BiG CR articles | Page 11 | The Boneyard

BiG CR articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Providence is the same size and is much, much nicer following a major transformation over the last 20 years.

What was I thinking, you are right. It sucks here, I'll let the guy down the street know he is in an dead end job and lives in a dying area. Hopefully he can re-sell that 2.6m home he just bought and find someone who can rough it on his 500k Wall Street salary. Lets hope he lands down south or worse case providence.

Reaction Score
What was I thinking, you are right. It sucks here, I'll let the guy down the street know he is in an dead end job and lives in a dying area. Hopefully he can re-sell that 2.6m home he just bought and find someone who can rough it on his 500k Wall Street salary. Lets hope he lands down south or worse case providence.

I said none of those things, but go ahead and believe what you want.

Reaction Score
Providence is the same size and is much, much nicer following a major transformation over the last 20 years.

I can't agree and I've lived in Providence. There's just a lot more nightlife in Buffalo. Better continental and American restaurants. Providence has better ethnic restaurants. Buffalo is a prettier city.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maryland was the Big Ten's opening bid...the hope, I think was, that the ACC would crumble and that the B1G could pick up some pieces like perhaps Virgina, UNC, or even GT,

And I believe that the B1G over bid that hand when they could not tease out the hand when the ACC stood firm.
Only part of the equation. Getting Maryland and Rutgers significantly reduced the ACC's hold on the northeast. I'm not sure they expected to pry away Virginia or UNC away from the ACC. That was internet and sports network speculation. Just rumors that became gospel.

Reaction Score
I can't agree and I've lived in Providence. There's just a lot more nightlife in Buffalo. Better continental and American restaurants. Providence has better ethnic restaurants. Buffalo is a prettier city.

My response was to a statement about Hartford. Providence is same size as Hartford, but nicer.

Reaction Score
CBS to show AAC football and basketball under agreement with ESPN.....

CBS SPORTS NETWORK REACHES MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT WITH ESPN TO TELECAST AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL GAMES
CBS Sports Network to Feature American Athletic Conference Basketball Beginning with 2013-14 Season
Defending NCAA Men’s Champion Louisville and Women’s Champion UConn Prominently Featured on CBS Sports Network this Season
CBS Sports Network has acquired the rights to telecast college football and basketball games from the American Athletic Conference through a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN. The multi-year agreement begins with the 2013-14 college basketball season and continues through 2019-20.
The deal provides for 30 men’s basketball games per year, except for the first year, which calls for 25 games. CBS Sports Network also will telecast a minimum of 13, and maximum of 15 football games beginning with the 2014 season.

Reaction Score
I never understood why Buffalo got such a bad rep?I know they get very snowy winters but so does Toronto and Montreal and no one feels the need to denigrate those cities.I'm just a regular bluecollar guy and I loved SanDiego and LA but after a year or so of no rain I missed the Northeast and the NYC/NJ area I thought I was anxious to leave!I have cousins who moved from PEI and CapeBreton Island to Toronto and Calgary/Vancouver and all have there own charm so I've had reason to go through Buffalo on my way to visit my cousins and was shocked at how nice Buffalo was and some of the older Victorian homes charm and beauty after hearing "how crummy Buffalo was" supposed to be?I think most haven't been there who associate it with a Detroit or Newark,NJ(which has some decent/friendly neighborhoods) which is far from the truth!Now I don't know Buffalo well but its nowhere near as bad as people think!Some people love Fla but outside of the Keys I can't stand the constant hot humid air all year that you find in most of Fla!!

Reaction Score
I never understood why Buffalo got such a bad rep?I know they get very snowy winters but so does Toronto and Montreal and no one feels the need to denigrate those cities.I'm just a regular bluecollar guy and I loved SanDiego and LA but after a year or so of no rain I missed the Northeast and the NYC/NJ area I thought I was anxious to leave!I have cousins who moved from PEI and CapeBreton Island to Toronto and Calgary/Vancouver and all have there own charm so I've had reason to go through Buffalo on my way to visit my cousins and was shocked at how nice Buffalo was and some of the older Victorian homes charm and beauty after hearing "how crummy Buffalo was" supposed to be?I think most haven't been there who associate it with a Detroit or Newark,NJ(which has some decent/friendly neighborhoods) which is far from the truth!Now I don't know Buffalo well but its nowhere near as bad as people think!Some people love Fla but outside of the Keys I can't stand the constant hot humid air all year that you find in most of Fla!!

Buffalo's bad rap comes from the poverty and the fact that all the big businesses moved out. The snow here is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be for one reason: Lake Effect. People don't understand it until they've seen it. This is what it looks like:
buffalo2.jpg

You have bands of snow dumping feet on the southtowns, while in the city it's sunny and we don't get a bit of it. You see big differences in a single neighborhood. The city's harbor is at the mouth of Lake Erie (so it gets hit by the north strand of Lake Effect) while the rest of the city is buffered because it sits on the Niagara River and so we're not subject to lake fronts stalling once they hit the coast. Most of the precipitation will have already dissipated over western Ontario long before it hits Buffalo.

Buffalo is coming up as a lot of money has been poured into a high-tech district as well as the entertainment district by the harbor. But the history of the city is of big money moving in when the hydroelectric plant went up in the mid 19th century and then that big money moved out one hundred years later. The combo of cheap electric plus the Erie canal for quick distribution created a rich, beautiful city designed by Olmsted in a park system he would later use in NYC. Buffalo came first in design. Almost all the homes are beautiful old Victorians or else Arts & Crafts. The big industries were natural resources, agriculture refinement (we still have cereal makers like General Mills and you can smell Cheerios baking in the air every other day) and manufacturing (for example, the Larkin Co. or the world's biggest windshield wiper maker Trico, out of business now for two decades). Trico left behind $500m for an arts foundation that distributes $30m each year to the city's arts scene. It's very vibrant. When the St. Lawrence Seaway opened, businesses started leaving. Buffalo tried to lure them back with cheap power credits, but the history has been a gradual diminishing of good paying jobs. It's a Rust Belt city through and through. It's lost half its population. What remains is philanthropic foundations with hundreds of millions of dollar endowments, beautiful old homes and parks, and a lot of poor out of work people. That's how it gets its rep. The politicians around here are bad, and that's saying something for someone who grew up in New Haven and has lived in Providence and Albany/Troy. I've lived in 4 political machine towns. Buffalo still has one going.

The city is beautiful, has a lot of good restaurants, the weather is bad in winter because it's very cold here, but there's not much snow, and summer and fall has great sunny weather. In fact, Buffalo is the sunniest city in northeast America. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate the city about a 7. The city calls itself the City of Good Neighbors, but other than the ones right next to me, I've found people to be generally unhelpful and quick to scam a buck. If you didn't go to high school with someone, you're an outsider. It's a really tribal town. I wouldn't recommend moving here unless you love old homes, like cheaper living expenses, no traffic, and are a private person who doesn't need a lot of friends. I lived only 2 years in Ann Arbor and made 10x the close friends I've made in Buffalo in 8 years. Odd but beautiful place.

And if you've read this far, good luck to you.

Reaction Score
I never understood why Buffalo got such a bad rep?I know they get very snowy winters

Very snowy is an understatement. I live in New England and the amount of snow which can fall in a short time is awesome.

Reaction Score

You are off; Toronto gets almost no snow each year. They average below 20" per year. Montreal, on the other hand, is the snowiest city in NA with more than 1 million population. Buffalo has its years solely depending on lake effect. This usually occurs in Nov and Dec as the lake is still warm, the air cold and winds to the southeast. Usually the city is spared but it can get hit hard if the winds are to the east. Toronto is north of lake Ontario so it gets nothing. I lived there for many years.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It's the schools that get the money, not the CIC. The CIC is a pretty limited entity, but that $10m is nothing to sneeze at. Schools partner to bring in $750k per school, and that's real money, especially when the fungible budgets are in the range of $100m to $200m. But no school is going to lose $100m from its athletic budget so that it can make $750k in research more per year.

It's more than that, as far as money is concerned. The schools collaborate on research projects and certain professors and research departments at one school will lend their names with other schools for the acquisition of grant money. The big names all help in those grant dollars. A poster on the Michigan blog MGoBlog (about Johns Hopkins joining the Big 10 for Lacrosse) puts it better than I can:

As for admin dealings, check out the CiC. It contains every B1G member and UChicago, as they used to be a member prior to cutting all their sports. The CiC is amazingly stable and amazingly good at getting grants. A lot of schools would kill to get a seat at that table (word is Notre Dame's faculty foamed at the mouth when ND turned down a spot in the Big Ten). The CiC ensures the research efforts of the B1G are coordinated. When one CiC school goes after a big grant, the others help them out. That can range from getting big name profs at various schools to combined their star power together on one grant to lobbying the Congressional reps in the home states of the various schools to help the schools get the grant (Senators calling up the CDC and encouraging them to strongly consider Michigan's application for money, that sort of thing). This is a big business and athletics is nothing compared to it. As I mentioned, Michigan's hospital system normally has billions in active grants, compared to the 60 to 80 million that athletics makes every year. At one point I worked for a research lab that had 20 people and 70 million in active grants. The two profs who ran the lab had a better revenue stream than Brandon thanks to the NIH and CDC throwing money at us like we were the only hot stripper at the club.
You can also use these kind of ties to develop areas you don't have. Say for example some random B1G school wants to build a kick ass cancer center. They start some joint projects with Michigan, where Michigan's name is used to get the grant, but it gets the other school some funds to buy supplies, hire faculty/postdocs/, and so on and so forth. Michigan of course also gets a cut of the pie. Eventually the other school is strong enough to stand on its own. Normally this is also coordinated to supplment current CiC programs as opposed to competing.
If JH also affilates with the CiC at some level, which doesn't seem unreasonable since it offers perks ranging from library sharing to grant cooperation, that is a huge win for us. It is also while I'm strong against Maryland and Rutgers joining. While they bring NJ and Maryland Congressional reps into play for lobbying, they're a net drag everywhere else and a fiscal burden on both the sports and CiC sides. The academics welcomed Nebraska because they had a solid library (meaning they won't always be asking for our books via interlibrary loan) and a strong rep with various federal agencies that give out grants for things like farming, national park management, etc. Rutgers and Maryland just suck in terms of having a massive of research grants. Moving in JH as a partner instead of a competitor for NIH and CDC grants is a nice win.
Again, this is a random poster on an athletics blog, but it's pretty accurate from what my knowledge is. Having research giants Chicago, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, and potentially Johns Hopkins (they have joined the Big 10 for Lacrosse, but haven't decided if they are joining the CiC yet) in your corner when applying for grant money goes a very long ways in earning those grants. I understand that The ACC and The SEC are setting something similar up, but it will take a very long time to get on equal footing, if they do at all.
This is why AAU membership is important to the Big 10. If an appropriations committee sees a grant application with an AAU school on it, they don't have to research as deep whether the monies are going to a well run lab or not. The AAU designation helps in that regard (as does the Carnegie designation UConn holds). It all boils down to the CiC. I have stated this before, but the Big 10 is a collections of highly regarded research schools that play sports against each other while cooperating academically.
When I started following this whole mess back in 2010 (with Frank the Tanks post of Texas), big names were all I cared about joining the Big 10. Now, it's all about fit. Would Texas fit? Absolutely! Oklahoma? Yes (they have the Carnegie designation as well). ND? Nope, they want too many special privileges. UConn would be a great fit. I do believe that UConn will find a home somewhere, good luck!

Reaction Score
It's more than that, as far as money is concerned. The schools collaborate on research projects and certain professors and research departments at one school will lend their names with other schools for the acquisition of grant money. The big names all help in those grant dollars. A poster on the Michigan blog MGoBlog (about Johns Hopkins joining the Big 10 for Lacrosse) puts it better than I can:

As for admin dealings, check out the CiC. It contains every B1G member and UChicago, as they used to be a member prior to cutting all their sports. The CiC is amazingly stable and amazingly good at getting grants. A lot of schools would kill to get a seat at that table (word is Notre Dame's faculty foamed at the mouth when ND turned down a spot in the Big Ten). The CiC ensures the research efforts of the B1G are coordinated. When one CiC school goes after a big grant, the others help them out. That can range from getting big name profs at various schools to combined their star power together on one grant to lobbying the Congressional reps in the home states of the various schools to help the schools get the grant (Senators calling up the CDC and encouraging them to strongly consider Michigan's application for money, that sort of thing). This is a big business and athletics is nothing compared to it. As I mentioned, Michigan's hospital system normally has billions in active grants, compared to the 60 to 80 million that athletics makes every year. At one point I worked for a research lab that had 20 people and 70 million in active grants. The two profs who ran the lab had a better revenue stream than Brandon thanks to the NIH and CDC throwing money at us like we were the only hot stripper at the club.
You can also use these kind of ties to develop areas you don't have. Say for example some random B1G school wants to build a kick ass cancer center. They start some joint projects with Michigan, where Michigan's name is used to get the grant, but it gets the other school some funds to buy supplies, hire faculty/postdocs/, and so on and so forth. Michigan of course also gets a cut of the pie. Eventually the other school is strong enough to stand on its own. Normally this is also coordinated to supplment current CiC programs as opposed to competing.
If JH also affilates with the CiC at some level, which doesn't seem unreasonable since it offers perks ranging from library sharing to grant cooperation, that is a huge win for us. It is also while I'm strong against Maryland and Rutgers joining. While they bring NJ and Maryland Congressional reps into play for lobbying, they're a net drag everywhere else and a fiscal burden on both the sports and CiC sides. The academics welcomed Nebraska because they had a solid library (meaning they won't always be asking for our books via interlibrary loan) and a strong rep with various federal agencies that give out grants for things like farming, national park management, etc. Rutgers and Maryland just suck in terms of having a massive of research grants. Moving in JH as a partner instead of a competitor for NIH and CDC grants is a nice win.
Again, this is a random poster on an athletics blog, but it's pretty accurate from what my knowledge is. Having research giants Chicago, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, and potentially Johns Hopkins (they have joined the Big 10 for Lacrosse, but haven't decided if they are joining the CiC yet) in your corner when applying for grant money goes a very long ways in earning those grants. I understand that The ACC and The SEC are setting something similar up, but it will take a very long time to get on equal footing, if they do at all.
This is why AAU membership is important to the Big 10. If an appropriations committee sees a grant application with an AAU school on it, they don't have to research as deep whether the monies are going to a well run lab or not. The AAU designation helps in that regard (as does the Carnegie designation UConn holds). It all boils down to the CiC. I have stated this before, but the Big 10 is a collections of highly regarded research schools that play sports against each other while cooperating academically.
When I started following this whole mess back in 2010 (with Frank the Tanks post of Texas), big names were all I cared about joining the Big 10. Now, it's all about fit. Would Texas fit? Absolutely! Oklahoma? Yes (they have the Carnegie designation as well). ND? Nope, they want too many special privileges. UConn would be a great fit. I do believe that UConn will find a home somewhere, good luck!

I think you're quoting someone who is not quite aware of how it works. Nothing prevents anyone from joint research projects. A lot of them are already joint. I worked on one recently with people from Pitt and we did it together. The cooperation of these schools is minimal when you realize that the entire CiC budget is much less than 1% of the total research budget of the schools. The athletic budget, by comparison, is 10% of the budget. When I taught at a B1G school, the CiC was highly useful in allowing us to establish benchmarks, but beyond that the usefulness was limited. If you talk to the PSU people about the B1G, they think it's great because the affiliation allowed them easy access to information that helped the administration invest in programs at the same levels as its peers. But the amount that came in through the CiC was minimal. Look at Nebraska and how it was tossed from the AAU. If the CiC was really a big deal, Nebraska would never have been tossed. Really, the story of this academic through athletic affiliation is totally overblown.

Reaction Score
You are off; Toronto gets almost no snow each year. They average below 20" per year. Montreal, on the other hand, is the snowiest city in NA with more than 1 million population. Buffalo has its years solely depending on lake effect. This usually occurs in Nov and Dec as the lake is still warm, the air cold and winds to the southeast. Usually the city is spared but it can get hit hard if the winds are to the east. Toronto is north of lake Ontario so it gets nothing. I lived there for many years.

This sounds right to me.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think you're quoting someone who is not quite aware of how it works. Nothing prevents anyone from joint research projects. A lot of them are already joint. I worked on one recently with people from Pitt and we did it together. The cooperation of these schools is minimal when you realize that the entire CiC budget is much less than 1% of the total research budget of the schools. The athletic budget, by comparison, is 10% of the budget. When I taught at a B1G school, the CiC was highly useful in allowing us to establish benchmarks, but beyond that the usefulness was limited. If you talk to the PSU people about the B1G, they think it's great because the affiliation allowed them easy access to information that helped the administration invest in programs at the same levels as its peers. But the amount that came in through the CiC was minimal. Look at Nebraska and how it was tossed from the AAU. If the CiC was really a big deal, Nebraska would never have been tossed. Really, the story of this academic through athletic affiliation is totally overblown.

It very well could be, I'm not an expert at all. There seems to be many sides to this (just like any part of this CR debacle), but I have no issue with what you say.

Reaction Score
Buffalo's bad rap comes from the poverty and the fact that all the big businesses moved out. The snow here is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be for one reason: Lake Effect. People don't understand it until they've seen it. This is what it looks like:
buffalo2.jpg

You have bands of snow dumping feet on the southtowns, while in the city it's sunny and we don't get a bit of it. You see big differences in a single neighborhood. The city's harbor is at the mouth of Lake Erie (so it gets hit by the north strand of Lake Effect) while the rest of the city is buffered because it sits on the Niagara River and so we're not subject to lake fronts stalling once they hit the coast. Most of the precipitation will have already dissipated over western Ontario long before it hits Buffalo.

Buffalo is coming up as a lot of money has been poured into a high-tech district as well as the entertainment district by the harbor. But the history of the city is of big money moving in when the hydroelectric plant went up in the mid 19th century and then that big money moved out one hundred years later. The combo of cheap electric plus the Erie canal for quick distribution created a rich, beautiful city designed by Olmsted in a park system he would later use in NYC. Buffalo came first in design. Almost all the homes are beautiful old Victorians or else Arts & Crafts. The big industries were natural resources, agriculture refinement (we still have cereal makers like General Mills and you can smell Cheerios baking in the air every other day) and manufacturing (for example, the Larkin Co. or the world's biggest windshield wiper maker Trico, out of business now for two decades). Trico left behind $500m for an arts foundation that distributes $30m each year to the city's arts scene. It's very vibrant. When the St. Lawrence Seaway opened, businesses started leaving. Buffalo tried to lure them back with cheap power credits, but the history has been a gradual diminishing of good paying jobs. It's a Rust Belt city through and through. It's lost half its population. What remains is philanthropic foundations with hundreds of millions of dollar endowments, beautiful old homes and parks, and a lot of poor out of work people. That's how it gets its rep. The politicians around here are bad, and that's saying something for someone who grew up in New Haven and has lived in Providence and Albany/Troy. I've lived in 4 political machine towns. Buffalo still has one going.

The city is beautiful, has a lot of good restaurants, the weather is bad in winter because it's very cold here, but there's not much snow, and summer and fall has great sunny weather. In fact, Buffalo is the sunniest city in northeast America. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate the city about a 7. The city calls itself the City of Good Neighbors, but other than the ones right next to me, I've found people to be generally unhelpful and quick to scam a buck. If you didn't go to high school with someone, you're an outsider. It's a really tribal town. I wouldn't recommend moving here unless you love old homes, like cheaper living expenses, no traffic, and are a private person who doesn't need a lot of friends. I lived only 2 years in Ann Arbor and made 10x the close friends I've made in Buffalo in 8 years. Odd but beautiful place.

And if you've read this far, good luck to you.
Sounds like Schenectady?I find the people down over the loss of jobs since GE exported most of the jobs and unwilling to make friends unless they knew you for 30 yrs +?No work no recreation or nightlife and loads of poor moved up from the NYC boros with out opportunities!Can be very depressing for a guy who is gregarious but I find Albany a pretty decent place to live in!NYC is great if your young or wealthy!

Reaction Score
I've never visited in winter but I wasn't sure about the snow in Toronto but I liked it when I visited but most of my relatives are either down home in the maratimes or in western Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom