Bill Simmons has a “full-on heat check” for Bouknight | The Boneyard

Bill Simmons has a “full-on heat check” for Bouknight

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be shocked if everyone who thought Simmons and Russillo were idiots 2 weeks ago because of the Kemba comment now think they’re soothsayers…and for the record, not a Simmons guy

Reaction Score
Bouk has such a high upside. Everyone is seeing it now. If he didn't get hurt this past season, everyone would have seen it 4 or 5 months ago. He was crushing it before he got hurt. Special talent.

Reaction Score
On today’s Bill Simmons podcast, 1hr34min in, Simmons, during a brief segment on the upcoming draftsays unprompted to Ryen Russillo that he’s all in with a full-on heat check for Bouknight.

I’m not surprised at all, his game should translate pretty well to the league. Anyone who watched his performance against Creighton saw it. He had the whole package that game, so impressive. He’s gotta get more consistent obviously and assert himself more at times but some guys just have a feel for the game and are wired to score, he has that. Can’t teach that really.

Reaction Score
I’ve listened to his pod for past 4 years or so. I think him and Ryen Russilo are fantastic breaking hoop down. Simmons gets a little fan happy with the Celtics, and I feel his way of throwing Kemba to the side a little ridiculous (I heard him one time refer to Kemba as a backup PG - and I get it - even us boneyarders get on our own guys pretty hard sometimes - it’s because we expect more out of our own players we root so hard for - but get out of here with being a backup). The team chemistry on the court hasn’t been there in recent years - I think it has much to do about Stevens and even Tatum (dude is awesome but only plays hard when he wants to). However I dig his pod - I think his best quality as a podcaster is that he is one hundred percent a die hard hoops fan and loves the game.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Bouknight with NBA space is going to be scary good. GMs have been mum but they know what the deal is. I’d be surprised if he makes it past 7.

Reaction Score
I’ve listened to his pod for past 4 years or so. I think him and Ryen Russilo are fantastic breaking hoop down. Simmons gets a little fan happy with the Celtics, and I feel his way of throwing Kemba to the side a little ridiculous (I heard him one time refer to Kemba as a backup PG - and I get it - even us boneyarders get on our own guys pretty hard sometimes - it’s because we expect more out of our own players we root so hard for - but get out of here with being a backup). The team chemistry on the court hasn’t been there in recent years - I think it has much to do about Stevens and even Tatum (dude is awesome but only plays hard when he wants to). However I dig his pod - I think his best quality as a podcaster is that he is one hundred percent a die hard hoops fan and loves the game.
Not a Celtics fan, but definitely echo this. He certainly is a hoops junkie, and is so passionate about sports.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He also said Lamelo would be a big bust and was super off there. Good to see him showing love to Bouknight though. Great to see him getting so much well deserved buzz before the draft.

Reaction Score
It’s funny, because Kemba’s first year with the Celtics (when he was the ASG starter), going into the playoffs he raved about the Kemba Walker experience for the season. Of course we then find out his was playing on a bum knee and still averaging 20 in the bubble - if healthy they prob make the NBA finals.

I mean his whole schtick is speaking like the common fan so I get (though I’m not happy about) the whole turning 180 on Kemba this due to his injury history, but when he finally got healthy and in rhythm at the end of this last year he was somewhere 4th in the NBA in scoring over a period of 15-18 games. Then of course he picked up another injury and prior to that played poorly for a few of the playoff games.

Regardless, I’ve been a listener for a over a decade from ESPN to Grantland to The Ringer and Simmoms’ podcast is near the top if not the top downloaded sports podcast in the world. Him dropping Bouknight’s name is huge for increasing awareness for most of the folks who don’t know much about him. Still think he ends up going top 8.

Reaction Score
he probably watched one highlight video. doubt he knows much of anything about his actual game.

i would take anything from him with a grain of salt.
But you gotta admit, Bouk's got a great highlight video.

In reality, he just sees that Bouk has the upside of being elite at the most valuable role in the NBA, on ball pick and roll shot creator. He's got a combo of NBA-caliber functional athleticism AND skill. Jalen Green is probably the only other guy in the draft with that upside, IMO, and Bill is in tune with the relative value of NBA roles since he spends his entire life thinking about the NBA.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Echo the sentiments about Bill (And Russillo) being passionate, and that's really appealing for those of us who feel like we care more than the blowhards on ESPN or FS1. Especially Ryen, if you listen to his pod consistently, you know he does his homework.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m not surprised at all, his game should translate pretty well to the league. Anyone who watched his performance against Creighton saw it. He had the whole package that game, so impressive. He’s gotta get more consistent obviously and assert himself more at times but some guys just have a feel for the game and are wired to score, he has that. Can’t teach that really.
I actually thought the first half against Nova was the best example that he was not in the same conversation as anyone in the league as far as ability

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Echo the sentiments about Bill (And Russillo) being passionate, and that's really appealing for those of us who feel like we care more than the blowhards on ESPN or FS1. Especially Ryen, if you listen to his pod consistently, you know he does his homework.
People are still asleep on the NBA boards, they think he’ll be available post lotto. They don’t understand the dynamics of why he only shot 30% from 3.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People are still asleep on the NBA boards, they think he’ll be available post lotto. They don’t understand the dynamics of why he only shot 30% from 3.
Anyone paying attention at this point should know better.

Reaction Score
I've never questioned Bouk's talent, but I think he's got a lot to learn about playing the game with passion and a killer instinct. Sometimes he just looked indifferent out there. I hope he finds the edge that all great players seem to have to take their games to another level. I'll be rooting for him.

Poe

Reaction Score
Bouk is a more athletic version of Jeremy Lamb, with a higher ceiling and more of a killer instinct. Jeremy was the 12th pick and has had a decent career averaging 10.4/3.7/1.6 in 21 min.

A GM would be crazy to let Bouk slip past 8. He’s going to have a great career.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never questioned Bouk's talent, but I think he's got a lot to learn about playing the game with passion and a killer instinct.
That never hurt Rudy Gay. But Bouk cares a lot more than Rudy.

Reaction Score
I've never questioned Bouk's talent, but I think he's got a lot to learn about playing the game with passion and a killer instinct. Sometimes he just looked indifferent out there. I hope he finds the edge that all great players seem to have to take their games to another level. I'll be rooting for him.
I totally disagree except about the talent part

Reaction Score
That never hurt Rudy Gay. But Bouk cares a lot more than Rudy.
Rudy was projected as the #1 pick prior to his sophomore season, and in part because he never showed that "killer instinct," ultimately dropped to the 8 pick. It absolutely hurt him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rudy was projected as the #1 pick prior to his sophomore season, and in part because he never showed that "killer instinct," ultimately dropped to the 8 pick. It absolutely hurt him.
How many contracts has he signed since? For how much? We all should be so "hurt".

Reaction Score
How many contracts has he signed since? For how much? We all should be so "hurt".
If your measure of success is "better than you, the dumbest person on this message board," then every NBA player is a phenomenal success. If the question is "did Rudy's perceived lack of effort hurt him on draft night," you know, the thing we're actually talking about, then yes, it very obviously hurt him.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If your measure of success is "better than you, the dumbest person on this message board," then every NBA player is a phenomenal success. If the question is "did Rudy's perceived lack of effort hurt him on draft night," you know, the thing we're actually talking about, then yes, it very obviously hurt him.
Also throughout his career when people thought he might become a star but never really turned that corner.

Hottest of takes saying it didn’t hurt him at all, when it’s the main knock on him his entire career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom