OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 66 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Everyone does realize the Buzzfeed was based on Yelp reviews, correct?

Gotta love this about Delaware's. The reviewer had to point out the advantage of ordering the pizza fresh. Like that's some sort of insight.

“This pizza is the best in the area. I recommend getting a fresh pie if you are going to order more than a few slices. My favorite is their White Pizza, but their BBQ Chicen and then Chicken Alfredo come in second and third.” —Yelper KB

Reaction Score
How about Zuppardi's in West Haven? Next time I'm in CT. I'm going to do a pizza tour and wondering if Little Rendezvous and Zuppardi's should be on the list or if I should just stick with the big three.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How about Zuppardi's in West Haven? Next time I'm in CT. I'm going to do a pizza tour and wondering if Little Rendezvous and Zuppardi's should be on the list or if I should just stick with the big three.
Zuppardis is very good. If a bit pricey. But Im still a big 3 sucker.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
IMO, if you are venturing outside of the Holy Trinity +1 (Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, BAR), Bufalina in Guilford is the most worthy.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I always loved the fried dough with the pizza sauce and parmesan on top I used to get at Connecticut fairs as a kid.

That's a step up on this stuff. The crust is thick and bready. I think it's the fact that its served at room temperature that really bothers me.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Y'know I just had some of that stuff for the first time in years. I thought it hit the spot after a few beers.

It's at every event my kids have through sports teams. I think it's the fact that it's dirt cheap and served cold that makes it popular. I really can't take it even after a few beers.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 31
Reaction Score
IMO, if you are venturing outside of the Holy Trinity +1 (Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, BAR), Bufalina in Guilford is the most worthy.

Killing me I am going with my sales guy to the CT shoreline today and ending up in a very close vicinity of Guilford. Do I go Bufalina or a quick pop to Zuppardi's in West Haven to bring home som real pizza to the family? even reheating it is better than what we have in WesMass by far.

Anyway, I could also just do the sure thing and hit Modern - going to be a tough day leading up to this big decision.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Killing me I am going with my sales guy to the CT shoreline today and ending up in a very close vicinity of Guilford. Do I go Bufalina or a quick pop to Zuppardi's in West Haven to bring home som real pizza to the family? even reheating it is better than what we have in WesMass by far.

Anyway, I could also just do the sure thing and hit Modern - going to be a tough day leading up to this big decision.
Modern.

Reaction Score
The 21 Best College-Town Pizza Joints in America -- shout out to BAR in New Haven

>>YALE - BAR Pizza Address and Info NEW HAVEN, CT

New Haven isn't exactly hurting for great pizzerias, considering it's arguably home to the country's best (oblong) pies. So what sets BAR apart from beloved, coal-fired classics like Frank Pepe, Modern Apizza, and Sally's? It's a straight-up, raucous college club through and through, complete with rock shows and randy dance parties. Oh, and the pizza? It's a younger version of the New Haven style -- the crispy, rhombus-shaped pies are a touch thinner and cooked in a gas oven (not the old-school coal). The move here is the mashed potato pie with bacon on top. If it sounds like something only a student stoner could love, just know that Momofuku frontman David Chang is a fan. This is New Haven pizza in nightclub form. And in a town full of great pizza, it's the ultimate college bar mutation of the classic pie. <<

Reaction Score
I always loved the fried dough with the pizza sauce and parmesan on top I used to get at Connecticut fairs as a kid.
And it isn't always as bad as he described. Fried dough at the Holy Rosary Italian Festival in Ansonia is an annual tradition in the valley. It is deep fried in shortening, not oil. It is served hot, not cold. The sauce is made by old Italian ladies in the church kitchen, it isn't Ragu. Same with the dough. How do I know? That was the church I was baptised, confirmed and married in. I volunteered in that fried dough booth for years when I was in high school. I met my wife in that booth. She was stretching the dough and I was running the dough and sauce between the church and the booth. We started dating in the summer before senior year. That was 31 years ago.

Reaction Score
And it isn't always as bad as he described. Fried dough at the Holy Rosary Italian Festival in Ansonia is an annual tradition in the valley. It is deep fried in shortening, not oil. It is served hot, not cold. The sauce is made by old Italian ladies in the church kitchen, it isn't Ragu. Same with the dough. How do I know? That was the church I was baptised, confirmed and married in. I volunteered in that fried dough booth for years when I was in high school. I met my wife in that booth. She was stretching the dough and I was running the dough and sauce between the church and the booth. We started dating in the summer before senior year. That was 31 years ago.

"She was stretching the dough and I was running the dough and sauce between the church and the booth." ...wow...I guess volunteering has its benefits ...;)

Reaction Score

And anyone who eats fried dough with cinnamon and sugar should be punched in the face.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Let's be clear here:

Fried dough,while a wonderful treat when made well, is not pizza.

The RI abomination known as "party pizza" in no way, shape or form resembles either pizza or fried dough.

Reaction Score
The 21 Best College-Town Pizza Joints in America -- shout out to BAR in New Haven

>>YALE - BAR Pizza Address and Info NEW HAVEN, CT

New Haven isn't exactly hurting for great pizzerias, considering it's arguably home to the country's best (oblong) pies. So what sets BAR apart from beloved, coal-fired classics like Frank Pepe, Modern Apizza, and Sally's? It's a straight-up, raucous college club through and through, complete with rock shows and randy dance parties. Oh, and the pizza? It's a younger version of the New Haven style -- the crispy, rhombus-shaped pies are a touch thinner and cooked in a gas oven (not the old-school coal). The move here is the mashed potato pie with bacon on top. If it sounds like something only a student stoner could love, just know that Momofuku frontman David Chang is a fan. This is New Haven pizza in nightclub form. And in a town full of great pizza, it's the ultimate college bar mutation of the classic pie. <<

Whatever happened to Naples Pizza? That was a good college pizza place.

I guess it is now Wall Street? Tell me they didn't get rid of the old booths and tables.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Naples Pizza? That was a good college pizza place.

I guess it is now Wall Street? Tell me they didn't get rid of the old booths and tables.
They got pinched serving underage kids too many times; I think they had to change permittee and possibly ownership. I walk by it often but haven't been inside in several years so I don't know if they changed the interior, but I think it still serves essentially the same purpose as it always has.

Reaction Score
Bull****. Fried dough is a dessert. If I want pizza dough with sauce and cheese, I'll get pizza.

I disagree. I grew up in an Italian part of town and it was more an app or snack instead of a dessert. My friend's mom used to make little ones and she'd stuff an anchovy in the middle, fry it, the top it with garlic butter.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And anyone who eats fried dough with cinnamon and sugar should be punched in the face.

What about brushed with butter and covered with powdered sugar?

you post/handle so much that Im not even going to bother calling out your post/handles anymore

Reaction Score
I disagree. I grew up in an Italian part of town and it was more an app or snack instead of a dessert. My friend's mom used to make little ones and she'd stuff an anchovy in the middle, fry it, the top it with garlic butter.

Every time my grandfather or his brothers made pizza fritte, it was sprinkled with powdered sugar . . . these were people that lived in the most Italian of Italian neighborhoods.

Reaction Score
Every time my grandfather made pizza fritte, it was sprinkled with powdered sugar . . .

I have never had pizza fritte with powdered sugar, could never pass up on the tomato sauce option. Its funny people in VA have never heard of such a thing... pizza fritte.

Reaction Score
I have never had pizza fritte with powdered sugar, could never pass up on the tomato sauce option. Its funny people in VA have never heard of such a thing... pizza fritte.

A batch of pizza dough was always separated into two parts -- the first was baked with tomato, mushrooms spices and parmesan and served as pizza (even though it was more like a flatbread -- fairly bready and very little cheese). The second was fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar and sometimes crushed nuts.

My grandfather died in 2003 and I never tried to replicate his homemade pizza. Last year, in Disney of all places, I ordered a flatbread with mushrooms and grated cheese at one of the fast service food places at EPCOT. I took a bite, and I felt like Anton Ego . . .

Reaction Score
A batch of pizza dough was always separated into two parts -- the first was baked with tomato, mushrooms spices and parmesan and served as pizza (even though it was more like a flatbread -- fairly bready and very little cheese). The second was fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar and sometimes crushed nuts.

My grandfather died in 2003 and I never tried to replicate his homemade pizza. Last year, in Disney of all places, I ordered a flatbread with mushrooms and grated cheese at one of the fast service food places at EPCOT. I took a bite, and I felt like Anton Ego . . .

Ha ha, that is awesome. Yea coming from Stamford I've learned to make my own pizza being in Richmond VA. One of the best pizza places here is Mellow mushroom, a chain... That tells you what i have to work with here. I've never tried making pizza fritte with my dough though. I'll have to remember that next time I put together a batch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom