Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
I get the Providence, Nova, Georgetown, St. John's and even Seton Hall love. I have some too. I'd trade those games for games against Syracuse and Pitt if I could personally and would love to have another 26 game winning streak against BC.

The rest of the current Big East doesn't excite me nearly as much as games against Baylor, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State would. Games against Kansas with both teams highly rank will probably end up on Fox main channel with all sorts of hype.
Also, we don't know how good a Jay Wright-less Nova will be. Certainly not off to a good start. If they're not there to carry the banner with us (literally) the conference suffers greatly, especially since we don't know if Gtow/StJ will rebound to their former elite statuses.

Yeah Marquette/Creighton have developed into really nice programs and Xavier should rebound under Miller, but its just not the same as OBE matchups, especially as it relates to TV ratings (and thus $).

With KU you're guaranteed an elite program to go head-to-head with yearly, and while the other schools you listed are more "new school" big CBB names, I kind of trust them to have more staying power than our "new school" midwest schools, so then at that point wouldn't you rather be in the B12?

Reaction Score
Also, we don't know how good a Jay Wright-less Nova will be. Certainly not off to a good start. If they're not there to carry the banner with us (literally) the conference suffers greatly, especially since we don't know if Gtow/StJ will rebound to their former elite statuses.

Yeah Marquette/Creighton have developed into really nice programs and Xavier should rebound under Miller, but its just not the same as OBE matchups, especially as it relates to TV ratings (and thus $).

With KU you're guaranteed an elite program to go head-to-head with yearly, and while the other schools you listed are more "new school" big CBB names, I kind of trust them to have more staying power than our "new school" midwest schools, so then at that point wouldn't you rather be in the B12?
If Nova had any staying power, Neptune would have won a title already.

Reaction Score
I get the Providence, Nova, Georgetown, St. John's and even Seton Hall love. I have some too. I'd trade those games for games against Syracuse and Pitt if I could personally and would love to have another 26 game winning streak against BC.

The rest of the current Big East doesn't excite me nearly as much as games against Baylor, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State would. Games against Kansas with both teams highly rank will probably end up on Fox main channel with all sorts of hype.
Marquette, Creighton, Xavier don't excite you as much as Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Marquette, Creighton, Xavier don't excite you as much as Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State?

I'd rather face a good (top 25) Nova, Georgetown, St. John's, PC or hell even Hall than any Big 12 team, including KU, but I think it's going to be difficult for more than two of those teams to be fit the bill most years.

I'd put Kansas in a second tier

Then West Virginia, Cincinnati, and Marquette.

Everyone else is more or less the same for me.

Reaction Score
I'd rather face a good (top 25) Nova, Georgetown, St. John's, PC or hell even Hall than any Big 12 team, including KU, but I think it's going to be difficult for more than two of those teams to be fit the bill most years.

Ya know we can still schedule with them, yes? And add KU, etc with the conference move. I will only miss MSG tourney.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ya know we can still schedule with them, yes? And add KU, etc with the conference move. I will only miss MSG tourney.

Yes, I do in fact understand that is a possibility as we scheduled Georgetown, Villanova and Syracuse during our years in the desert.

Btw I'm 100% for the move. Just stating that at least initially the games won't have as much juice. With a larger league and no round robin it'll take even longer to get a semblance of a rivalry going too, where as we got a little something with Creighton going playing 2-3 times a year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No. How long did it take Ollie? He sucked.

lol. On the off-chance you're not trolling me, Ollie did it in his 2nd year, which Neptune is entering right now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I, for one, am not surprised.

Right, I forgot there is one tier of opponents for True UConn fans.

Villanova, Kansas, Jacksonville State, Sacred Heart all the same.

Reaction Score

???

I've been watching since the 1970s and this seriously doesn't make any sense for me.

I'd rather watch them play Kansas 100% of the time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Villanova, Kansas, Jacksonville State, Sacred Heart all the same.
It is getting harder to tell the jokes. For example, I believe the above to be an attempt at a joke.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
???

I've been watching since the 1970s and this seriously doesn't make any sense for me.

I'd rather watch them play Kansas 100% of the time.

I'm sorry my personal preference doesn't make sense to you.

I'll ensure I fix that asap.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't even tell if this is a joke, it's getting harder and harder to tell around here.
It's best just to assume it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Top 25 ranked Georgetown? Good luck finding that unicorn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm just worried about your health

I've grown up seeing UConn play Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova in Big East championship games that mean something to north east basketball.

Kansas is cool, but you can't just erase decades of history and meaning associated with those games with a shiny new toy.

And if memory serves, you're a Penn State guy too so maybe it makes sense being a league with brand names and no rivals but most of us care about this kind of stuff.

Again, 100% for the move, and would be excited to play Kansas but seems kind of similar to Syracuse being gung ho to play UNC and Duke every year. Novelty eventually wears off when you realize you're about 13th on their rivalry pecking order.

Reaction Score
I've grown up seeing UConn play Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova in Big East championship games that mean something to north east basketball.

Kansas is cool, but you can't just erase decades of history and meaning associated with those games with a shiny new toy.

And if memory serves, you're a Penn State guy too so maybe it makes sense being a league with brand names and no rivals but most of us care about this kind of stuff.

Again, 100% for the move, and would be excited to play Kansas but seems kind of similar to Syracuse being gung ho to play UNC and Duke every year. Novelty eventually wears off when you realize you're about 13th on their rivalry pecking order.
Yeah I think it'll be cool to play Kansas but I don't really care about it.

Reaction Score

If Syracuse stayed in the upper eschalon, maybe in 10-15 years there would be enough hardcore fans and enough alumni who knew these as their rivals. Syracuse would still be second tier to them, but it might be closer to something like Duke-Maryland, which was pretty heated. Or to stay closer to home, UConn-Pitt. Even UConn hardly had a real rival for a while, not just because in the 1990s we were so good, but because in the 1980s we were so bad. It took until the mid-2000s before enough Syracuse fans disliked us to put us into their 1B or 2 slot in rivalries.

Time and meaningful games is what makes rivalries and excitement for fans. Syracuse doesn't have that right now. Neither would UConn in the B12 right now, though there'd be some Cincy and WVU juice for older fans. And they could absolutely develop rivalries with some of the other major programs like Kansas.

Reaction Score

I may be older than you, who knows. I grew up watching UConn play Holy Cross in the 70s. So... yes those games were great. But we're 40 years past that. A lot of time has passed. Georgetown and St John's are not what they once were and they haven't been that in a very very very long time. Kansas is a perennial blue blood.

If we drop to Syracuse levels of ineptitude, we have other problems here anyway.

I was a UConn fan long before I did one of my grad degrees at Penn State, but really, PSU does have big rivalries in the B1G. It really does. It shouldn't even be a surprise since they've been there for 30 years now. That's a lot of time

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom