Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated)

Reaction Score
Man, I hope Hawkins breaks out and plays like Hurley thinks he will. Besides becoming the scorer they need, the 2nd best thing is that it would shut up @HuskyWarrior611 so we don't have to read one more time about how Hawkins is not that good because he couldn't carve out more playing time last season. :)

Their focus isn’t really Jordan. It’s just another way to let everyone know how terrible they think Hurley is. Their approach is that every bad thing that happens is Hurley’s fault, every good thing that happens goes down in spite of Hurley. If Jordan plays great this season, the coach was dumb for not playing him last year. If he doesn’t play great, the coach is still dumb because he thought he’d be good this season. It’s an exhausting and useless way to be. Who wants to have a discussion with a person who doesn’t care about facts or nuance and who only wants there to be one conclusion at the end of the day, no matter how many sides of a position they have to argue to get there in the end?

Reaction Score
As for the scrimmage itself, they accomplished what they wanted to (got some extended runs in, played in front of people, had some fun), and no one got hurt! On the defensive end, they need Dre. Thankfully, all injury checkups and updates on him have been positive so far. Samson will start on Monday. He has really benefitted from his work over the summer and from the competition with Karaban.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For those that watched, how was Hawkins handle? Much improved over last year? Or about the same?

Still shaky. Most of his buckets were catch and shoot or quick pull ups.
Agree that most of his shots were catch and shoot or pull ups, but disagree that we saw enough to say that his handle is still shaky. He brought the ball up a few times and I noticed he was dribbling a lot closer to the floor and he was pretty fluid, between the legs, etc. I only noticed one errant dribble. I would have said "improved" but didn't see enough to say "much improved." I liked the confidence more than anything.

Reaction Score
As for the scrimmage itself, they accomplished what they wanted to (got some extended runs in, played in front of people, had some fun), and no one got hurt! On the defensive end, they need Dre. Thankfully, all injury checkups and updates on him have been positive so far. Samson will start on Monday. He has really benefitted from his work over the summer and from the competition with Karaban.
So seems like the last blue lineup is the starting lineup on Monday. Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Samson, Sanogo. With Jackson likely pushing Alleyne when he returns into a 6th man role.

Reaction Score
So seems like the last blue lineup is the starting lineup on Monday. Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Samson, Sanogo. With Jackson likely pushing Alleyne when he returns into a 6th man role.
That lineup

jonah hill midnight GIF

Reaction Score
The prospect of having Alleyne, Diarra, Karaban, Clingan, & Joey C as our first five off the bench has me a bit giddy

Maybe vs. Cupcakes. When the grind of the regular season starts, we ain't going ten deep. If all those guys are playing more than garbage minutes, some starter (probably 2) got hurt. Hurley's rotations are tighter than most historically, and most coaches are only playing 8, 9 tops.

Reaction Score
Add:
* plastic straws too small for the large cups. I was forced to use a paper straw!

* No roster sheet with players photos and numbers.

* Plenty of season ticket pricing sheets available.

* South garage went to a gateless, ticketless all mobile payment system. I couldn't make it work sand didn't pay...
They handed out rosters sheets.

Reaction Score
From these accounts, it appears that Roumoglou has passed Springs in the pecking order. A bit of a surprise to me.
Not sure if this is necessarily the case if you ranked them 1-13...I think it's probably more to do with the coaches seeing Springs as a pure 5 and wanting someone with more athleticism or perimeter skills at the 4 (Samson/AK, sometimes AJ). Seems clear that Springs is behind Clingan as the third string center...but if both those guys somehow get in foul trouble I'm pretty confident that Springs could handle 5-10 minutes.

Reaction Score
Maybe vs. Cupcakes. When the grind of the regular season starts, we ain't going ten deep. If all those guys are playing more than garbage minutes, some starter (probably 2) got hurt. Hurley's rotations are tighter than most historically, and most coaches are only playing 8, 9 tops.
My point is that, IMHO, they are all quite capable players of putting in as many quality minutes as needed based on the competition that we are facing that given night and also how our starters may be playing that night. Not advocating getting them all 15-20min per night.

We have high-quality depth to be used as needed. Lots of above-average tools in the toolbox, so to speak.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"Man, I've improved a lot," Johnson said. "Last year, I didn't know where to be at on defense. I just learned from all the guys and prepared myself for this year."

"I had to figure out," Johnson said. "I wasn't ready. This year, during the summer, I worked out a lot, watched a lot of film, lifted a lot of weights, and I'm ready."

Alternate free link:

Blue/White scrimmage takeaway: Samson Johnson has come a long way in a year

As somebody here suggested the other day. Karaban can be a 3 and Johnson will get some run as a 5.
Hurley suggested that Johnson and Karaban could see time on the floor together, particularly while 6-6 catalyst Andre Jackson Jr. remains sidelined by a broken pinky finger for at least another couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Was not there but based on the posts of those that were.. Sounds like SJ has taken a major leap from last yr.. Joey C is a sniper.. Alleyne-solid floor game and quiet leadership.. Tristen- adjusting his game to being a facilitator with the talent he's now surrounded by.. DC/AK legit contributors in their first year.. Big Three -We know what they can do and all have benefited from the off season with new wrinkles to their games. (AJ obviously has the injury now)

Can we play tough team D and control the boards in BE play? Sounds like we will have the ability to score points

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when u have 2, 5, or 16 guys who 'could' be the pg, u have zero pgs.
newt was brought here to do that job. give him da ball, and let him do it, unless over a long run, he shows that he can't.
let him run around with it, looking for the drive, looking for adama, looking for hawk, with those guys green lighted to jack when ready.
all the rest will have to figger out where they belong in the pecking order.

hopefully, management will be accurately directing those others on where to be.
in almost every successful venture, people need to know exactly what is expected of them in clear and concise terms. that way, if they don't deliver what is expected, there is no confusion on why they got bounced from that job.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I was in the house last night and my takeaway is that there is a ton of talent on this roster.

Also noteworthy that the last 10-minutes of the scrimmage included a lineup of Tristan Newton, Nehiem Alleyne, Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson and Adama Sanogo. Expect that to be the starting 5 on Monday.

Reaction Score
Amazing 15 min win Norman & Joyce, Hurley gives more insight with less coach speak than just about every other interview he gives. Nuggets we have debated here: Sanogo on court with Clingan will be tough, more likely are periods with Johnson, Karaban, and a center and 2 guards, will play Clingan on defense in more drop coverage to cover difficulty defending in space, expects Newton, Jackson, Diarra to be breakdown playmakers in last seconds of possessions but obvious that is a weakness. Expects Jackson >10 points, 7 rb, 4 asst, 2 blocks, and a steal or 2 per game. Focus on establishing deeper position with Adama to turn to the rim more than jump hooks. Karaban at Virginia was a cameo. Wayne Norman interjected that Karaban hit every shot from everywhere when he watched a preinjury practice.

Reaction Score
Amazing 15 min win Norman & Joyce, Hurley gives more insight with less coach speak than just about every other interview he gives. Nuggets we have debated here: Sanogo on court with Clingan will be tough, more likely are periods with Johnson, Karaban, and a center and 2 guards, will play Clingan on defense in more drop coverage to cover difficulty defending in space, expects Newton, Jackson, Diarra to be breakdown playmakers in last seconds of possessions but obvious that is a weakness. Expects Jackson >10 points, 7 rb, 4 asst, 2 blocks, and a steal or 2 per game. Focus on establishing deeper position with Adama to turn to the rim more than jump hooks. Karaban at Virginia was a cameo. Wayne Norman interjected that Karaban hit every shot from everywhere when he watched a preinjury practice.

If Jackson averages 10/7/4 with 2 steals and 2 blocks he might be one of the best players in America. Certainly one of the best defenders in America. I think he has it in him.

Reaction Score
Nobody thought his name was New-Town, the town in CT. but thanks for the heads up.
One poster had 3 posts in this thread with his name spelled Newtown, which is what I was responding to. So I guess there's somebody who thought that was his name. Although he did respond and said it was from autocorrect on his phone. Or is that not what you meant?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom