Borges: Sanogo could see "limited minutes"; AJax calf issue; Diggins unlikely to see the floor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Sanogo could see "limited minutes"; AJax calf issue; Diggins unlikely to see the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Playing at a faster pace, changes coming to the rotation if players continue to underperform, more minutes for Samson Johnson

That's the optimistic read. The pessimistic read is: Hurley is letting opponents dictate pace (Providence slow, Marquette fast); changes are not coming to the rotation yet; no more minutes for Diggins.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s lying about the upperclassmen needing to perform
stroke beard pondering GIF by Captain Obvious

I agree.

Reaction Score
I just have fear that he will leave for PT
Who could blame him? He has played a total of 38 minutes against the Cupcakes, each of whom UConn beat by at least 24 points, and in some cases by over 50 points. If you can't find at least 10 mpg for Diggins in those blowouts, you aren't using your opportunities to develop your younger guys. Anyone who is being remotely objective has to see that.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s lying about the upperclassmen needing to perform, but I also didn’t get the sense that any big changes are coming tonight.
It really begs the question of when - how many duds are we allowing these guys to play through?

I think the most frustrating thing with the younger guys was the reluctance to even play them during the cupcake schedule. That was a prime opportunity to get them some in-game experience and it’s lost now.

Reaction Score
I’d be amazed if Diggins made more mistakes than Gaffney. But looks like we’ll never know.
It’s very hard to understand the logic in not at least trying him. It’s almost literally impossible for him to give us less than what Gaffney has the last few games.

I mean, I guess he could forget what basket he’s supposed to shoot at……

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
At the same time, he trashed his freshman, saying we'll lose by double digits if they play more. He could have gotten his point across a little more tactfully.
It wouldn't be DH if he was being tactful - he has a problem with speaking off the cuff and coaching to the moment

Reaction Score
Anyone else read the last sentence of that first paragraph; "But, the substitutions and minutes are probably the easiest part of my job.” to indicate that the reason substitutions are the easiest part of his job b/c they are predetermined, he doesn't do significant adjustments on the fly or in-game changes which is easy versus taking a more challenging & productive harder route.
Not saying there are no changes whatsoever, but seems like he closely follows a pre-game map - possibly to avoid over-reactions and we are left with decidedly under-reactions.
Yes.

Reaction Score
I've been very pro-Hurley, but these comments about freshmen have me pretty frustrated. Would Hurley have played Beverley and had freshman Shabazz glued to the pine in 2011? I guess we'll never know, but come on...

Reaction Score
I've been very pro-Hurley, but these comments about freshmen have me pretty frustrated. Would Hurley have played Beverley and had freshman Shabazz glued to the pine in 2011? I guess we'll never know, but come on...
No because he's played the freshmen who are ready every year. Bouknight played a ton of minutes 2 years ago, Sanogo and Jackson did last year, Hawkins is playing this year

Reaction Score
Who could blame him? He has played a total of 38 minutes against the Cupcakes, each of whom UConn beat by at least 24 points, and in some cases by over 50 points. If you can't find at least 10 mpg for Diggins in those blowouts, you aren't using your opportunities to develop your younger guys. Anyone who is being remotely objective has to see that.
I agree to a point but not to an automatic 10 minutes. Some minutes would be nice so you could point to things he did or didn't do in the game and discuss what he needs to work on and why, until you see improvement, his minutes will be limited.

We don't know what goes on in practice and the private discussions, coach to player, but it just seems something is not right here. If you, as the coach, were thrilled to sign RD, replete with praise for multiple aspects of his game and character, what kept you from playing him 5 to 10 minutes in the blowouts?

Take a look at Creighton's and Marquette's rosters, filled with freshmen who are playing some meaningful minutes. Did our staff overrate these recruits?

Reaction Score
Anyone else read the last sentence of that first paragraph; "But, the substitutions and minutes are probably the easiest part of my job.” to indicate that the reason substitutions are the easiest part of his job b/c they are predetermined, he doesn't do significant adjustments on the fly or in-game changes which is easy versus taking a more challenging & productive harder route.
Not saying there are no changes whatsoever, but seems like he closely follows a pre-game map - possibly to avoid over-reactions and we are left with decidedly under-reactions.
I’d say it’s not a secret that Hurley is a pretty game plan heavy coach. His scouting reports are excellent, especially defensively. Playing to tendencies, attacking certain matchups, allowing specific players to shoot while doubling posts etc etc. He’s feasted on certain matchups offensively as well, especially with Sanogo (see Auburn, Kessler matchup). Sometimes he gets a bit blindsided and the team doesn’t adjust quite as quickly as you’d like. Auburn press, PC switching screens are a few that come to mind hes even mentioned. When guys know their role and how he distributes minutes, it’s usually a good thing. Sometimes tho I’d wish he’d just yank a guy or work other players in more quickly. When it works, it’s helpful. When it doesn’t, we see older guys having long stretches of bad play.

Reaction Score
His freshmen position is pretty clear,

He plays the ones that are more ready (Hawkins, Bouknight, Sanogo, Akok) and ones that are especially needed (Gaffney after Gilbert struggles, Jackson after Bouk injury and Adams struggles).

If Polley and Gilbert continue to struggle, he will make moves. But he's going to stick with who he thinks are his best and most experienced players until they demonstrate conclusively to him that they're worse than a raw freshman. He's not as reactive as the Boneyard (which makes sense, he sees a bigger sample of their play), but he does make changes.

Reaction Score
No because he's played the freshmen who are ready every year. Bouknight played a ton of minutes 2 years ago, Sanogo and Jackson did last year, Hawkins is playing this year
True, but you could compare Hawkins this year to a freshman Lamb. Lamb averaged 27.8 minutes as a freshman. Was freshman Lamb better than Hawkins? My memory doesn't serve me well enough to remember for sure. But I would say they're comparable and Hawkins should be playing more. Hawkins is averaging 17.8, but that would probably be lower if not for injuries.

Similarly, Sanogo should have been playing more early last year, the St. John's game being the most egregious example.

This is honestly my only complaint with Hurley (besides his reliance on the weave on offense, which is less common this year), and I do think over time this will shift and he will learn that there are certain freshmen that he can rely on more.

Reaction Score
True, but you could compare Hawkins this year to a freshman Lamb. Lamb averaged 27.8 minutes as a freshman. Was freshman Lamb better than Hawkins? My memory doesn't serve me well enough to remember for sure. But I would say they're comparable and Hawkins should be playing more. Hawkins is averaging 17.8, but that would probably be lower if not for injuries.
Lamb shot better from 3, 2 and FT line than Hawkins has thus far. Shooting in the paint is the most biggest difference, Hawkins has been rather bad finishing, while Lamb was incredible for a freshman. Lamb also turned it over less and fouled less often per possession.

Reaction Score

Similarly, Sanogo should have been playing more early last year, the St. John's game being the most egregious example.

This is honestly my only complaint with Hurley (besides his reliance on the weave on offense, which is less common this year), and I do think over time this will shift and he will learn that there are certain freshmen that he can rely on more.
Yes lamb was better than Hawkins as a freshman

Reaction Score
AJax got 12 defensive rebounds vs. Providence. Nearly every time, he attempted to push the pace.

This team is trying to push the pace. Hurley wants us to push the pace.

Sometimes, you tip your hat to the other team if they hustle back and prevent you from getting a transition basket.

You haven't really been watching any of our games this year to be saying that "we aren't pushing the pace"

Reaction Score
I’d be amazed if Diggins made more mistakes than Gaffney. But looks like we’ll never know.
It's not just the mistakes Gaffney makes, it's also the (for lack of another word) hesitation he plays with. He either is passive or goes hell bent to the rim.

Not sure who/how Gaffney is best used, put him in for Cole, have him play with Cole, have him in with Polley, have him come in and hunt shots/drives like he is a mini Bouknight, etc. Need more out of 1st guard off bench.

There is something to be said for a little game experience (2 to 5 minutes) over the early course of freshman year for players to gain a "feel" for how to play at this level. Hurley's reluctance to play Diggins at all seems not the best course.

Reaction Score
True, but you could compare Hawkins this year to a freshman Lamb. Lamb averaged 27.8 minutes as a freshman.
Maybe compare rosters while you're at it? You'll find a big discrepancy in the upperclassmen of both programs in both quantity and quality (relative to the roster).

Reaction Score
Lamb shot better from 3, 2 and FT line than Hawkins has thus far. Shooting in the paint is the most biggest difference, Hawkins has been rather bad finishing, while Lamb was incredible for a freshman. Lamb also turned it over less and fouled less often per possession.
Lamb also didn't have 3 upperclassmen and a talented Sophomore to compete with for minutes....(Gaffney, Martin, Polley, Jackson).

He had to beat out Donnell Beverly, Niels Giffey (also a freshman), and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

And as you've implied, Lamb was just better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom