Blaudschun thinks Ollie will look at NBA this off-season | The Boneyard

Blaudschun thinks Ollie will look at NBA this off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Last two paragraphs.

Don’t be stunned if UConn basketball coach Kevin Ollie takes another long look at the NBA once the Huskie season ends. Ollie could very well wind up with the Lakers if they make a move and will be on more than a few lists when the inevitable coaching changes are made.

It would be nice if UConn has its new athletic director in place to make the decision about a replacement if Ollie does leave. Right now, the timetable looks like a mid-March decision/announcement although the situation remains fluid as UConn President Susan Herbst studies the list of candidates provided her by the Parker Executive Search firm.

This sounds speculative to me. But - Blauds got the official news of Manuel getting hired by Michigan first, so he probably has some source(s) somewhere in UConn's athletic department. Eek?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
ESPN moron Chris Broussard speculated today on the radio that someone like the Lakers or Knicks may hire Ollie because of his ties to Kevin Durant.

Blaudschun is also probably stumping for one of his connections to get the UConn AD job, I think he is connected to the Army AD Corrigan (whmo I hope has no shot).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to admit that pre-divorce I thought the odds of Coach Ollie leaving UConn were very, very low. Post divorce and post Warde leaving? I'm less confident.

Reaction Score
Here we go again but I'll take Ollie at his word when he said a few weeks back he'll be here for a long time. Of course 6-7 mil per would be hard to turn down. He ain't winning anything with the Knicks or Lakers anytime soon though

Reaction Score
I don't think a competent basketball mind would hire KO to run an NBA team (right now at least). I wish more GM's were competent.

I do imagine that KO is extremely excited to coach his elite recruiting class(es) and am not really worried about him going to the NBA. Yet. I won't be surprised if he is a successful NBA coach in 10 years but I think he has a lot to learn, and a lot more that he wants to complete.

Reaction Score
People have been saying kd to lakers is feasible , but he's likely not leaving okc until westbrooks deal is up (2017). I see kd signing a one year in okc then leaving to la in 2017. Ollie IMO wants more success at the college level and he is relatively young still, doesn't need to rush. But who knows lakers(most storied recent NBA franchise, hometown) with kd (hall of famer) is nothing to sneeze at

Reaction Score
Don't think Ollie goes to the NBA on the heels of his best recruiting class yet.
That's what I was thinking. The guy finally gets off recruiting and scholarship restrictions, has had time build up relationships with high school players, is bringing in our best class on paper in a decade, and is going to leave?

I guess I won't feel too bad if it happens since he will clearly want to be in the NBA much, much more than in college in that scenario.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

meant in the most respectful way possible

not mocking the OP, just the author
You're good - it'd have to be a heck of an emoji to be disrepsectful.

Maybe this is KO sort of setting the stage for whoever becomes the new AD.

Reaction Score
I don't think a competent basketball mind would hire KO to run an NBA team (right now at least). I wish more GM's were competent.

I do imagine that KO is extremely excited to coach his elite recruiting class(es) and am not really worried about him going to the NBA. Yet. I won't be surprised if he is a successful NBA coach in 10 years but I think he has a lot to learn, and a lot more that he wants to complete.

Eh, with all young inexperienced coaches it's a gamble . Who really knows how KO would fare at the pro level (more nuanced rotations and player personality managing), I will say there are a lot of coaches who can't coach in the NBA right now with jobs. Also lets not forget prestis first choice pre donovon was Ollie , and presti is as sharp as they come (sans harden and Rj being traded for pocket lint).

The jump from college coaching to the NBA has been widely publicized as near impossible , but it's different when that coach was just in a playoff locker room 6 years ago. Having said that it's clearly in kos best interest to win with his 2016+ 2017 classes while producing pros

Reaction Score
The notion that Kevin Ollie could bring Durant to LA is hilarious.
Kd loves la already spends his summers there. Lots of buzz without Ollie involved

Reaction Score
It's feasible. Take an NBA gig for $5-8M a year and if he flames out after 2-3 (and banking $10M), pick up a decent college gig near a city where his kids wind up.

Reaction Score
I don't see KO leaving with all of these highly-ranked recruits coming in. I think his UConn legacy really means something to him, and that he wants to be more accomplished before he leaves for the NBA and make sure the program is left in a good place. This article is pure speculation, but we will likely (and unfortunately) have to deal with these rumors every year.

Reaction Score
After we win number 5
KO can take the multi millions and run, will he ,I don't think so.
The bright lights don'tseem to do much for him. But if he does so be it.
His obligation like every man ,is to do what's best for his family.
He will always be that rare coach who followed a legend and succeeded.
We will always be indebted to him for that.
We were not suppose to survive JC ,especially with the NCAA attempt to kill us and Big East collapse,but somehow we managed, we will also survive KO,
Right now we need a great AD hire. That's the priority.
What you youngsters don't understand is since the forties UConn has been a great basketball school the head coaching job coveted. The one team the entire state supports. UConn is much more than any single coach. Why do you think we attracted JC in the first place, He saw a great opportunity in a state with zero competition.
We might even get someone Freescooter likes.
The candidates would be endless. That's why we need a great AD.

Reaction Score
I bet JC and KO had some discussions on this. JC has been around the block a few times at least. I'm sure he knew Ollie's potential and what any level of success at Uconn would do to his marketability. Last think JC wants is to have HIS guy bolt before the transition is complete and to see the program he build fall apart. I'm not suggesting that KO is staying for 20+ years, but I do think JC and Ollie have an understanding about commitment to the program and a certain timeframe in mind before Ollie leaves for greener pastures at the next level.

Any level of success that Ollie has at uconn is going to get his name mentioned for other jobs. Even JC flirted with South Carolina and the Lakers during his tenure.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Ollie understands that Jimmy went to bat for him and all UConn fans by making sure the program was set up for success. I can't imagine Ollie giving Jimmy the metaphorical middle finger by bailing after only a few years. He will likely be here long enough to groom a successor and then make the move if and when the time is right.

Reaction Score
Warde leaves and now we see all types of scenarios, rumors and unfounded assertions/opinions/predictions.

Can someone explain why was an opt out penalty clause was attached to Warde being AD Director, and who benefits from such clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom