Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
ACC is just Cuse, Pitt, and, BC.

As much as I loved UConn always kicking BC's butt I don't miss it.

Completely disagree with you on reffing.
And Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, VTech...not to mention our history with Duke.

We have history with half that conference. Without considering what may or may not happen to the ACC in 2036, I would much rather be there than in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
And Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, VTech...not to mention our history with Duke.

We have history with half that conference. Without considering what may or may not happen to the ACC in 2036, I would much rather be there than in the Big 12.
I never considered any of those later additions to the Big East rivals and none of them are geographically close to UConn.

Reaction Score
That seems to be the thing people have been saying and everyone who is so hyped about the Big 12 is spinning for no reason. UConn obviously won't turn down an invite but I think it will hurt the basketball program somewhat and the travel will suck.

This is the right analysis. If we're offered (I still don't expect to be) we have to take it, but for men's basketball it will, in the short term, be a lateral move at best and could have a little net downside. But it is necessary both for football and the long term safety of our basketball programs.

I wish those who support the move, as I do, would be more honest about it's negatives as well. Alternatives don't have to be perfect to be the best alternatives.

Reaction Score
I never considered any of those later additions to the Big East rivals and none of them are geographically close to UConn.
I personally dont think I know a single grad from any big12 schools. However I have freinds from high school, work and family with ties to ND, Miami, bc, cuse, uva ect. Just the general trash talk element of being in the ACC would be great for me compared to the big 12

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I personally dont think I know a single grad from any big12 schools. However I have freinds from high school, work and family with ties to ND, Miami, bc, cuse, uva ect. Just the general trash talk element of being in the ACC would be great for me compared to the big 12
You know, now that you mention this, I don't think I have any big 12 friends either. ACC or big 10, absolutely, but big 12... nada.

Reaction Score
I mean how many people consider/ed MU, PC, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Depaul, and Seton Hall Big East rivals?

Nova, Georgetown, and St Johns (maybe?) are the only current Big East schools who we considered rivals in the Old Big East.

Louisville was definitely approaching rivalry territory, especially with Pitino at the helm

Reaction Score
Of course UConn has way more in common with the ACC than they do with the Big 12 but the ACC has made it extremely clear for close to 20 years they want nothing to do with UConn. The Big 12 may want to have something to do with UConn, the Big East certainly wants have something to do with UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
Of course UConn has way more in common with the ACC than they do with the Big 12 but the ACC has made it extremely clear for close to 20 years they want nothing to do with UConn. The Big 12 may want to have something to do with UConn, the Big East certainly wants have something to do with UConn.
Agree. Which raises the interesting question, if we were offered both a seat in the big 12 and the ACC, which would you want the school to take? I think the big 12 is the (far) more stable conference and seems to be better positioned to survive in the long run, but, being perfectly honest, I'd rather play ACC teams. We have a history with a lot of them.

I think under that hypothetical, I would choose the big 12, but it would not be an easy decision.

Reaction Score
ACC don't want us and some just don't get it. You guys keep pounding on this like its possible or wait till 2036 yeh 13 years from now they might reach out and maybe, just maybe they will give us a look. Long time from now. I am for the move if it comes. Not perfect for all the reasons mentioned in this thread but I believe more positives than negative and money talks and I don't think our bb will go down hill as some have mentioned and our football will benefit will be tough for awhile but in time will be competitive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agree. Which raises the interesting question, if we were offered both a seat in the big 12 and the ACC, which would you want the school to take? I think the big 12 is the (far) more stable conference and seems to be better positioned to survive in the long run, but, being perfectly honest, I'd rather play ACC teams. We have a history with a lot of them.

I think under that hypothetical, I would choose the big 12, but it would not be an easy decision.

I'd take the ACC. I can't imagine a world where UConn, UNC, Duke, or Syracuse are in a league that can't qualify for whatever the premiere basketball tournament becomes.

As for football? I don't expect to compete for national titles so playing teams we care about makes the experience worthwhile.

Reaction Score
I mean how many people consider/ed MU, PC, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Depaul, and Seton Hall Big East rivals?

Nova, Georgetown, and St Johns (maybe?) are the only current Big East schools who we considered rivals in the Old Big East.

Louisville was definitely approaching rivalry territory, especially with Pitino at the helm
Half of the Big East teams we play were with us since the beginning and we have history with all of them at this point but I don't consider them all rivals. One of the additions we beat in the national title game.

Cuse and Pitt are the only ACC teams I consider rivals. We have history and hatred with Duke because of '90, '99, 2004.

We had some great games against Louisville but it was for a relatively short amount of time. Our history with them feels similar to me as it does with Marquette and future Big 12 team Cincinnati. I never liked playing Cincinnati though, I've always loved playing Marquette and Louisville. Our history with Creighton and Xavier is more recent but I always love playing them.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd take the ACC. I can't imagine a world where UConn, UNC, Duke, or Syracuse are in a league that can't qualify for whatever the premiere basketball tournament becomes.

As for football? I don't expect to compete for national titles so playing teams we care about makes the experience worthwhile.
I could be convinced of this, but I worry about conference stability. UNC and Virginia are likely big 10 targets. The SEC would likely pick up at least two schools as well. FSU and Clemson would seem to be a good fit except that it doesn't expand the market for them.

So, would a ACC without its top four teams still be considered a power conference or would it be a de facto relegation, like we saw with the big East? That's what makes me hesitant about joining the ACC. (Well, that and the fact that they are unlikely to offer, acceptance hypothetical.)

pj

Reaction Score
My understanding is the prorated increase is only for P5 teams, or for select G5 teams that the broadcast partners agree will be treated as if they were T5 teams for the purposes of expansion under the existing contract.

Yormark has said that Connecticut has been approved by the broadcast partners to get a full pro rata share. That was not the case for the "discount rack four" that came in from the American.

That said, you are absolutely correct that the fact that the broadcast partners are paying a full share doesn't mean that we will automatically get a full share from the Conference upon joining. Reading the tea leaves about all that's been said, I believe that we will. If anything the CFP money may be delayed or foregone in the near term.

Keep in mind that the AAC four came in with two years to go until the new contract begins in 2025. They are getting partial shares only during that period. Once the new contract comes in they will be entitled to full shares. While I don't know this for certain, it wouldn't surprise me if Connecticut were to start in 2025. I don't know what the Big East exit provisions require for notice, but I would be surprised if we were playing in the big 12 next year.

A reasonable compromise would be a full share of media rights and a delayed share of conference NCAA/CFP credits.

Reaction Score

Same feelings as you have. Big 12 feels stable as the third major conference in all sports for a host of reasons. I prefer playing the ACC teams because it's a better fit history wise, culturally, and geographically but the conference is being held together by duct tape and the GOR. The first time a bunch of their schools can leave they're leaving for the SEC and Big 10 and I don't see how they backfill.

Also, farck the ACC. If they had any common sense they would've added UConn many years ago. They dug their own graves.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple comments:

Attempting to wish an ACC invitation into existence won't accomplish anything.

Other than no longer playing our conference tournament in MSG and (for those who live close enough to Providence or NYC) seeing a live conference road game in addition to our home slate, there really aren't any substantial negatives to this move.

I won't believe it will happen until I see it but if it does happen it will be far too good of an opportunity to consider passing on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ACC is just Cuse, Pitt, and, BC.

As much as I loved UConn always kicking BC's butt I don't miss it.

Completely disagree with you on reffing.
Among former BE conference programs, ACC has BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, Louisville, Notre Dame and Miami.
New Big East has Georgetown, Nova, SJU, PC, Seton Hall, Marquette and DePaul.

So 7 schools in each. Miami was 1991, and VT football was too. ND came in 1995. VT Hoops was 2000. Louisville, Marquette and DePaul came in 2005. So we have less history with those schools.

Looking at the teams without prior BE history, I'd gladly choose Duke, UNC, NC State, GT, FSU over Butler, Creighton, Xavier. I understand we all may have different views on this.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I could be convinced of this, but I worry about conference stability. UNC and Virginia are likely big 10 targets. The SEC would likely pick up at least two schools as well. FSU and Clemson would seem to be a good fit except that it doesn't expand the market for them.

So, would a ACC without its top four teams still be considered a power conference or would it be a de facto relegation, like we saw with the big East? That's what makes me hesitant about joining the ACC. (Well, that and the fact that they are unlikely to offer, acceptance hypothetical.)
I think the instability is exaggerated. None of them are going anywhere until 2036. The Big XII GOR ends before that, I have little doubt that WVU may be asked to join the ACC, possibly Cinci as well. They'd jump. SEC is an ESPN league. ACC is an ESPN league. ESPN isn't paying to move Clemson and FSU to the SEC. The B1G might raid for UNC/UVA/GT, but that's 12 years from now so it's hard to predict that. The entire landscape may have changed by then.

For UConn, I'd rate them 1. ACC 2. Big XII 3. Big East. ACC gets about the same media payout as Big XII, ACC payout goes up every year of that deal, Big XII is level. For UConn, in terms of recruiting out of state undergrads (which matters) ACC is vastly better than the others.

Reaction Score
I think the instability is exaggerated. None of them are going anywhere until 2036. The Big XII GOR ends before that, I have little doubt that WVU may be asked to join the ACC, possibly Cinci as well. They'd jump. SEC is an ESPN league. ACC is an ESPN league. ESPN isn't paying to move Clemson and FSU to the SEC. The B1G might raid for UNC/UVA/GT, but that's 12 years from now so it's hard to predict that. The entire landscape may have changed by then.

For UConn, I'd rate them 1. ACC 2. Big XII 3. Big East. ACC gets about the same media payout as Big XII, ACC payout goes up every year of that deal, Big XII is level. For UConn, in terms of recruiting out of state undergrads (which matters) ACC is vastly better than the others.
If the ACC was smart, they'd go for WVU, UConn, Kansas, and Cincy if the Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA crew leaves. But then again, this is the same conference that listened to the skid mark on the underpants of society - Boston College - when they blocked UConn from joining in 2013.

CL82

Reaction Score

I don't see anyone jumping from the Big 12 to the ACC. I also don't see anyone who's in the Big 12 who would be desirable to the SEC or the Big Ten. It's a little ironic, but the big 12s lack of desirability to other conferences is a strength. The same can't be said about the ACC which will almost certainly lose at least four major members in 12 years.

Keep in mind that the big 12 starts a new agreement in 2025. After the loss of Oklahoma and Texas it still makes slightly more than the ACC. The big 12 will get an opportunity to renegotiate that agreement once more before the ACC gets to renegotiate theirs. It's very likely that there will be a significant difference between the payouts between the two conferences.

Reaction Score
Among former BE conference programs, ACC has BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, Louisville, Notre Dame and Miami.
New Big East has Georgetown, Nova, SJU, PC, Seton Hall, Marquette and DePaul.

So 7 schools in each. Miami was 1991, and VT football was too. ND came in 1995. VT Hoops was 2000. Louisville, Marquette and DePaul came in 2005. So we have less history with those schools.

Looking at the teams without prior BE history, I'd gladly choose Duke, UNC, NC State, GT, FSU over Butler, Creighton, Xavier. I understand we all may have different views on this.
Originals who are still in the Big East- UConn, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Providence, Villanova. Nova joined 1 year later, close enough so they get included.

Originals who are now in the ACC- Syracuse, BC, and Pitt. Pitt joined 3 years later, close enough so they get included.

Current non-original Big East members who are now in ACC-

Notre Dame 1995-2013

Miami 1991-2003

Virginia Tech 2000-2003

Louisville 2005-2012

Current non-original Big East members who are still in the Big East-

Marquette 2005-2022...

Depaul 2005-2022...

Xavier 2013-2022...

Creighton 2013-2022...

Butler 2013-2022...

Reaction Score
I don't see anyone jumping from the Big 12 to the ACC. I also don't see anyone who's in the Big 12 who would be desirable to the SEC or the Big Ten. It's a little ironic, but the big 12s lack of desirability to other conferences is a strength. The same can't be said about the ACC which will almost certainly lose at least four major members in 12 years.

Keep in mind that the big 12 starts a new agreement in 2025. After the loss of Oklahoma and Texas it still makes slightly more than the ACC. The big 12 will get an opportunity to renegotiate that agreement once more before the ACC gets to renegotiate theirs. It's very likely that there will be a significant difference between the payouts between the two conferences.
Bingo

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I think WVU would jump in an instant if given a chance to play Pitt and VT. The Big XII made more last year, but barely, and their contract is flat per year. The ACC contract escalates each year of the deal. In short order it should be more money. On renegotiation, I don't think you'll see the Big 12 higher than the ACC by much, if at all. To me that date is an opportunity for WVU and Cinci to bolt and ACC to renegotiate based on expansion.

But the fun is, we can all wait and see.

Reaction Score
I think the instability is exaggerated. None of them are going anywhere until 2036.

Agreed. In this ridiculous hypothetical that we got to choose between the big 12 and Acc I don’t think you can base it on what may or may not happen in 2036. Nobody knows. Think Acc is just the better fit

Reaction Score

Providence is a rival to me. People circle the game on the calendar. Easy enough for fans of both schools to travel to each other. They've beaten us plenty of times in the last 15 years than i care to remember . Creighton/Xavier/MU could turn into rivals as well, if we can bother beating them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think an invite is ever going to come. I've said that many times.

BUT, half of $50m is $25m. Which is much better than anything they're ever going to get in the BE.

If UConn fans are expecting immediate shares, which is something hardly anyone gets, they are going to be mistaken. We all know that will not happen because it hasn't happened for some of the most powerful brands, like PSU's move.

I have no idea why you think I'd be disappointed by something I absolutely expect to happen

I'd settle for $35M to start with a full share in 3 years. That would cover our exit fees plus a bit more to help fund the AD at close to the current level. The progressively big6 money would start to flow in year 2 and by year 3 we are at full speed. If they want the progression to extend to year 4. I'd agree to it, but that's as far as I'd go.

The AD has shown it can operate under the current circumstances. UConn isn't as desparate as it was in 2012.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom