BiG CR articles | The Boneyard

BiG CR articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._expanding_report_hints_it_may_be_coming.html

"The Big Ten is expected to begin negotiations on a new deal in 2014 and grabbing two more universities — and television markets — would give the league added leverage."
UConn has to be the Eastern add to lock up NYC-Boston gap in their footprint!The B1G would undoubtedly own the Northeast along with there midwestern traditional grounds making the BTN a must in the most densely populated and rich eastern corridor stemming any potential claims by the other conference on NY-NewEngland dominance and leaving them (ACC) Temple or Buffalo if they want to dominate the finger lakes district!

Reaction Score
DooleyMcGringo UCONN and either Kansas or Virginia.

UCONN is incredibly close to AAU and already stack up favorably against other AAU institutions: http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/1... They are also a member of Universitas 21, of which only 3 other U.S. universities belong (UVA, Ohio State and Maryland being the others). UCONN just hired a new fundraiser who raised $1.7 Billion at Emory University in Atlanta to oversee their UCONN Foundation with the goal of increasing their Endowment figure. UCONN also is ranked higher than over half of current B1G members according to U.S.N&WR.

As for athletics, they bring competitive football that plays in a stadium that was built and designed to expand, and two POWERHOUSE (Top 10) basketball programs with plenty of conference and national championships. They also just moved their hockey program to the Hockey East and have had recent success in baseball and soccer.

Demographics-wise, they would partner up with RU to seal off NYC from the ACC (might be big enough to secure MSG for basketball tourneys!), plus they have significant penetration into Boston and carry the Hartford/New Haven DMA (#30).

If the B1G coupled UCONN with KU, the basketball would be TREMENDOUS and enough to give MSG and/or Barclays Executives something to think about when trying to decide to book events. Plus, it would be a good east/west play with NYC, Boston, STL, Kansas City and Hartford market penetration (important for the new TV contract negotiations).

If the B1G partnered UCONN up with UVA, the B1G would gain powerhouse basketball, competitive football (both are about equal), and a bit more fertile recruiting ground with UVA. Markets added for TV contract negotiation would be Atlantic seaboard based with NYC, Boston, Washington, Richmond, and Hartford.

Well said Dooley!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I say that with Virginia, B1G will effectively lock up DC. I feel like Kansas would only make as much sense if it owned its entire state since it won't have another school to help seal up its market for the B1G, like Maryland-Virginia (DC) and UConn-RU (NY) can. Plus, all the B1G has been talking is East Coast. I feel like if they were really trying to build an East-Midwest kind of rivalry, they have plenty of powerful programs on the Midwest side already. All they have as of now is Maryland, RU, and PSU.

Reaction Score

Well said Dooley!

I been saying for years us to the B1G is a no brainer. In five years it would be hailed as one of the best moves in CR.
The only problem I see now is a partner. There is none, without the break up of the B12 or ACC. That would brings us in competition with some big time players too tempting to pass on.
How do you shake loose a Kansas or Va without destroying those conferences?
ND is the only other school acceptable to the B1G. UConn, ND would be a brilliant move for the B1G.. If the ACC allows that, the consequences for them would be great.

Reaction Score
The problem with the nj.com article is that the writer doesn't seem to be very well informed. He mentions that the difficulty in getting ACC teams would be their GOR. Even though he mentions Oklahoma and Kansas, he doesn't mention the Big 12 GOR. This makes me think he as no idea of what he's talking about. He was assigned to write an article and did what little research he had to do write it. It's like his normal assignments don't have anything to do with sports or at least not college football and basketball. Maybe he normally does the fishing column or whatever. It seems to be one of those types of articles where the writer asks "Hey, this other guy wrote an article, what do you guys think? Who do you want to join?"

Reaction Score
I say that with Virginia, B1G will effectively lock up DC. I feel like Kansas would only make as much sense if it owned its entire state since it won't have another school to help seal up its market for the B1G, like Maryland-Virginia (DC) and UConn-RU (NY) can. Plus, all the B1G has been talking is East Coast. I feel like if they were really trying to build an East-Midwest kind of rivalry, they have plenty of powerful programs on the Midwest side already. All they have as of now is Maryland, RU, and PSU.

The University of Virginia is an outstanding university and would be a fantastic addition from the perspective of the B1G. However, the vote by Virginia in favor of raising the ACC exit fee and signing the ACC GOR, is evidence that Virginia has no desire to join the B1G. This can also be said of North Carolina, Duke and Georgia Tech for the exact same reason. Delany was hoping for North Carolina in combination with 1 or 3 of these other universities to follow Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G to establish an even stronger East Coast B1G presence. It is not to be. I do not see how any additional B1G expansion would involve a team from the ACC.

Reaction Score
There is zero reference to UConn in this and based on this statement/requirement, UConn is not remotely being considered

"While the conference has a number of official and unofficial "requirements" for perspective members — land-grant institutions, members of the Association of American Universities, etc. — there is a chance it would waive some of those checkmarks if the football brand was too big to ignore."

Reaction Score
There is zero reference to UConn in this and based on this statement/requirement, UConn is not remotely being considered

"While the conference has a number of official and unofficial "requirements" for perspective members — land-grant institutions, members of the Association of American Universities, etc. — there is a chance it would waive some of those checkmarks if the football brand was too big to ignore."

We've already been over this:

"There are no restrictions regarding expansion - potential additions are not required to be in the AAU, and they do not have to be in (or adjacent to) the eight Big Ten states," league spokesman Scott Chipman wrote in an e-mail. Removing the AAU and geographic limitations means the Big Ten can add any school from anywhere in the country.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/525178.html?nav=742

Reaction Score
Gosh, read that last sentence, is that the part you are encouraged by??

We've already been over this:

"There are no restrictions regarding expansion - potential additions are not required to be in the AAU, and they do not have to be in (or adjacent to) the eight Big Ten states," league spokesman Scott Chipman wrote in an e-mail. Removing the AAU and geographic limitations means the Big Ten can add any school from anywhere in the country.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/525178.html?nav=742

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I read it as Oklahoma is a target since their football is a huge name. Oklahoma is logical after all that talk that was made from their AD. People assume it is adding Cincy and BYU... in actuality it might be OK and Texas move to B1G. They can survive the GOR

Reaction Score
People assume the Big 12 is adding Cincy and BYU only because they are trusting yokels with Twitter accounts.

If BYU could fit in the Big 12, they'd have been in the Big 12 two years ago.
Too many issues. Besides, they have a great ESPN deal unto themselves.

Cincy is a fairly logical choice though, should the Big 12 be forced to expand.
But I wouldn't rule out a move to get into Florida. Cincy and USF would be my bet.

That said, expansion in the Big 12 is 5-5 (at best, could be 4-6). And they need 8 votes to expand. In other words, it ain't happening unless D4 forces the CCG upon them.

Reaction Score
I know ex-SEC commissioner Roy Kramer said that we have SEC potential as a fanbase when the feasibility study was conducted on whether to upgrade football but does anyone know where to find proof of him saying that?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I been saying for years us to the B1G is a no brainer. In five years it would be hailed as one of the best moves in CR.
The only problem I see now is a partner. There is none, without the break up of the B12 or ACC. That would brings us in competition with some big time players too tempting to pass on.
How do you shake loose a Kansas or Va without destroying those conferences?
ND is the only other school acceptable to the B1G. UConn, ND would be a brilliant move for the B1G.. If the ACC allows that, the consequences for them would be great.

Except the ACC doesn't have to worry about ND. Besides the GOR and the exit fee that ND agreed to, all of ND's moves since 1991 (NBC contract, Big East admission, ACC admission) have been to keep it out of full conference membership, in particular the Big Ten.

ND likes the Boston to Miami exposure it gets from ACC membership in 24 sports, with hockey in Hockey East and football as an independent with a scheduling/bowl deal with the ACC. ND sees that as the ideal setup for them.

ND sees Big Ten membership as the worst possible outcome for it in conference realignment and has/will do everything it can to stay out of the clutches of Jim Delany and Friends.

Reaction Score

Every piece of news about B1G expansion is traced back to the Dodd comments in his article. Any news articles following up on this keep pointing back to Dodds with no new info. What does that tell you? It SHOULD tell you that there are a number of writers that have nothing new to write about until the start of CFB, so they may as well put out some filler articles to take up space (and meet their deadlines) until the start of the season. Also, it's big business now to get people to flock to the various sites looking for some obscure factoid about possible expansion. The fact that this is continuing is beyond ludicrous. If the B1G could not entice schools (or did not want to invite additional schools) to join before the GOR's at the other conferences went into place, why in the hell would they pursue it now? It makes no sense. It defies logic.

Besides, what I highlighted in bold should actually make a lot of UCONN fans conclude that the B1G has no interest in UCONN. I also wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the AAU. They run on their own schedule and are trying to keep the club as exclusive as possible. While UCONN may be working hard at AAU status, there are an awful lot of other schools doing the same and doing the same press releases as Herbst. Besides, I think if the B1G wanted to use "AAU status" as a litmus test, it's most likely more concerned with whether the school in question has the research metrics met as opposed to getting the official membership card. I cannot imagine the B1G reviewing the UCONN data and stating the following: "While UCONN demonstrated that they have the research cache worthy of an AAU invite, we're not going to invite them because they don't have the label attached to their school...". Ludicrous.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The University of Virginia is an outstanding university and would be a fantastic addition from the perspective of the B1G. However, the vote by Virginia in favor of raising the ACC exit fee and signing the ACC GOR, is evidence that Virginia has no desire to join the B1G. This can also be said of North Carolina, Duke and Georgia Tech for the exact same reason. Delany was hoping for North Carolina in combination with 1 or 3 of these other universities to follow Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G to establish an even stronger East Coast B1G presence. It is not to be. I do not see how any additional B1G expansion would involve a team from the ACC.

Soooo you're saying the most likely candidate to go with us is KU as of now? Any chance Buffalo may become the second team if they work their stuff out? It's just that all Delany and the B1G have been talking is East coast.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Besides, what I highlighted in bold should actually make a lot of UCONN fans conclude that the B1G has no interest in UCONN. I also wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the AAU. They run on their own schedule and are trying to keep the club as exclusive as possible. While UCONN may be working hard at AAU status, there are an awful lot of other schools doing the same and doing the same press releases as Herbst. Besides, I think if the B1G wanted to use "AAU status" as a litmus test, it's most likely more concerned with whether the school in question has the research metrics met as opposed to getting the official membership card. I cannot imagine the B1G reviewing the UCONN data and stating the following: "While UCONN demonstrated that they have the research cache worthy of an AAU invite, we're not going to invite them because they don't have the label attached to their school...". Ludicrous.

The B1G has made it clear on this: CR is about making them money. And when you're a school like RU, who (apparently in their eyes) stands to make money for them through regional affiliation alone, so too goes the "too big to ignore football brand" stuff. RU has no real history in athletics, and MD, beyond their bball NC like 10+ years ago, hasn't done much of anything either in a very long time. None of the proposed schools, besides Mizzou who is apparently not even in the running anymore, have any kind of football program that you "can't ignore" like an Oklahoma or a Texas.

UConn is working its best at all the things it can control in light of our lack of a football brand that is too big to ignore. Our endowment is going to grow. The state just pumped a couple billion dollars in to UConn's science, math and engineering and general campus and faculty expansion, along with a few hundred million for our medical center, and we are getting close to AAU. We are already the flagship school of CT (and I argue potentially all of New England with the right B1G support). We are ranked ahead of most the the current B1G schools. We sit within and have strong fan bases in two major markets; more specifically, the B1G's main prize of NY. Our stadium is ready for expansion. The B1G has made it clear that they do still care about other sports, and there isn't an available school that would raise the conference's bball profile like UConn.

So, this "no interest" nonsense is, well, nonsense. There's no way the B1G can't be at least a little interested in UConn.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Every piece of news about B1G expansion is traced back to the Dodd comments in his article. Any news articles following up on this keep pointing back to Dodds with no new info. What does that tell you? It SHOULD tell you that there are a number of writers that have nothing new to write about until the start of CFB, so they may as well put out some filler articles to take up space (and meet their deadlines) until the start of the season. Also, it's big business now to get people to flock to the various sites looking for some obscure factoid about possible expansion. The fact that this is continuing is beyond ludicrous. If the B1G could not entice schools (or did not want to invite additional schools) to join before the GOR's at the other conferences went into place, why in the hell would they pursue it now? It makes no sense. It defies logic.

UConn isn't "working" towards AAU in the sense that other schools are. UConn is throwing billions of dollars at the effort and is on a hiring binge unseen at nearly any university. OK and FSU may have the "plan" but UConn has the resources.

Reaction Score
The B1G has made it clear on this: CR is about making them money. And when you're a school like RU, who (apparently in their eyes) stands to make money for them through regional affiliation alone, so too goes the "too big to ignore football brand" stuff. RU has no real history in athletics, and MD, beyond their bball NC like 10+ years ago, hasn't done much of anything either in a very long time. None of the proposed schools, besides Mizzou who is apparently not even in the running anymore, have any kind of football program that you "can't ignore" like an Oklahoma or a Texas.

UConn is working its best at all the things it can control in light of our lack of a football brand that is too big to ignore. Our endowment is going to grow. The state just pumped a couple billion dollars in to UConn's science, math and engineering and general campus and faculty expansion, along with a few hundred million for our medical center, and we are getting close to AAU. We are already the flagship school of CT (and I argue potentially all of New England with the right B1G support). We are ranked ahead of most the the current B1G schools. We sit within and have strong fan bases in two major markets; more specifically, the B1G's main prize of NY. Our stadium is ready for expansion. The B1G has made it clear that they do still care about other sports, and there isn't an available school that would raise the conference's bball profile like UConn.

So, this "no interest" nonsense is, well, nonsense. There's no way the B1G can't be at least a little interested in UConn.

Plus, UConn is a land-grant university, like all of the other Big 10 schools.

http://www.aplu.org/page.aspx?pid=249

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul