Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway?

Reaction Score
In summation.....

Game in Boston = money = firing Diaco = hiring Edsall = hiring Lashlee = winning football program = P5 invite

Thus, by transitive properties, Game in Boston = P5 invite...seems like a pretty good deal

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BC is rubbing its hands with glee. Another home game on their schedule. But I do understand the we are poor argument even if it adversely affects the season tix value proposition.
Its not entirely one sided, imo.
BC gets a 7th home game, more than likely another easy win. But Uconn gets some needed PR in the Hub of the Universe, and will leave town with one hellava single game payday. Plus, tickets should be affordable for everyone ( not like the ticket prices for the BC- ND game at Fenway ). The only downside is parking and tailgating for both fanbases. Fenway Park environs is not built for college football tailgating parties ( nor for football game sight lines for the field either be forwarned ). But both schools will come out of this with benefits, imo. its not as one sided for BC here as you'd like others to believe.

Reaction Score
You people realize BC has no fans right? What makes you think they're gonna come in droves if they don't even exist? This is awesome and adds more exposure and uniqueness we haven't had in forever

Reaction Score
Understand the post.
I said 35,000 or so. Would it be 32 or 33? It really doesn't matter. We had that for Virginia last year. Would the gain be an extra 350,000 instead of 300,000? You have to weigh that vs pissing off a portion of your fan base, some of whom say on here now that they will not purchase season tickets.
How does that work into your guarantee?
Fire yourself

You do have to weigh those...the guarantee vs X # of people being annoyed short term. Right now I'd take the guarantee six days a week and twice on Sunday. Here's the math as I see it (and assume Benedict does as well)
--This game being at Fenway impacts season tickets very little. We only have 16k season ticket holders...if we used people on the boneyard either buying or cancelling tix as a proxy for reality there would either be 160,000 or -50,000 season ticket holders each year.
--If they have a great (decent?) year , he assumes the fairweather CT fans (at least an offsetting #) will be back, after either forgetting about the game (if annoyed) or remembering the game (if they actually enjoyed Boston for a day)
--He will have achieved a short term gain and a long term win. We desperately need both.

It really makes me crazy that people don't understand how dire the financial straits are around here. The state is about to have a $1.5 billion dollar deficit, and the AAC/TV pays us pennies. We are almost the worst team in FBS. He's trying to get revenue and exposure....its like Thursday night games in the middle of the season...has to be done when you are in our situation.

Reaction Score
To compare, I believe our ticket revenue to be close to if not a million for a sold out rent.
So if this game would have drawn 35,000 or so, we are doing this for a whopping $300,000 or so windfall?
Doesn't exactly put a dent in the Diaco buyout.
Don't you have to subtract all the costs of the Rent to get to a net numbers. Also add in $$ school will raise with fan and alumni events in the Fens.

Reaction Score
This thread and negative attitude is getting old. Maybe we should look at it as whats best for the program and not us personally. I agree that I'd prefer a game at the Rent if I still lived in CT. But this draws attention, its different, heck maybe it'll pick up a curious fan or two. Try and look at ways it can benefit the team/program instead of how its bad for me. Look at all the big time schools that are playing neutral site games this year. Without even looking I know Atlanta will host a game between 2 teams not from GA. Wisconsin played a home game in Green Bay this past year. Awesomeness! Think LSU wasn't a big time game for them that fans wouldn't want in Madison? You can pick it apart and say how each situation is not like ours, but whats the use? This draws attention to the program, thats more important than fans having to travel a little farther to the game.

Yeah, looked it up. Bama vs FSU in Atlanta. Pretty decent ooc game for both. Those fan bases must be fuming!

Reaction Score
This flat out sucks...A decades long advocate of a home and home with with BC...Attended last years beat down to the end. I have absolutely no interest in any football game played on a baseball field.
As a season ticket holder and long time fan this was the game I saw as slightly packing The Dog House this year. Mixed signals here from both Randy and Dave, as they preach getting fans in the house is the mantra. Super sad we have no donors that could take care of the Diaco buy out.

Reaction Score
ND may have more fans in Boston than BCU does.
ND probably has more football fans in Connecticut at the moment than Uconn football has too. Uconn needs more football fans as much as BC does... maybe more so. This is a good deal for BOTH schools, imo. It sure beats BC playing Wagner at Alumni for BC fans, and Uconn playing Stony Brook at the Rent for Uconn fans. Look on the bright side for both schools here.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is a rough one for me. I want the game at The Rent (I will never type PAWS-ARF...except for now to explain that I'll never do it). I want it there for 2 reasons;

1) to punch them in their f%$king mouths at home.
2) to use the game to leverage more season ticket sales.

However, 1.125 million guaranteed is hard to turn down when considering our current crappy tv payout. Hard to turn that down...

Reaction Score
No, they don't.
No, they don't.
TV numbers don't lie. ND games had more viewership in Connecticut than Uconn football games did. But that said, my central point is that this arrangement for the game at Fenway Park is a good deal for both schools, imo... and both schools need more football fans than they are currently generating for themselves.

Reaction Score
You do have to weigh those...the guarantee vs X # of people being annoyed short term. Right now I'd take the guarantee six days a week and twice on Sunday. Here's the math as I see it (and assume Benedict does as well)
--This game being at Fenway impacts season tickets very little. We only have 16k season ticket holders...if we used people on the boneyard either buying or cancelling tix as a proxy for reality there would either be 160,000 or -50,000 season ticket holders each year.
--If they have a great (decent?) year , he assumes the fairweather CT fans (at least an offsetting #) will be back, after either forgetting about the game (if annoyed) or remembering the game (if they actually enjoyed Boston for a day)
--He will have achieved a short term gain and a long term win. We desperately need both.

It really makes me crazy that people don't understand how dire the financial straits are around here. The state is about to have a $1.5 billion dollar deficit, and the AAC/TV pays us pennies. We are almost the worst team in FBS. He's trying to get revenue and exposure....its like Thursday night games in the middle of the season...has to be done when you are in our situation.

I'm just trying to point out its not the financial windfall being portrayed.
When you break it down, if 500 less people buy the season tickets because of this it becomes neutral. Of course if those people buy some singles it swings back somewhat. Taking away the most attractive game doesn't help building that small 16,000 season ticket base.
Now if you want to say it is good for exposure and the brand, OK I will agree with that. I like the idea myself, but I can definitely see how the other side feels. And if it affects season ticket sales I am concerned as a fan of the program.
Hopefully we can just start winning again, everything falls together and those fairweather fans return no matter who we play or where.

Reaction Score
For perspective, BC just a few short years ago under the former BC AD, would not agree to play Uconn football ANYWHERE. For awhile there, it looked like BC and Uconn would not play football again for years.. if ever. Now, under the new BC AD, BC has worked out an arrangement to play Uconn, back to back. Now that the game is scheduled at legendary Fenway Park, some here don't like the SETTING now ? Good grief. Given Uconn football's current state of affairs, one would think Uconn would be happy to play BC in football again, no matter where the hell the game is played. I don't speak for other BC football fans, but if an arrangement could be made for BC and ND to play only against each other, and for 12 games each and every football season, with 8 games a season played in South Bend, and 4 games in Alumni.... sign me up. Even let ND get a better payday for the arrangements in all 12 games. I wouldn't care. Sign me up. I'd be on board. Seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's see all the details come out before we freak out.... what if in turn for putting the first and second games of the series in Fenway that we get the next two at the Rent?? I would sign up for going up to Fenway and hopefully winning there for all to see (after all, winning is what REALLY matters now that we have to regain our place in the FBS pecking order; although might be tougher considering our coaching staff will not have much tenure taking over for the previous staff's well lit dumpster fire) and then seeing two more wins at the Rent (wins are more likely in their second/third years of tenure than their first, I admit). Fingers crossed. Go (Huskies getting out of the dumpster fire) UConn!

C'mon man, are you new here? It's practically the mission statement of the Boneyard.... Freak out first! Ask questions and act rationally later!

Reaction Score
Don't you have to subtract all the costs of the Rent to get to a net numbers. Also add in $$ school will raise with fan and alumni events in the Fens.

What costs are you referring to?
I am assuming our costs are giving up parking and concessions revenue.
Is there more other than normal travel costs that we would have to Boston too?

Reaction Score
What costs are you referring to?
I am assuming our costs are giving up parking and concessions revenue.
Is there more other than normal travel costs that we would have to Boston too?

UConn pays a per game lease fee for use of the Rent and we don't get a cut of parking or concessions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
35k x $30 avg ticket is $1.05M in revenue minus whatever it costs UConn to lease the Rent plus incidentals. The School could net an additional $500,000 over a regular home game depending of the costs of each.

Reaction Score
35k x $30 avg ticket is $1.05M in revenue minus whatever it costs UConn to lease the Rent plus incidentals. The School could net an additional $500,000 over a regular home game depending of the costs of each.
So perhaps 15-20'percent of Fiascos buyout. I'd also venture a guess that part of it's also coming from HCRE taking a discount in this fiscal year. Incentives get paid nextbfiscal year and AD Dave just found a cool million by deferring payments to Randy. Starting to see how they cash flowed this departure

Reaction Score
35k x $30 avg ticket is $1.05M in revenue

what_year_is_it.jpg

Reaction Score
C'mon man, are you new here? It's practically the mission statement of the Boneyard.... Freak out first! Ask questions and act rationally later!
not new here at all -just (perhaps ignorantly) trying to show some people the glass can be half full. some people are immovable though. sigh.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You must disclaim this by noting the freak out is made very public, while the rational response is made in places we don't talk about at parties.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom