Borges: Sanogo could see "limited minutes"; AJax calf issue; Diggins unlikely to see the floor | The Boneyard

Borges: Sanogo could see "limited minutes"; AJax calf issue; Diggins unlikely to see the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sanogo participated almost fully in practice on Monday and could see “limited minutes” against Marquette.

Hurley added that sophomore forward Andre Jackson was limited in practice on Monday due to a calf issue, and Tyrese Martin took a fall on the left wrist that sidelined him for four games before his return on Saturday against Providence. Hurley said Martin will likely play with the same cast he wore on Saturday for most of, if not the entire season. The team hopes to make the cast more comfortable for him, “because it is a little bit cumbersome,” the coach noted.

The struggles of Polley, a graduate player, and junior Jalen Gaffney, among others, has led a good portion of UConn fandom to call for more playing time for freshmen like Samson Johnson and Rahsool Diggins.

Don’t expect to see much of those players — at least Diggins — on Tuesday night.

“Listen, we need our older guys to play better,” Hurley said. “Freshmen aren’t ready to play and make so many mistakes that you won’t lose a one-possession game, you’ll lose by double figures. Yeah, the older guys are struggling with shooting and defending at the level we want, but these are our guys that we need to come through for us. Obviously, if you continue to struggle, then you’ll see new players. But, the substitutions and minutes are probably the easiest part of my job.”

“You win with older players,” Hurley continued. “We love the young guys, we think those guys are gonna be really, really good players. I think this is a game that Samson has a chance to play in, because it’s gonna be more athletic, more up-and-down. It’s not gonna be a halfcourt, physical rock fight like these last couple of teams.”

I hope Hurley's prediction about the pace of the game is correct; it will be interesting to see if Shaka tries to slow it down instead after seeing how badly we struggle in half-court sets.

Reaction Score
Not what I hoped to read. If they are considering leaving the cast on all season then this may be an injury that will need further attention at the season's end, unless something happens in the meantime.
What is a 'calf issue'?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I hope Hurley's prediction about the pace of the game is correct; it will be interesting to see if Shaka tries to slow it down instead after seeing how badly we struggle in half-court sets.
Same here. I just hammered the under - 142.5.

Reaction Score
Love hearing every one of those comments from Hurley. Maybe it'll finally quiet some of the concerns from people on this board since they're getting their wish

Reaction Score
The reluctance to play Diggins who can handle the ball well is concerning. A few minutes here and there to help him acclimate and keep him engaged would really help down the line. Very disappointed in Hurley's "offense" and roster management. Scoring 53 at home against Providence should be a wakeup call, but I doubt anything will change. Hurley is who he is, and I don't see him changing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d be amazed if Diggins made more mistakes than Gaffney. But looks like we’ll never know.
We do know that Gaffney burns something like 10 seconds off of every possession in non-productive dribbling in place. A lot of our shooting woes are due to people checking up the ball as the shot clock is winding down. He’s not in significant portion of that is due to Gaffney burning clock and letting the defense settle into position because he’s not swinging the ball.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Playing at a faster pace, changes coming to the rotation if players continue to underperform, more minutes for Samson Johnson
The faster pace is Hurley’s wish, no?

I don’t read his other comments as suggesting that the rotation will be changing materially anytime soon, and certainly not tonight, except that Johnson may see some minutes if the pace allows.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I don’t read his other comments as suggesting that the rotation will be changing materially anytime soon, and certainly not tonight, except that Johnson may see some minutes if the pace allows.
He does hint that are upper classmen need to perform or they will be replaced. I’m not sure if that means they are actually on the clock, or if he is just play keeping the fan base.

Reaction Score

Have you and this entire board (including me) not been saying all season UConn needs to play at a faster pace because our best offense is in transition?

And he specifically says that if the upperclassmen don't start performing changes are coming. Maybe he's lying, but it's at least in the back of his mind

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have you and this entire board (including me) not been saying all season UConn needs to play at a faster pace because our best offense is in transition?

And he specifically says that if the upperclassmen don't start performing changes are coming. Maybe he's lying, but it's at least in the back of his mind
Yes as to the transition, because that’s supposed to be the strength of this team. Your comments made it sound fan-driven though, and seemed to ignore that Hurley is the one who put together this team with that premise. That’s what the fan expectations are based on.

I don’t think he’s lying about the upperclassmen needing to perform, but I also didn’t get the sense that any big changes are coming tonight.

Reaction Score
Yes as to the transition, because that’s supposed to be the strength of this team. Your comments made it sound fan-driven though, and seemed to ignore that Hurley is the one who put together this team with that premise. That’s what the fan expectations are based on.

I don’t think he’s lying about the upperclassmen needing to perform, but I also didn’t get the sense that any big changes are coming tonight.
Don't know what I said that made it seem fan driven, all I said was fans have been wishing for us to play faster and Hurley said he expects us to play faster tonight. So they're getting their wish, obviously I know Hurley is deciding the pace we play at and not the fans

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If he wants to run, then he has to focus on defensive rebounding. That means very little Polley at the 3 and none at the 4. Gaff is actually better in transition, he’s relatively fast and can score at the rim. It’s half court where he bogs down and dribbles left and right.

Let’s see what they do. Sanogo will help but isn’t a cure. The team has to want it. For all the talk of Diggins, it’s Johnson who I think should have played more. He’s a big target and rim protector.

Reaction Score
Now Hurley's a liar?
I don't think so, but about half of the board seems to think everything he says is a lie and he'll never actually put a freshman in the rotation

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

At the same time, he trashed his freshman, saying we'll lose by double digits if they play more. He could have gotten his point across a little more tactfully.

Reaction Score
Anyone else read the last sentence of that first paragraph; "But, the substitutions and minutes are probably the easiest part of my job.” to indicate that the reason substitutions are the easiest part of his job b/c they are predetermined, he doesn't do significant adjustments on the fly or in-game changes which is easy versus taking a more challenging & productive harder route.
Not saying there are no changes whatsoever, but seems like he closely follows a pre-game map - possibly to avoid over-reactions and we are left with decidedly under-reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom