"Bowl game or not, this UConn football season has already been a success" - Kels Dayton, WTNH | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Bowl game or not, this UConn football season has already been a success" - Kels Dayton, WTNH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PPKChamp said:
because Paul Pasqualoni started with a team that went to the Fiesta bowl and Bob started with a team that SUCKED

Bob started with a team that was the opposite of a disaster. Whatever that means.

Reaction Score
Redding Husky said:
4-8 was expected. 5-7 would be an unquestioned success. 6-6 would be a gift from the football gods.

Personally I'm not satisfied with less than 6 wins and a bowl game. I would not call 5-7 a success. But it is progress.

There were at least a handful of folks that thought 0-12 was on the table. So they must be over the moon.

Reaction Score
We have not beaten Tulane and this season is being considered a success by some dude in the media? Please fire this writer.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Personally I'm not satisfied with less than 6 wins and a bowl game. I would not call 5-7 a success. But it is progress.

There were at least a handful of folks that thought 0-12 was on the table. So they must be over the moon.

I define success as "better than expected". I didn't expect this team to go 5-7. So if we do that, I think the year is a success.

But yes, I'm not happy with that. We need 6-6 and a bowl to get back to relevancy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
To be fair to Palatine he claimed the team was the opposite of a "complete disaster".
Well, the opposite of -70 is 70, while the opposite of -100 is 100. So, the opposite of a disaster is something that's great, and the opposite of a complete disaster is something that's completely awesome. Therfore, Diaco took a team that was completely awesome and ran it into the ground on day one.

Reaction Score
Redding Husky said:
I define success as "better than expected". I didn't expect this team to go 5-7. So if we do that, I think the year is a success. But yes, I'm not happy with that. We need 6-6 and a bowl to get back to relevancy.

I'd define success as achieving a goal. I know 5-7 isn't my goal, nor is it HCBD's I'm sure. My goal was a bowl.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'd define success as achieving a goal. I know 5-7 isn't my goal, nor is it HCBD's I'm sure. My goal was a bowl.

Fair enough.

As long as the trend is up (not stagnant or down), I'm ok.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Palatine he claimed the team was the opposite of a "complete disaster".
Which mean we should be bowling NOW. Palatine wants to see UConn going from 2-10 to bowling NOW. HE WANTS IT NOW. DON'T CARE HOW!!

veruca_salt.jpg

Palatine, since you probably won't get this, I'm implying you're a whining child with an unfounded and (at best) immature sense of entitlement

Reaction Score
You guys see this team last season?

We lost to Army. We were life and death to beat Stony Brook. The highpoint of the last month of 2014 was almost beating 0-11 SMU.

I'm good with calling this season a success.
I have to agree. Not to take Fishy's thunder, as if that's possible, but you have to measure where you have been and how far you have come. It's all semantics as far as I'm concerned. We are going to win today and make the year both successful and improved. Last year this team was unwatchable (is that a word?) after the first quarter.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
"Pasquiloniland"..."Pasquiloniland"...hmmm. Imagine the the amusement park. The roller coaster would start out flat and just go downhill. Would have to be engineered by M.C. Escher.
images

Edit: 5-7 hopeful
6-6 happy
7-5 very happy
8-5 or better ecstatic

Reaction Score
The TV guide on Comcast says it all. UConn can match the win total of the last 2 years combined with a win today.

So let's see...we won 5 games total in the previous 2 years and we are on the verge of getting our 5th win this year.

We all have heard about the internal rebuild that has been going on and we are now seeing results on the field. Nothing to debate here.

The way Temple played last night gives me a slight bit of hope in our finale. They will not put up 60 on us.

Reaction Score
http://sportzedge.com/2015/11/03/bo...n-football-season-has-already-been-a-success/

I agree 100%. Bowling wasn't a must have for me this year, it was a nice to have. I wanted to see notable improvement and have the program be well-positioned moving forward. I am convinced HCBD has done that. I'm starting to thing the anti-Diaco crowd relish any chance to point out mistakes because they have a ulterior axe to grind, be it that he is not a CT guy, and/or he won't focus on CT first, and/or he replaced PP who was the choice of the high school coaches cabal. Having said that, I'm not ready to proclaim this year a success yet -- I will wait until the end for that. The team and the staff still has to show they are moving in the right direction for the next three games. From what I have seen so far this year, I expect that is what will continue to happen. I have no reason not to. I really don't understand where Diaco naysayers could be coming from at this point in time.
I have to agree that . Who would have thought we could be in a bowl game, after last season? Some of us were calling for HCBD's head...the future is BRIGHT...Now, lets make the AAC the P6 conference... and lets schedule ACC teams EVERY YEAR...and SEC and PAC12 and BigXII and B1G...

Reaction Score
If we end up 5-7 Diaco is in Pasqualoniland. If 5-7 wasn't good enough for P. why is it good enough for D?

4-8 is terrible.
5-7 just means we haven't gone backwards like last year.
6-6 is a good step in the right direction. Something to build on.
7-5. He should get a parade,

It was not good enough for FHCPP because HE took us backwards. At least this year we still might get to be BOWL ELIGIBLE...Did FHCPP got us to a bowl game?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have achieved the minimum bar to substantiate progress. I will now spend the next two weeks hoping either Houston or Temple comes down with mono.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We have achieved the minimum bar to substantiate progress. I will now spend the next two weeks hoping either Houston or Temple comes down with mono.

Yeah because Temple is a juggernaut who needed to return a blocked PAT for 2 points to beat UMass.

You can set your expectations wherever you like - but it's just silly to ignore where the program was 2 years ago and act like this is the minimal level of improvement. It reads like something Palatine would post - is that really who you want to sound like?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yeah because Temple is a juggernaut who needed to return a blocked PAT for 2 points to beat UMass.

You can set your expectations wherever you like - but it's just silly to ignore where the program was 2 years ago and act like this is the minimal level of improvement. It reads like something Palatine would post - is that really who you want to sound like?

Half the team is gone from two years ago as is the coach. Not giving away points on turnovers like they did last season alone should be worth 3 wins. There is no honor is being a passable FB team regardless of how inept the previous season was. There is still talent here and they continue to make poor plays on field and on the sidelines. It's not like more time in the weight room, film room, or more reps is going to change that. It will change when they decide to change it. You don't need time for that, just focus. We aren't growing wheat here. Go play like a FBS team and don't be satisfied with not being the complete embarrassment of the past few years because their are no ribbons for not sucking.

This afternoon's effort aside this team has been watchable but they blew a shot at a bowl against USF so, go make up for it. Whether they make it to 6 or not isn't as important as putting in a respectable effort against good teams, but it's close. I wanted a shot at bowl eligibility before the last home game and I got it. Forgive the lack of a Mission Accomplished banner. The goal for every team, every season is to make a bowl game regardless of how bad you are. That's the only measure of a successful season. If they come up short, the season will no longer be a failure but it's hard to call 5-7 a success if you care at all about excellence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Half the team is gone from two years ago as is the coach. Not giving away points on turnovers like they did last season alone should be worth 3 wins. There is no honor is being a passable FB team regardless of how inept the previous season was. There is still talent here and they continue to make poor plays on field and on the sidelines. It's not like more time in the weight room, film room, or more reps is going to change that. It will change when they decide to change it. You don't need time for that, just focus. We aren't growing wheat here. Go play like a FBS team and don't be satisfied with not being the complete embarrassment of the past few years because their are no ribbons for not sucking.

This afternoon's effort aside this team has been watchable but they blew a shot at a bowl against USF so, go make up for it. Whether they make it to 6 or not isn't as important as putting in a respectable effort against good teams, but it's close. I wanted a shot at bowl eligibility before the last home game and I got it. Forgive the lack of a Mission Accomplished banner. The goal for every team, every season is to make a bowl game regardless of how bad you are. That's the only measure of a successful season. If they come up short, the season will no longer be a failure but it's hard to call 5-7 a success if you care at all about excellence.

Yes - understanding where they were and where they are means I don't care about excellence.

Troy Aikman was 1-15. Michael Jordan didn't win squat for years. Peyton Manning took forever to win a Super Bowl. No excellence there - it took more than 22 months.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yes - understanding where they were and where they are means I don't care about excellence.

Troy Aikman was 1-15. Michael Jordan didn't win squat for years. Peyton Manning took forever to win a Super Bowl. No excellence there - it took more than 22 months.

If we make the playoff in the next three years, your perspective makes sense. We are talking about a being a top 70 team and potential bid for the Boca Raton bowl. I don't even know what airport that is, FLL maybe?

It's like learning to make toast. Once you learn not to stick either your fingers or a fork into the toaster, you've met the bar. I don't care if the toast is burnt to hell.

The team stuck it's hand in the toaster at least three times last year, costing at least three wins which would have been a 5 win season. This year, by simply not crapping their pants they will likely end up a 5 wins. While technically, that's progress and an improvement, it's the kind you don't really want to crow about.

From my seat, with the exception of the return game, OL and LB, this might be one of the more talented teams we've had. Those are big holes to fill for sure and we won't challenge for a conf title until we do. That is where patience is required. You shouldn't have to wait three seasons to make a bowl game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From my seat, with the exception of the return game, OL and LB, this might be one of the more talented teams we've had. Those are big holes to fill for sure and we won't challenge for a conf title until we do. That is where patience is required. You shouldn't have to wait three seasons to make a bowl game.
On the lack of an OL:

It's kind of like having a piece of property in a swamp, plenty of very nice timber, the best roofing and exterior shingles as well as the best materials for plumbing, wiring and wall. In addition to this you have purchased very good fixtures and appliances as well as very attractive, quality furnishings but you don't have sufficient concrete or rebar for pilings to build the foundation on. Somehow the owner of the property believes that with what he does have he should have a house that is at least as good as an average one in the vicinity.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
On the lack of an OL:

It's kind of like having a piece of property in a swamp, plenty of very nice timber, the best roofing and exterior shingles as well as the best materials for plumbing, wiring and wall. In addition to this you have purchased very good fixtures and appliances as well as very attractive, quality furnishings but you don't have sufficient concrete or rebar for pilings to build the foundation on. Somehow the owner of the property believes that with what he does have he should have a house that is at least as good as an average one in the vicinity.

Which is why we aren't competing for the conference. We should at least be able to keep the rain off our heads. In any case, with 5 in the bank and 2 to go. the progress in undeniable, if you want to call it a successful season that's your prerogative. I can't call a non-bowl season a success. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't call a 6-6 season a success, but these aren't normal circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom