Diarra5.02.73.335.7%28.6%75.0%
Castle16.74.01.760.0%28.6%73.3%
Ball8.03.73.757.1%16.7%70.0%
Johnson11.36.00.359.1%100.0%70.0%
Roumoglou3.03.70.327.3%14.3%100.0%
Ross6.72.00.741.2%33.3%50.0%
Singare2.03.00.050.0%none taken0.0%
Hurley0.70.70.0100.0%none takennone taken
You beat me to it. Here's a sheet if people want to copy it.

Reaction Score
Tough to draw conclusions based on the level of competition, but pretty balanced scoring. Six guys averaging double figures.

Reaction Score
You beat me to it. Here's a sheet if people want to copy it.

Statistical takeaways

-4 guys with 15+ points per game and Spencer with over 13. The bunched nature of the scoring was pretty much what I expected (except it'll be a few less PPG for all of them against better competition).
-Turnovers were extremely low for early season exhibitions.
-Clingan had very few blocks. Still dunks everything. 2/3 from 3.
-Karaban and Spencer can shoot baby. Newton is still a bit streaky.
-Castle is pretty efficient inside the arc and got to the line a bunch. Ended up our leading scorer.
-Newton didn't miss a FT and led the team in assists and steals.
-4 guys with at least 2.5 assists per game and Castle wasn't one of them.
-Ball's 3pt shooting in the open practice may have been a bit of an anomaly, but Ross's volume of attempts shows confidence. Ross took all but 2 of his shots from 3. Ball a much more even split and got to the line as well.
-Johnson will be a force on the offensive glass.

Reaction Score
Tough to draw conclusions based on the level of competition, but pretty balanced scoring. Six guys averaging double figures.
I wouldn't be surprised if any of Karaban, Clingan, Spencer, Newton or Castle made first team all conference. That's pretty wild.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if any of Karaban, Clingan, Spencer, Newton or Castle made first team all conference. That's pretty wild.

I suspect we'll be so balanced on offense that deciding who to vote for all-conference could be tough.

Gun to my head, I'm guessing Karaban.

Reaction Score
My random thought, feel free to ignore:

Newton looks like Newton. I'm interested to see what he refined this off-season. Hasn't shown it here because he didn't really need to.

Spencer has an old man at the park game. His release is old school, but super consistent. Love that we're letting him lead the offense. Will make us hard to defend.

Castle seems more like a 2G. I suspect we'll be in a PG by committee season, with Newton being the primary leader. Talent is obvious but needs to pass the rock better.

If Solo can't shoot, it's going to limit his minutes. Being a 10mpg vs 25mpg guy is going to come down to shooting. He'll definitely see the floor because of freak athleticism and defense, but he needs more. How he scored in these games isn't going to be available in the Big East nearly as much. I like his tenacity and drive.

Karaban looks like Karaban. Ie. really good. I'm hoping he can be a bit more aggressive on the drive. Didn't show anything new at the rim in these games.

Clingan is going to hurt someone this season. He's huge. Love us getting him comfortable at the top of the key. Taking a three or two per game seems about right for him too. Just enough to spread the floor and give some film for NBA front offices.

Reaction Score

Newton looks like Newton. I'm interested to see what he refined this off-season. Hasn't shown it here because he didn't really need to.

Spencer has an old man at the park game. His release is old school, but super consistent. Love that we're letting him lead the offense. Will make us hard to defend.

Castle seems more like a 2G. I suspect we'll be in a PG by committee season, with Newton being the primary leader. Talent is obvious but needs to pass the rock better.

If Solo can't shoot, it's going to limit his minutes. Being a 10mpg vs 25mpg guy is going to come down to shooting. He'll definitely see the floor because of freak athleticism and defense, but he needs more. How he scored in these games isn't going to be available in the Big East nearly as much. I like his tenacity and drive.

Karaban looks like Karaban. Ie. really good. I'm hoping he can be a bit more aggressive on the drive. Didn't show anything new at the rim in these games.

Clingan is going to hurt someone this season. He's huge. Love us getting him comfortable at the top of the key. Taking a three or two per game seems about right for him too. Just enough to spread the floor and give some film for NBA front offices.
And the team is still down Stewart.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just watched the 2nd game and man, Castle is so impressive. He’s probably our best perimeter scorer on the team next to Cam. He pretty much gets to the rim at will and is a great offensive rebounder to go with it. Surprisingly looks really good defensively too.

When him and Ball were in the game we seemed to play a lot faster which was cool to see. A lot of drives and shots at the rim while creating for others. Put a lot of pressure on the defense. Super talented backcourt when they’re in the game.

Going to be interesting to see how Hurley manages all this talent when the season starts. Ball and Castle should see big minutes next to Cam and Newton. Being able to have 3 big time playmakers in the game at all times with different skills is going to be so good for us.

It’s funny because Castle didn’t have many assists, but it seemed like it was because he scored so easily. When there was a chance to pass he was usually pretty good with finding an open guy.

Good to see Solo handling a lot of ball handling responsibility in these games too! 2nd on the team in assists.

Reaction Score
Just watched the 2nd game and man, Castle is so impressive. He’s probably our best perimeter scorer on the team next to Cam. He pretty much gets to the rim at will and is a great offensive rebounder to go with it. Surprisingly looks really good defensively too.

When him and Ball were in the game we seemed to play a lot faster which was cool to see. A lot of drives and shots at the rim while creating for others. Put a lot of pressure on the defense. Super talented backcourt when they’re in the game.

Going to be interesting to see how Hurley manages all this talent when the season starts. Ball and Castle should see big minutes next to Cam and Newton. Being able to have 3 big time playmakers in the game at all times with different skills is going to be so good for us.

It’s funny because Castle didn’t have many assists, but it seemed like it was because he scored so easily. When there was a chance to pass he was usually pretty good with finding an open guy.

Good to see Solo handling a lot of ball handling responsibility in these games too! 2nd on the team in assists.
With Castle shooting 60% he should never pass! I can't believe how loaded we are a year after winning a NC. We've become like the Uconn women the last few years with incredible bench player depth.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Good insight. I’ll add…

Ross taking 15 3-pointers surprised me. Of all the freshmen, he was the one I was least sure of what his role would be this year. If it’s going to be a shooting option off the bench, that’s exactly what we need. 33% isn’t bad, if he can get it up to 36% we’d be cooking.

Johnson dominated the offensive glass. If he will be attacking offensive rebounds like that this season, that’s a big piece we are missing losing Jackson & Sanogo.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
One concern is the 3 pt. shooting off the bench. Only Ross showed any semblance of consistent ability, and still at only 33%.

That said, if bench 3 point shooting is our key weakness, I'll take it; it can be pretty easily coached around with a good substitution pattern. A possible sneaky reason why Diarra is starting?

Reaction Score
Over 30 3PA per game on the trip? That’s even more than last season. Curious if we’re going to actually rip it more this year, or if it was due to a combination of opponent talent/24 second shot clock

Reaction Score
Over 30 3PA per game on the trip? That’s even more than last season. Curious if we’re going to actually rip it more this year, or if it was due to a combination of opponent talent/24 second shot clock

We took an insane amount of field goals because of the terrible competition. If you look at % of shots from deep, we're where you would expect.

Reaction Score
I think Newton, and Castle are going to be fouled a ton taking the ball to the rim, and Clingan is going to get hacked regularly to send him to the line in a version of 'hack a Shaq' if his percentage stays in the 50's. I loved Donovan's 8 of 9 from the line, and I'm hopeful of 75% from Castle, (Newton is proven over 80%).

Reaction Score
Did Gavin Keefe rip off Borges handwritten stats?
Borges tweeted the first game’s box score, but not the second or third. If the first game’s score came from his hand, definitely looks like he did all 3. I’m guessing somebody else wrote them since it’d be weird for Borges to post 1 game and not the others

Reaction Score
Borges tweeted the first game’s box score, but not the second or third. If the first game’s score came from his hand, definitely looks like he did all 3. I’m guessing somebody else wrote them since it’d be weird for Borges to post 1 game and not the others
Plus he's not there and he couldn't watch the games until the video was available the next day. Those stats were probably being done by someone on the UConn bench (not a player).

Reaction Score
Whoa! This is going to be a great team but, please, pay no attention to stats versus Europe’s JVs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom