-----------NCAA tournament cut-off line-----------
7. Providence 9-11
8. Seton Hall 8-12
-----------NIT cut-off line-----------
9. Butler 7-13
10. Georgetown 5-15
11. DePaul 3-17

Reaction Score
I can't see Xavier finishing 2 games ahead of Providence. Providence might have 3 of the best 20 players in the conference. Xavier likely has 0. I don't buy the McKnight hype. Olivari is fine. People think 1 will be Boum, but Boum was so much better analytically in the previous conference. People are penciling Claude in for a breakout... by the numbers he wasn't very good last season, though I'm a little more confident in his defense. He doesn't have to improve in one area, he was subpar scoring from all 3 levels. There were minutes on the wing available for Xavier last season and Kam Craft pseudo-redshirted.

Yeah there's a coaching disparity, but that's already penciled into Providence not being a top 25 team when that's their talent level. Like Corey Floyd might be better than Cluade this year and he's probably Providence's 5th or 6th best player.

Reaction Score
I can't see Xavier finishing 2 games ahead of Providence. Providence might have 3 of the best 20 players in the conference. Xavier likely has 0. I don't buy the McKnight hype. Olivari is fine. People think 1 will be Boum, but Boum was so much better analytically in the previous conference. People are penciling Claude in for a breakout... by the numbers he wasn't very good last season, though I'm a little more confident in his defense. He doesn't have to improve in one area, he was subpar scoring from all 3 levels. There were minutes on the wing available for Xavier last season and Kam Craft pseudo-redshirted.

Yeah there's a coaching disparity, but that's already penciled into Providence not being a top 25 team when that's their talent level. Like Corey Floyd might be better than Cluade this year and he's probably Providence's 5th or 6th best player.
You're sleeping on Claude.

Reaction Score
You're sleeping on Claude.
I know you're high on him. 57% from the FT line, 29% form 3, 47% from 2. 25% TO rate (double his assist rate). Those are all bad. He'll definitely get better, but if even 2 of those stay bad despite improvements elsewhere it'll tank his efficiency. The sample sizes aren't that small, since he played half their minutes last season. Though he didn't get a ton of shots with their other options, that should mean his efficiency should be higher since he was just taking the best and most open shots, yet it was alarmingly bad. He was analytically the 2nd worst offensive player in the Big East last season.

Reaction Score
I know you're high on him. 57% from the FT line, 29% form 3, 47% from 2. 25% TO rate (double his assist rate). Those are all bad. He'll definitely get better, but if even 2 of those stay bad despite improvements elsewhere it'll tank his efficiency. The sample sizes aren't that small, since he played half their minutes last season. Though he didn't get a ton of shots with their other options, that should mean his efficiency should be higher since he was just taking the best and most open shots, yet it was alarmingly bad. He was analytically the 2nd worst offensive player in the Big East last season.
Sometimes you just have to watch the player more than looking at their stats. Hawkins stats were pretty horrible (minus ft%) as a freshman but the coaches and fans knew what was in there from watching him.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you just have to watch the player more than looking at their stats. Hawkins stats were pretty horrible (minus ft%) as a freshman but the coaches and fans knew what was in there from watching him.
It's not like I didn't watch Xavier last season. He was mostly invisible. He had 7 turnovers to 4 made shots (on 11 attempts) in the 3 NCAA tournament games.

There's a good chance he gets to the line a bunch this year, he's a very physically imposing player for his age. But if he only makes 65% or whatever at the line (an improvement from last year), then...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I like trashing Providence as much as anyone, but anyone who thinks Xavier (with their devastating injuries) is finishing ahead of Providence is insane, but then again I raised money for charity last year on BY bets saying Providence would finish in top 5 (they did, and I was right)...... I get why we have a thing with Providence and I love it. I want to beat them more than any team in BigEast, but to not see their talent is people who just dont pay attention to college hoops. English is the wild card. I think he's going to end up being a helluva coach in the end (dude is what? 33 years old? might take a bit) , so this could be rough for inaugural season for PC, but if English can coach a lick this year, Providence with their roster is top 5-6 this year. Id have them higher if it wasn't for the new coach tradition. They have players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Outside of Hopkins and Carter, who’s the 3rd top 20 player they have? Not questioning you, I just haven’t followed PC too closely and don’t recognize off the top of my head any of their other new players.

Personally from the two games against UConn I saw, I do think both Hopkins and Carter are a bit overrated. They both drew fouls at an insane rate last year, but nothing really stood out to me why they did. It was just them driving to the basket, looking for contact, and getting bailed out by refs. I also don’t really like shorter guys, so maybe I’m just blinded by bias.

Reaction Score
Outside of Hopkins and Carter, who’s the 3rd top 20 player they have? Not questioning you, I just haven’t followed PC too closely and don’t recognize off the top of my head any of their other new players.
They kinda have 2 options. Josh Oduro is a 2x 1st team All-A10. But he's probably not quite that good, especially at 6'9" moving up conferences. He's probably closer to the Olivari/McKnight level. The other guy is Garwey Dual, 6'5" 2 way guard who is their top 50 freshmen that many people are even more high on than that. Sam Vecenie has him as a 1 and done and actually ahead of Castle in his last mock (#10 and #11). He has a chance to be really good as a freshmen, although it's possible his potential will outstrip his production early on.

Personally from the two games against UConn I saw, I do think both Hopkins and Carter are a bit overrated. They both drew fouls at an insane rate last year, but nothing really stood out to me why they did. It was just them driving to the basket, looking for contact, and getting bailed out by refs. I also don’t really like shorter guys, so maybe I’m just blinded by bias.

Don't forget, they're going to be another year older now. Hopkins supposedly is in better shape. I expect Carter will have added to his offensive skillset. His 3pt shot will definitely be a swing skill.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
They kinda have 2 options. Josh Oduro is a 2x 1st team All-A10. But he's probably not quite that good, especially at 6'9" moving up conferences. He's probably closer to the Olivari/McKnight level. The other guy is Garwey Dual, 6'5" 2 way guard who is their top 50 freshmen that many people are even more high on than that. Sam Vecenie has him as a 1 and done and actually ahead of Castle in his last mock (#10 and #11). He has a chance to be really good as a freshmen, although it's possible his potential will outstrip his production early on.

Thanks Auror, you saved me some typing . Both Spot on. Oduro will be a load in the BigEast. Despite his A10 roots I think he is an upgrade from Croswell. (who PC loved as a player) . Dual is a guard we would love even on our squad. PC's question mark is at guard and that can go either way, considered the replacement age (see :purdue last year) but they were a formidable team last year and Bynum and Breed were headcases. I cant help but think they upgraded in a huge way. Especially with Dual.

Hopkins is a major talent and Carter is a big time competitor.

Reaction Score
I like trashing Providence as much as anyone, but anyone who thinks Xavier (with their devastating injuries) is finishing ahead of Providence is insane, but then again I raised money for charity last year on BY bets saying Providence would finish in top 5 (they did, and I was right)...... I get why we have a thing with Providence and I love it. I want to beat them more than any team in BigEast, but to not see their talent is people who just dont pay attention to college hoops. English is the wild card. I think he's going to end up being a helluva coach in the end (dude is what? 33 years old? might take a bit) , so this could be rough for inaugural season for PC, but if English can coach a lick this year, Providence with their roster is top 5-6 this year. Id have them higher if it wasn't for the new coach tradition. They have players.
Considering you said you were legitimately worried about UConn making the tournament last year when it was almost February I would slow down on tooting your own horn when it comes to college hoops takes because sheeesh you had some doozys last year.

With that being said, PC may have a better roster than Xavier, but I will take Miller over English by a large margin and be enough difference to have Xavier win more BE games then PC.

Reaction Score
Considering you said you were legitimately worried about UConn making the tournament last year when it was almost February I would slow down on tooting your own horn when it comes to college hoops takes because sheeesh you had some doozys last year.

With that being said, PC may have a better roster than Xavier, but I will take Miller over English by a large margin and be enough difference to have Xavier win more BE games then PC.
I feel like in long run I and many others were right about PC. They overachieved for much of last season. And ended up exactly the team many of us thought they were. An 11 seed.

Reaction Score
I too believe more in Providences roster than Xavier’s but I also saw at least two or three seasons in the Pac12 where you thought Archie’s teams were down and they would fight and scrap to the top of the conference. I don’t quite give Miller the benefit of the doubt like Self, Painter or Bennett but he’s on the next tier.

Reaction Score
I feel that Cooley will get more out of his roster and win more than 5 games for GTown.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of Shizzle's predictions. However, without Freemantle and Hunter, I'd move Xavier down a notch or two. Miller is an excellent coach, but those guards will have to be special for Xavier to make the tournament.

PC could be a tournament team, but I withhold judgment until we see young Kim English coach in the Big East. And can Jayden Pierre adequately replacement Jared Bynum?

The season can't arrive soon enough.

August_West

Reaction Score
I agree with most of Shizzle's predictions. However, without Freemantle and Hunter, I'd move Xavier down a notch or two. Miller is an excellent coach, but those guards will have to be special for Xavier to make the tournament.

PC could be a tournament team, but I withhold judgment until we see young Kim English coach in the Big East. And can Jayden Pierre adequately replacement Jared Bynum?

The season can't arrive soon enough.
Dual is the real deal

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Finishing third in the regular season is only ok if we win the BE tournament. Let’s be realistic repeating is a dream, but expecting a regular season championship or BE tourney championship with a deep run in ncaa’s would keep the program on the same trajectory or better if Flagg chooses us.

Reaction Score
Xavier lost to Notre Dame by 7 in their secret scrimmage. Notre Dame was picked last (15th) in the ACC. Seemed like a realish game, there was a guy essentially radio-ing it on Spaces. Claude was good though (other than turnovers)! Notre Dame did have like the 250th D last season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A lot of his struggles were shooting the ball (as your numbers on him indicated).

He was, however, in the top quartile in the country in finishing at the rim. He is going to have to drastically improve the efficiency on his jump shot, but if he does, he could be a real weapon because of his ability to attack the hoop.

FWIW, his PPP driving to the hoop were better than anyone on UConn last year (Newton was the highest with 0.96 PPP on drives to the right towards the basket).

Source: ShotQuality
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 11.59.43 AM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom