Bracketology - UConn to Lincoln | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bracketology - UConn to Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You should read golf rulings.

Actually, I have read golf rules. I'm amazed at how a pretty short and straightforward pamphlet-like pocket book can generate a bible- sized book of decisions. My knees have kept me off the course for a while but I was a pretty good rules guy.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
UConn should be placed in Lincoln. And Louisville should be made a #1 seed. Three(3) of Louisville's four(4) losses have been to the Number 1 team in the country. Why should they be punished for that. They have still won 30 games.

You're right , there hasn't been enough emphasis on this. Why should they suffer because they play in the conference with the best team and had to play them 3 times?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn should be placed in Lincoln. And Louisville should be made a #1 seed. Three(3) of Louisville's four(4) losses have been to the Number 1 team in the country. Why should they be punished for that. They have still won 30 games.
Apparently they don't have enough "good" wins. Many of the posters here want to sweep aside all their teams' inconvenient bad losses and just focus on all the 25-50 so-so teams their heroines beat. Since Louisville only had USF and Rutgers in that category in their conference (cue the vocal guy espousing the RPI and how the Bulls and Knights are in the 50s there), the Cards didn't pile up a lot of wins against bad teams who puffed up their resumes by playing all the OOC games at home against mediocrities.

So yes, the Cards too are doooooooooooooooomed.

Reaction Score
You're right , there hasn't been enough emphasis on this. Why should they suffer because they play in the conference with the best team and had to play them 3 times?

The argument against them has nothing to do with their losses to UConn.
It has to do with their lack of quality wins. Their "best" win is over LSU -- a team projected as a #8 seed.

So a better question: what evidence do we have that they can beat a #1,2,3,4,5,6, or even 7 seed? They didn't do it in their first 30 games.
Another question: why should other teams suffer when they actually beat some good teams?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I loved my McCarville/Whalen Gophers way back about 13-14 years ago...

#7 seed.
They were somewhat artificially low, hurt by the mid-season injury to Whalen, which caused them to lose more games than they would have otherwise.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And of course why should teams suffer any drop in the seeding potential for losing to teams out in the 60s, 70s, and 80s rankings? Why of course they just didn't happen, I guess.

Love how the RPI-guys just want to play up all the mediocre SEC conference wins and ignore all the poor home losses or act like a Stanford loss to Washington means nothing. No, Louisville didn't get a chance to play the SEC conference schedule, but they certainly always won the game when they when the were facing an LSU at home or a Washington on the road.

Reaction Score
I meant what changed to cause him to suddenly move UConn to Lincoln. Nothing. The guy just admitted he doesn't know what he's doing.

The brackets he puts out are not his opinion: they're just his attempt to predict the actions of the actual committee. He now feels that the publicity will affect the actions of the committe as they have in the past, so hence his change. He's not trying to come up with a bracket that he thinks is best, but the one based on the committee's rules and past actions.

Reaction Score
As I pointed out yesterday, if they haven't changed the rules (and there is no indication they have changed them) then applying the rules , subject to the override of the agreements to allow regional hosts to play at home and a literal application of the rules sends UConn to ND.

The point of this argument, as an astute fan picked up on when I ran it past her last night, isn't that the committee will send UConn to ND, but that they won't which means they must have some flexibility. And if they do have flexibility, they do not HAVE to send UConn to Louisville.

It frees them up to apply the underlying principles.

The original decision to emphasize geography was to concede that economics trumped the S-curve. As Charlie points out, the decision to allow teams to host was a further nod to economics. The rules aren't pure economics, they still want to give preference to teams who have earned the top positions in the list, but when sites were neutral, given that preference was almost equivalent to sending teams to the closest venue. They didn't literally want to say, Top seed, where would you like to play", but given neutral locations, sending the top four teams to the closest locations, in order, was effectively the selection committee granting that option.

They missed that the best available option changes a lot when the regionals are not neutral. So, rather than slavishly send to the closest option, they can choose the underlying goal of sending the top four seeds, in order, tot he site most desirable to them. One minor nice aspect is that you do not even have to debate whether UConn or ND is number one. Either order, they would choose the same things.

They still have to deal with 2 seeds, and whether location or match ups should reign, but for the top seeds, I think Charlie has sussed out how the committee will think.
I really wouldn't mind denying ND a trip to the final Four (and spoiling their undefeated season), on their home court, but I'm not sure 3 refs can be found to call a fair game there.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
This selection show will be one of the more interesting ones in recent memory. Creme is usually accurate with his top seed selections, but after that, not so much. It's fun to look at though.

As far as a potential Tennessee Louisville matchup, I would welcome it. Maybe we could avenge a tough loss from last year. That's even if we make it that far. Going strictly by cremes bracket, there are teams that would be capable of beating Tennessee and Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom