Breaking News: Yuengling to CT... | The Boneyard

Breaking News: Yuengling to CT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was watching the NBC-30 newscast while having breakfast. Their sign off story before turning over to the Today show was that Yuengling Brewing has decided to return distribution to Connecticut by the summer. In light of this momentous report, I propose that Opening Night against BYU be Boneyard-Yuengling Tailgate Night. The hoops board has adopted Rolling Rock, we can advocate The country's oldest brewery!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I tried some while in Long Island last month since I had never seen it. It was okay, just a notch above the likes of Bud.

Reaction Score
It returned to MA a couple of months ago. I do like this beer, but coming back to New England is about 10 years too late in my opinion. The Craft Beer Scene has exploded and the need for this beer now is just not what it could have been a while back. I will say this, very quickly you can find it everywhere. In mass quantities at the grocery store and packies, to taking over tap handles at bars. It won't be hard to find in CT.

Reaction Score
Was watching the NBC-30 newscast while having breakfast. Their sign off story before turning over to the Today show was that Yuengling Brewing has decided to return distribution to Connecticut by the summer. In light of this momentous report, I propose that Opening Night against BYU be Boneyard-Yuengling Tailgate Night. The hoops board has adopted Rolling Rock, we can advocate The country's oldest brewery!
You have our vote!

Now our tailgate group won't have to have Nick from Worcester be the only one to bring it to every game!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It returned to MA a couple of months ago. I do like this beer, but coming back to New England is about 10 years too late in my opinion. The Craft Beer Scene has exploded and the need for this beer now is just not what it could have been a while back. I will say this, very quickly you can find it everywhere. In mass quantities at the grocery store and packies, to taking over tap handles at bars. It won't be hard to find in CT.

Yes, more than 10 years too late really. I have it available in MA and won't buy it. While it is very good for the price, and it would be my go to beer if I were a college student for that reason, it's probably in the bottom 25% of craft beers from a pure taste/quality perspective. That being said, I have noticed others being excited as well. So it will do pretty well. It seems to be a bridge beer, between the mass produced yellow beers, and better craft beers. Narragansett is similar in that regard.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Living in Boston, I can attest to all this.

It's probably the most-advertised beer in Boston right now, you see it everywhere. It's a great cheap beer, so I'm not surprised all the bars picked it up so quick. It's just targeting a different crowd than those looking to try craft beers. Go to Lord Hobo, Parish Cafe, Bukowski's, Lower Depths etc. for craft beers (and you won't see Yuengling there), go to Faneuil, Fenway/Kenmore or Allston for cheap beer (and you won't see craft beer there). Both populations are very well represented all over Boston.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This pleases me.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Pfffft. I still don't get the hype around this stuff.

Narragansett is similar in that regard.

Penalty! Maybe Naggy lager or light, which is fairly generic, but their seasonals/specialties (Bock, Fest, Summer) are all pretty damned good.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Beer snobs...........jeesh!

I happen to like both craft and "cheap" beer. YL is great tailgating beer. Would I order it a good brewhouse......no. There is, however, no need to look down your nose (beer snobs are guilty of this) at someone who likes to drink Bud or Miller. Do they tell you what to eat?

Let em drink what they want.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear this news. I was a little surprised to learn that Yuengling used to be sold in CT until 1996. I have no memory of drinking it or even seeing it back then.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pfffft. I still don't get the hype around this stuff.

Penalty! Maybe Naggy lager or light, which is fairly generic, but their seasonals/specialties (Bock, Fest, Summer) are all pretty damned good.

Yes, most people when the say Yuengling mean the Lager, which I find to be pretty similar to Narragansett Lager (and at a similar price). The Gansett Porter and Bohemian Pilsner are quite good. The Yuengling Bock is pretty decent too by the way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Beer snobs......jeesh!

I happen to like both craft and "cheap" beer. YL is great tailgating beer. Would I order it a good brewhouse.no. There is, however, no need to look down your nose (beer snobs are guilty of this) at someone who likes to drink Bud or Miller. Do they tell you what to eat?

Let em drink what they want.

Nonsense. Every craft beer drinker started out drinking Bud Light and MGD etc. Back in the 80's in there was nothing else, except maybe Molson and Labatts. We should try to evangelize for craft beer, but that means (1) knowing to start slow, with wheat beers or good pilsners and mild ales and lagers and (2) not pushing too hard. You can't drop a Stone Arrogant Bastard on a Lite beer drinker, their heads will explode.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I and some co-workers did a cheap(ish) beer blind taste test a while back. Gansett Bohemian pilsner and Fosters came out near the top, and Bud, Bud light and Natty came out near the bottom. Would have been nice to compare Yuengling lager and Gansett lager... and maybe a less cheapo session style beer like Full Sale session.

Reaction Score
Ha! I always thought this was a Chinese beer made with water from the Yangtzee River.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
don't bother this is available in CT now - a tribute to our 3X texas hoops titles
shiner-bock1.jpg

Reaction Score

That stuff is godawful.

Reaction Score
Uconnrick said:
Beer snobs...........jeesh! I happen to like both craft and "cheap" beer. YL is great tailgating beer. Would I order it a good brewhouse......no. There is, however, no need to look down your nose (beer snobs are guilty of this) at someone who likes to drink Bud or Miller. Do they tell you what to eat? Let em drink what they want.
Of course not, everyone has a right to eat bad food and drink average or worse beer! Knowing and appreciating better quality food or beverages doesn't necessarily equate to foodie or brew snobbery.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the irony of a beer night at the BYU game besides me?

Reaction Score
Why not support some of your local CT breweries that are actually quite good, namely, NEBC.

By the way, is Ghandi Bot out right now? Never had it and I'm visiting the folks this weekend, want to know if I can get it at Crazy Bruce's.

Reaction Score
I thought Yuengling was a 300 lb sumo wrestler who wants to try his hand at UCONN football.

Reaction Score
You always want something you can't have. Reminds me of days when Coors had to be shipped cold and was hard to get..

Once you can get it easily, it's not so great anymore...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak