"Bowl game or not, this UConn football season has already been a success" - Kels Dayton, WTNH | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Bowl game or not, this UConn football season has already been a success" - Kels Dayton, WTNH

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous.

Diaco has this program ahead of schedule and people are arguing on the margins?

If they end up 5-7 it's a monumental step in the right direction. They have a pretty good chance of winning six. That would be incredible.

Reaction Score
No. No. No. No. No. If we lose the final three, it is a disaster. One more win is a minimum for claiming improvement, win two and there is some real positive momentum. Win three, "Diaco for President."
If uconn beats Tulane, you'll be the first poster to suggest he needs one more win to show improvement...

It's become glaringly obvious that there will always be some contingent of this fan base that puts the program under a magnifying glass looking for anything negative to comment on. They will NEVER be satisfied.

If this team won 10 games, you'd still have people complaining about something. Maybe it's a New England thing. It's the same thing with Patriot fans. They lose one game and all you hear is how bad the team is or how deficient the offense is, or how weak the defense is etc. it's gotten so bad, sometimes you get this even when the team wins, but not by a big enough margin.

Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous.

Diaco has this program ahead of schedule and people are arguing on the margins?

If they end up 5-7 it's a monumental step in the right direction. They have a pretty good chance of winning six. That would be incredible.
If we end up 5-7 Diaco is in Pasqualoniland. If 5-7 wasn't good enough for P. why is it good enough for D?

4-8 is terrible.
5-7 just means we haven't gone backwards like last year.
6-6 is a good step in the right direction. Something to build on.
7-5. He should get a parade,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we end up 5-7 Diaco is in Pasqualoniland. If 5-7 wasn't good enough for P. why is it good enough for D?

4-8 is terrible.

It's called 'context'.

Your lunacy doesn't even deserve a response - so I'm not going to waste any time beyond that.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

4-8 is terrible.

was there a section of your memory that was wiped out? a part that is missing 0-9 (really 3-9)? that is pasquiloniland. the bottom. 5-7 was a decline year, on the way there.

I think you are in lala land.

Reaction Score
was there a section of your memory that was wiped out? a part that is missing 0-9 (really 3-9)? that is pasquiloniland. the bottom. 5-7 was a decline year, on the way there.

I think you are in lala land.

At the same point in his UConn tenure P. was 5-7. In the words of Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can't make it up. God bless y'all you keep fighting the idiocy. Good luck.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Can't make it up. God bless y'all you keep fighting the idiocy. Good luck.

I have been trying to stay out of the muck... was slip, really...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have been trying to stay out of the muck... was slip, really...

I don't even want to speculate on what would create such a willful ignorance. The sky is pink! The sky is yellow!

Reaction Score

4-8 is terrible.
because Paul Pasqualoni started with a team that went to the Fiesta bowl and Bob started with a team that SUCKED

Reaction Score
To quote the late George C. Scott in the 1970 movie "Patton", "Americans like winners.....no one likes a looser"

That concept is most pointedly expressed when fans talk of any sports team on any level.

Looking at the "numbers only" its easy to miss success......and to criticize. I'm guilty!

Lets simplify the discussion by answering these questions without being sarcastic........

Is the W-L record disappointing?

Is Bob D. turning the program around?

Does the future look brighter than it has in a long time?

Are we looking forward to next season?

My answer is YES to all those questions. I am more positive going forward in 2016 than at any time since 2009.

Whatever the final record is, did the program make progress?

YES! And don't forget, no one, Bob D foremost, said it will be easy or quick. The program was in such disarray in many levels.

W-L be damned! Its just numbers......soon to be forgotten.

WE ARE MOVING FOWARD! Soon to be remembered.

Reaction Score
We are progressing as a team and individual talents are starting to be realized. I believe next year more than 2017, could be the real breakout year. I say that because the OL will be returning virtually intact and they are showing real signs of developing into a good/above average unit. I really like both Tackles and next year they're both seniors.

5-7, would have exceeded everone's reasonable expectations. These kids believe in this coach and that is huge.

Reaction Score
The one thing we can all agree upon is that this team is moving in the right direction and with all of the playmaking sophomores, we should be better next year and so on. GO HUSKIES! I am excited about UConn football again, haven't had this feeling in a long time. We win this weekend and we have something to play for, a bowl bid up for grabs against two ranked teams. Bring it on!

Reaction Score
Improvement? - definitely. We can watch UConn games again without a total sense of apathy, and the reassurance that the program is moving in the right direction. They've been competitive in every game except Cincy. That's a big step from last year's nightmare.

Success? - maybe, but let's let the final 3 games play out to make that judgement. Tulane is an absolute must win and Houston & Temple will be very very VERY tough. Bowl-eligibility is still on the table, and that says a lot.

Does it seem like we've lowered the bar as to what's considered a success now compared to pre-Fiesta bowl seasons? Probably, but it's the reality to where the program is at now.

UConn football is competent again, and is improving. Next year we should move up from competent to a good football team. Progress.

Reaction Score
UConn football is competent again, and is improving. Next year we should move up from competent to a good football team. Progress.

Perfect word: Progress.

Reaction Score
Perfect word: Progress.

Progress was the measure of Success that we all defined in the beginning of the year. I've seen a TON of progress.

- A QB that can make plays
-A ton of really talented Freshmen
-Sound Defense
-Great attitude
-Oh yea, we are beating teams we should beat, and losing to teams we should lose to, and looking frisky even when we lose(Mizzou, BYU, etc)

And the most important metric

- I drink a lot less on gameday. Well, I drink the same amount, but less of the drinking is while im sobbing.

By all measures, standing here at 4-5 with an outside shot at a bowl, this has been a wildly successful season

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The biggest thing to come out of this season is that Diaco proved there was a method to his madness. While last season angered me and doesn't absolve all of his blunders, it's clear now he had a huge task of not only repairing the on field talent, but the culture of the program.

I'd love to get the Tulane and have good showings with Houston and Temple, but Diaco has them headed back up.

Reaction Score
False. You can't post a losing record and call it a "success."

I'll agree wholeheartedly that it is an improvement and that we are getting there, but you don't measure success in losing seasons regardless of where the measuring stick was entering the year.

As for HCBD, for me winning this weekend is going to be a test for whether I think he's the guy or not. Tulane is an inferior team. You need to consistently beat inferior teams home or away to become a successful program. He's done that so far in year 2: Nova, Army, UCF all inferior. USF talent-wise is probably an equal (though he should have won the game), Mizzou, BYU, Cincy, Navy and ECU were better teams. So he's 3-0 in games he should win, 0-1 in toss ups and 1-4 in games against better programs.

You need to get in touch with reality!!!! These guys are playing with attitude and determination. The first thing Diaco had to do was change the culture. I think he is doing that!!!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
4-8 was expected.

5-7 would be an unquestioned success.

6-6 would be a gift from the football gods.

Reaction Score
At the same point in his UConn tenure P. was 5-7. In the words of Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are.
Even if Diaco went 4-8 this year, his win/loss ratio would utterly destroy your good/bad post ratio.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Two rock climbers are climbing a sheer rock face. Climber 1 is 1,000 feet above climber 2. Climber 1 loses his grip and begins hurling towards the ground, his death imminent. After 8 seconds of free fall, a bloodied, unconscious Climber 1 is at the exact same altitude as Climber 2...and freeze.

"Both climbers are in the exact same position you idiots, it doesn't matter which climber you are" - Pal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Two rock climbers are climbing a sheer rock face. Climber 1 is 1,000 feet above climber 2. Climber 1 loses his grip and begins hurling towards the ground, his death imminent. After 8 seconds of free fall, a bloodied, unconscious Climber 1 is at the exact same altitude as Climber 2...and freeze.

"Both climbers are in the exact same position you idiots, it doesn't matter which climber you are" - Pal.

And yet, neither climber has succeeded. One still has the opportunity to succeed. Win today and we are climber #2, lose and we are still stuff on a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom