Bria Holmes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bria Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You've taken my message out of context. I've never said that, 'Geno was a drug dealer'. I said e.g. which indicates,as a example given ' for the 'end does not justify the means. Thanks, for the unflattering name you indicated of me.
In fairness to the other posters, I just went and read the entire thread and don't understand your comments and subsequent examples regarding the "ends justifying the means". I agree that a drug deal who amasses a fortune is an example of that, but I'm trying to understand why that's relevant to UCONN vis-a-vis recruiting.

Reaction Score
Geno has a right to recruit whoever he so chooses. I feel Bria Holmes ( B- 12 preseason player of the year) a Conn kid was not given a fair shake because of recruiting politics. Diamond ended up going to another school. taking with her several recruits to North Carolina that Geno was definitely interested in. I believe that trading off recruits can be unjust.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
its just about a Connecticut kid...we all know that Geno isn't hard up for talent. Some are just curious about a home grown TOP kid not playing at the "State U".

Two words: Sadie Edwards.
yes, after her freshman year the Meriden CT native attended out of state schools, apparently looking for a higher level of competition to bump up her resume. Still, she is a Connecticut resident and a top 20 recruit according to HoopGurlz.

At the end of the day, we really do not know the facts behind story that Bria Holmes was not a UConn target, and I do believe that her recruitment was discussed on the Boneyard three years ago at least without these facts coming to light.

All I know is that Geno recruits a certain type of player, and not all players are UConn types...Often Geno has interest in a player at the outset, but over time that interest cools for a number of reasons, and such is the case in Bria's recruitment per this article from 2011

LINK

It is interesting to note that the two schools in the running were Rutgers and WV, with Rutgers appearing to be in the lead before she took her official visit to WV:

"Holmes was drawing interest from many of the top programs in the country, including UConn. She said the Huskies were in the running at one point, but then she and the school lost contact. She also said she was leaning towards Rutgers before she made her official visit to West Virginia."

So there was interest, it cooled, and she went on to thrive in another school. Personally, I am glad that she didn't land at Rutgers. Congrats to her for being recognized as the Big12 Preseason Player of the Year...

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the discussion about Conn. recruit, Bria Holmes. So what, some of you say, it ended up good in the end. My point is 'The end does not justify the mean's." Hey look at me, I'm successful with a huge fortune. How come, I sell street drugs", e.g.
What does that have to do with anything? :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno has a right to recruit whoever he so chooses. I feel Bria Holmes ( B- 12 preseason player of the year) a Conn kid was not given a fair shake because of recruiting politics. Diamond ended up going to another school. taking with her several recruits to North Carolina that Geno was definitely interested in. I believe that trading off recruits can be unjust.
Well obviously Geno didn't want her, for whatever reason, and according to her, she wasn't all the interested in UCONN either. So really there is not a problem here. Why are some of you trying to create one????

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
So you are saying she's lying?
Nope... just don't wanna talk about UConn. She's at WVa... water under the bridge. Very mature interview

Reaction Score
It really is water under the bridge. Nothing wrong with talking about it but anyone who criticizes the UConn coaching staff for not going after or getting her is wasting their time. Reminds me of Calhoun being asked about not recruiting Ryan Gomes of Waterbury. His answer was perhaps with more heat than Geno's might be, but he basically said he was an undersized post player who didn't play competitive high school basketball, so they recruited Caron Butler. Can't get or even go after them all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nope... just don't wanna talk about UConn. She's at WVa... water under the bridge. Very mature interview
Good, believe her. She wasn't that interested in UCONN.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
so things evolved in the 7 months between when this article was written and when the article I posted was written.

and UConn had enough interest to see her play several times.

we still don't know why she sorted through what seems to be the entire BE plus Duke and Baylor and ended up choosing between Rutgers and WV, with WV getting the final nod

and the matter is moot

UConn did show interest in this top prospect from CT

she ended up going elsewhere where she appears ro be thriving, happy, and doing very well

as is UConn.

perhaps the matter is now settled for all.

perhaps...

Reaction Score
In this discussion on Bria, I have read words such as truth, liar & I have been referred to one who has lost his 'mental capacity'. Arguments can be healthy & learning, but let it not become demeaning to the participants. It can come to a point where, ' Truth is expressed & if you say it too often nobody will believe it'.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Artifact said:
Bria Holmes, had her heart set on playing for UConn. However, I believe she received the short end of the stick. It was reported that Geno was very anxious to recruit Diamond DeShield's & held back on recruiting Bria Holmes in order to entice DeShields to UConn. We all know that in the end, DeShield's s blew off Gino & look where they all are sitting now.

So hopefully the matter is settled now at least from the standpoint of whether or not Brea Holmes was recruited by UConn and whether or not she's in the place where she supposed to be.

Surely we have evidence enough to have some answers for your points that you raised in your post above.

Reaction Score
Clearly, Geno does not have Connecticut, or New England, defined as the "back yard" that is to be protected in recruiting. That is New York State, which makes great sense--and helps explain the SNY deal. It has a much larger population, with a much higher standard of HS ball, and no single dominant in-state program, while he can offer a nationally recognized, highly successful one next door.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In the words of John Oliver, "Why is this still a thing?"

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the discussion about Conn. recruit, Bria Holmes. So what, some of you say, it ended up good in the end. My point is 'The end does not justify the mean's." Hey look at me, I'm successful with a huge fortune. How come, I sell street drugs", e.g.

These posts are head scratchers I must say. I thought about linking them to my replies after researching them to see if I could find support for your claims in the first post - I found information supporting quite the opposite as did others - so I did not, and went with another post that summed up the issues the best

....and the second is an interesting comparison: comparing a person who comes by his success via ill gotten (and illegal) gains against UConn's recruiting implying perhaps some ill gotten gains?....I couldn't make the connection and I didn't want to try, so I let it go.

It is a strange thing indeed.
In the words of John Oliver, "Why is this still a thing?"

Dunno. Hopefully it is no longer. It appears that all questions surrounding Bria Holmes recruitment process have been answered as best as possible with the information we have on hand.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In this discussion on Bria, I have read words such as truth, liar & I have been referred to one who has lost his 'mental capacity'. Arguments can be healthy & learning, but let it not become demeaning to the participants. It can come to a point where, ' Truth is expressed & if you say it too often nobody will believe it'.
Well you are the one who came in there demeaning Geno and UCONN's recruiting of Holmes, when according to Holmes herself your points were invalid. So, you are gonna have to expect a little blowback. A lot of us on here don't take too kindly to inaccurate portrayals of Geno and UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom