Big 12 Meetings | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I need to take some lessons in stalling from the Big 12. Next time my boss asks me to report in on a project I'm going to say "OK so I can confirm that you're interested in this project, and I've authorized Mike to begin evaluating candidates to do it"

Reaction Score
davidubben: Boren: The Big 12 board of directors advised Bob Bowlsby to move forward and explore interest of institutions who want to join the league

Got to be kidding me!!!! There are any number of schools that have offered Bowlsby "BJ's" for life for an invitation. What the hell qualifies as "interest?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds to me that B12 is pissed that ESPN said no to them but yes to the ACC. So they are going to [mess with] ESPN/Fox by expanding. I wouldn't be surprised to 4 teams, provided that they'll all take a limited share through the end of the Big 12 GOR.

Boren:
General consensus to proceed. (Unanimous vote to follow up with schools who expressed interest to assess their preparedness and commitment.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other possible line of thought here for the Big 12 may be, expand to 12-14 with the intention of pushing towards a network and pray that when current TV deal is up, they can shop that membership to NBC Sports or another non-ESPN partner to create a full-fledged, linear network.

(Assumes that OU and UT aren't gone by then).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Y
The other possible line of thought here for the Big 12 may be, expand to 12-14 with the intention of pushing towards a network and pray that when current TV deal is up, they can shop that membership to NBC Sports or another non-ESPN partner to create a full-fledged, linear network.

(Assumes that OU and UT aren't gone by then).
Yep, its one way to approach this. A way that OU would probably push for if they learned their chances at the PAC12/B1G and SEC are not firm.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me that B12 is pissed that ESPN said no to them but yes to the ACC. So they are going to ESPN/Fox by expanding. I wouldn't be surprised to 4 teams, provided that they'll all take a limited share through the end of the Big 12 GOR.

It's what they should do. Get the best overall candidates available, get $1B, work to lay the groundwork for a network and building up the new additions for the next round of TV negotiations.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bowlsby says it's a forward step towards expansion. Might go until their October meeting,

It was a unanimous vote to move forward.
Or might have a special meeting before then.

Reaction Score
Our problem is selection critia lose any semblance of objectivity
Give Houston a few bucks ,Get a bribe from the Memphis folks in the form of a bowl sponsorship . I suspect those positions are pretty much for sale.
Heck even give SMU and Rice another crack at the big time . What difference does it make if the B12 dies in 8 years.
What's in for the Jr members is a minimum $80million to $120( million as opposed to $30million
Being accepted into the Big 12 isn't quite being in the power world but it keeps you auditioning for future consideration
For everyone else it's don't call us we'll call you.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I could live with UConn playing UT, OU, Baylor and TCU away every couple of years! 1-3 hrs drive for me to any of those stadiums. Might have to create a BY West tailgate posse, with open invitations to all BYers, of course. :cool:

CL82

Reaction Score
BYU UConn, Cinci and [one of UCF, Memphis, or Houston?]

Houston reaching out to PAC12 - were they given a heads up? We're they told that they are out?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
BYU UConn, Cinci and [one of UCF, Memphis, or Houston?]

Houston reaching out to PAC12 - were they given a heads up? We're they told that they are out?

Its hard to believe the long term revenue numbers and recruiting to boot, aren't best served by UCF vs Memphis and/or Houston. The B12 will need the FL tv market.

Sorry Houston, you need to push out Baylor or TCU for you seat at the table.

Strictly based on cable boxes/tv draw - you have to figure BYU/UConn/Cincy and one of USF/UCF. Hard to see how Memphis, Colorado or Houston can generate more $$.

CL82

Reaction Score
Academics is a stated factor. That's huge for us.
Members who will grow over time, and have a high top end. That's good for us as well.
High level of improvement in schools who have joined the P5... back pedaling from "no schools worth it."
Need for conference to be proactive.

CL82

Reaction Score
Evaluation of candidates is of "their interest." That tells me they know who they want but they want to see how much flexibility each school has (read that as willingness to take reduced payments.)

Well boys I guess the CR board is back in business. I apologize to my wife in advance.

Reaction Score
Evaluation of candidates is of "their interest." That tells me they know who they want but they want to see how much flexibility each school has (read that as willingness to take reduced payments.)

Well boys I guess the CR board is back in business. I apologize to my wife in advance.
We should have the gov take ESPN tax credit and pay the 12

Reaction Score
They want Bowlsby to evaluate the interest of other schools? What have they been doing?

Thought exactly the same thing. I would've thought they'd be well beyond that point by now. I understand the topic got put on the back burner for awhile, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom