OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 67 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Modern.

Tried Zuppardi's really good.

Hate to say the occasional "Traditional" is fine by me as that was the Verdolini's way for me as a kid. Tried it at Z's and it was really really good, sauce is excellent. Got my wife the Garden Veggie whit and she loved it and son a mozzy and he is now a pizza whore and loved it. It's up there - we had to reheat too so I need to try it on site soon, believe I will be very impressed. Love the little hole in the walls

Reaction Score
Every time my grandfather or his brothers made pizza fritte, it was sprinkled with powdered sugar . . . these were people that lived in the most Italian of Italian neighborhoods.
It really goes both ways. Our church served both. It depends on what you are in the mood for. Sweet or savory? As much of a sweet tooth as I have, I always go for sauce and cheese when it is available. I guess I am savory when savory is good. Except for flourless chocolate cake. That is my crack.

Reaction Score
Every time my grandfather or his brothers made pizza fritte, it was sprinkled with powdered sugar . . . these were people that lived in the most Italian of Italian neighborhoods.
That's how it's done everywhere except in Connecticut it seems and I don't know why. I find the fried dough with sauce and parmesan to be way tastier.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This isn't hard: Fried dough in the morning or for dessert gets the butter and powdered sugar treatment; all other times sauce and grated parm.

Honey may be substituted for butter and powdered sugar.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Either way was how my Italian family handled fried dough. Fit your mood.
I never had the crushed nuts that Excalibur referred to. Sounds interesting. What kind was used?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
About to leave for Italy. I will report back.
If you are heading to Rome, you can find great pizza in many of the restaurants around the Pantheon, as well as in Trastevere.

Other than pizza:

1. Truffles, always.
2. With chinghiale, even better.
3. If in the north, donkey. Look for it braised in Barolo.
4. Lardo.
5. Gelato at least once a day.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds like great suggestions! (But I am leary of Donkey)
It was a spiritual quest for me, given my kinship to the jackass. It will not surprise you that Mrs. 8893 refused, but I couldn't have been prouder of my girls, who all indulged and enjoyed it enough to come back for seconds and thirds.

From what I gather, it's a dish you'd mostly find served in homes in the north, rather than in restaurants, but we found it in a restaurant in Stresa for lunch one day. We were staying on Lake Orta for that part of our trip and took the funivia to Stresa from Mottarone for a great day trip.

It tastes like good stew meat, and obviously goes well with a glass of Barolo or any other Nebbiolo. If you happen to be in that area, look for the Travaglini Gattinara.

Reaction Score
If you are heading to Rome, you can find great pizza in many of the restaurants around the Pantheon, as well as in Trastevere.

Other than pizza:

1. Truffles, always.
2. With chinghiale, even better.
3. If in the north, donkey. Look for it braised in Barolo.
4. Lardo.
5. Gelato at least once a day.

When I backpacked through Europe for weeks while studying in France, I hit Venice, Florence (day trips to Pisa and Sienna) and Rome. Florence was my favorite and I lived on Gelato. Stracciatella with shaved dark chocolate pieces was a personal favorite.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Finally got to Buffolina's on rt 1 in Guilford...whoa! All 'zas are 12" and the "Pere" is a wood-fired pie with pear, gorgonzola, bacon and carmelized red onions. Sweet Jesus it was flavorful and good. The $15 was a hit, tho.

Small place...it has a L-shaper counter for dining and a small cooking area. cozy....looks like a former breakfast joint.

Reaction Score
Before moving to Boynton Beach, Florida Sally's was the place to go (30 years). In the area of Florida I live in, Nick's New Haven style pizza is the place to go!!!

Reaction Score
upload_2016-11-2_14-55-32.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Partial to Papa Murphy's take home and bake pizza myself. Thin crust gorgonzola and sun dried tomato thin crust ... very tasty. Not that anyone asked. :oops: I'm hungry.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'd sooner go to the fourth nearest grocery store and get a frozen totino's pizza as opposed to Papa Johns... so Im not sure if thats a good deal for you guys or not.

Partial to Papa Murphy's take home and bake pizza myself. Thin crust gorgonzola and sun dried tomato thin crust ... very tasty. Not that anyone asked. :oops: I'm hungry.

:rolleyes:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Cambridge, Ohio. Wally's Pizza. You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Being from the New Haven area, I'm somewhat of a Pizza-Snob. That said, they are sponsoring an NHRA Drag Racer (Leah Pritchett's Top Fuel car) so, I'm willing to try it.

Anybody have any experience or suggestions as to which one to try?

BTW: Use Code Leah25 and you'll save some money.

Reaction Score
I prefer frozen Digiorno's thin crust supreme with anchovies added myself, although there are some good commercial ones out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom