Bowl math | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Bowl math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
stupid question…but say uconn goes 8-4 next year and there are enough teams bowl eligible…does uconn still get in a bowl?
The answer is maybe. After all contracts between bowls and conferences or independents are fulfilled, you will see how many open spots there are. Teams that are 7-5 or above will have to be selected for them before 6-6 teams can be, which means the overwhelming likelihood is that if we go 8-4 there will not be enough teams 7-5 and better to shut us out.

But can anyone guaranty that to you a year ahead of time? No.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
stupid question…but say uconn goes 8-4 next year and there are enough teams bowl eligible…does uconn still get in a bowl?
This will always be the biggest drawback to being an independent. Unless you are Army who I believe has a bowl tie in, you will always be at the mercy of not having enough bowl eligible teams. Maybe if we continue having success we find some sort of bowl tie, but I'm not sure. DB has pulled some rabbits out of his hat but that one would be one heck of a trick!

Reaction Score
Michigan State lost so they are not eligible at 5-7. Yea for the good guys!

Reaction Score
CoachCap is right. I also worry how well UConn would do against Duke next month. Would be great if UConn could win a bowl game in Dec. Next year, the UConn team will likely improve so a matchup would be more competitive.
Wow we're scared of Dook. Having trouble processing this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
According to McMurphy, If there are enough teams with automatic tie ins with the requisite amount of wins, then no. UConn could be 12-0, and so long as they are not selected to the CFP, they are not guaranteed a bowl bid.

Reaction Score
According to McMurphy, If there are enough teams with automatic tie ins with the requisite amount of wins, then no. UConn could be 12-0, and so long as they are not selected to the CFP, they are not guaranteed a bowl bid.
It is theoretically possible. As a matter of statistical probabilities it is so unlikely that I’d worry about other things if I were you.

Note that this is a statement as of today. Changing rules, changes in bowl contracts or adding and subtracting bowls all change the math.

Reaction Score
It is theoretically possible. As a matter of statistical probabilities it is so unlikely that I’d worry about other things if I were you.

Note that this is a statement as of today. Changing rules, changes in bowl contracts or adding and subtracting bowls all change the math.

To piggyback on this, they have enough trouble finding enough 6-6 teams to fill these things. This year they couldn't.

How is there ever going to be a year when there are too many 7 win teams?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yuck
Nothing like the shores of Lake Saint Claire in early winter.

1669591802162.png

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't worry about it. OTOH, that wasn't the question.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong…but the only guarantee of a bowl for UConn is if they’re the highest rated of all the G5’s. Which would put them into one of the major bowls that every G5 is entitled to. Example…Tulane this year. Otherwise they could go 10-2 and stay home…nothing is guaranteed. A 6-6 team from the sun belt is contractually entitled to a slot….but not a 10-2 INDY. My personal opinion is UConn should work some sort of bowl game out with CBS and have a tie in. Hopefully next contract! “The Subway Bowl at the Yale Bowl” lol

Reaction Score
The guarantee for all teams not put into a contracted bowl is to have a better record than anybody that remains if there are non-contracted spots left.

Even that I'm not sure about and who sets those rules.

I know there's been talk about if there's a 1 game wiggle room. Say taking a 7-5 team over an 8-4. I know conference tie in bowls have had rules like that.

Honestly it's a bit of a free for all and until I see an overall NCAA rule on bowls and consequences I'll just assume it's a free for all except needing to be over 500 but there are waivers for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom