final Four every year, Nat Championships regularly. A boatload of talent, now and for the next5 years. This is kind of funny! :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is really difficult for me to even think about 2nd guessing Geno and our recruiting strategies. Really? Final Four every year, Nat Championships regularly. A boatload of talent, now and for the next5 years. This is kind of funny! :)
its just about a Connecticut kid...we all know that Geno isn't hard up for talent. Some are just curious about a home grown TOP kid not playing at the "State U".

Reactions: HGN

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
its just about a Connecticut kid...we all know that Geno isn't hard up for talent. Some are just curious about a home grown TOP kid not playing at the "State U".
Oh- and she is terrific- and is drop dead gorgeous!

Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the discussion about Conn. recruit, Bria Holmes. So what, some of you say, it ended up good in the end. My point is 'The end does not justify the mean's." Hey look at me, I'm successful with a huge fortune. How come, I sell street drugs", e.g.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the discussion about Conn. recruit, Bria Holmes. So what, some of you say, it ended up good in the end. My point is 'The end does not justify the mean's." Hey look at me, I'm successful with a huge fortune. How come, I sell street drugs", e.g.

Oh my God. Yeah, let's compare Geno's supposed recruiting failures (in your view, at least) to selling street drugs. Help! Help! The lunatics have taken over the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
eOh my God. Yeah, let's compare Geno's supposed recruiting failures (in your view, at least) to selling street drugs. Help! Help! The lunatics have taken over the Boneyard!
You've taken my message out of context. I've never said that, 'Geno was a drug dealer'. I said e.g. which indicates,as a example given ' for the 'end does not justify the means. Thanks, for the unflattering name you indicated of me.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
would love to know what context you were working from... yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom