Best College Coaches? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best College Coaches?

Who is the best coach in college basketball today?

• Total voters

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The point of that article that you're unable to read is that a lot of successful division 1 coaches consider him the best bench coach around.
In fairness, the article talks about active coaches it seems. None of them have the experience Self has so I’d tend to agree.

The only ones close would be Izzo, Calipari, and Pitino. I’d for sure take Pitino, but there’s probably a lot of non-basketball reasons coaches wouldn’t vouch for him at the time of that article plus he was at Iona.

Self would be further down that list if he was ranked amongst his generation of coaches (K, Calhoun, Roy, Knight, etc.) With Calhoun, K, and Knight probably being the debate.

Also going to be very interesting to see who emerges from this new generation of coaches as the leaders and champions of the pack. Hurley has a pretty great jump on everyone else right now.

Reaction Score
The point of that article that you're unable to read is that a lot of successful division 1 coaches consider him the best bench coach around.
On3 asked college coaches who they thought are the best in-game coaches. A lot of coaches were mentioned. Surprised at the number of different responses.

Reaction Score
For me it's Pitino. Best X's and O's coach of all time. Only coach to win Titles at 2 different schools. 7 Final Four's at 3 different schools. The guy was a winner anywhere he went from Boston University, PC, Kentucky, Louisville, and Iona.

Reaction Score
Bobby Knight is insanely overrated, and I rate him higher than he should be just for beating Syracuse in 87. But lets face it, a broom could knock Boeheim out of a game that counts.
Knight overrated? Don't think so. Last Coach to go undefeated-went 66-1 from 74-76 seasons. One key injury away from 2 back to back undefeated seasons.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In fairness, the article talks about active coaches it seems. None of them have the experience Self has so I’d tend to agree.

The only ones close would be Izzo, Calipari, and Pitino. I’d for sure take Pitino, but there’s probably a lot of non-basketball reasons coaches wouldn’t vouch for him at the time of that article plus he was at Iona.

Self would be further down that list if he was ranked amongst his generation of coaches (K, Calhoun, Roy, Knight, etc.) With Calhoun, K, and Knight probably being the debate.

Also going to be very interesting to see who emerges from this new generation of coaches as the leaders and champions of the pack. Hurley has a pretty great jump on everyone else right now.
I don't think those are his generation of coaches. That's the prior generation, they are much older. His generation would include Jay Wright, Musselman, McDermott, Few. Self is 60.

Next Generation is Hurley, Smart, Oats, Cronin. Maybe Hubert Davis.

Scheyer, unfortunately, is the generation after that (36). But he may be on the Brad Stevens path. Stevens is still only 46.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On3 asked college coaches who they thought are the best in-game coaches. A lot of coaches were mentioned. Surprised at the number of different responses.

Seems like Self, Pitino and Painter are common choices. McDermott was good to see. I think he's excellent at it. Really has the team prepared to stop what you do and exploit what you don't do well.

Reaction Score
I don't think those are his generation of coaches. That's the prior generation, they are much older. His generation would include Jay Wright, Musselman, McDermott, Few. Self is 60.

Scheyer, unfortunately, is the generation after that (36). But he may be on the Brad Stevens path. Stevens is still only 46.
Why is it unfortunate that Scheyer is 36?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why is it unfortunate that Scheyer is 36?
Because I think he's good. I know you don't agree (yet), but I think he's got it and I really would rather see Duke decline rather than having a top coach for another 30 years.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Yeah I included all those guys in one group but it’s probably right to separate them into their own generation. Self has just been around so long I looped him in with the older heads there. Would’ve did the same with Wright too seeing all the battles he and Calhoun had.

Agreed on Scheyer too. Interesting year for him as he struggled during the regular season but got the troops together to win his tournament championship in his first year.

Hubert did go to a NC game his first year though too so we’ll have to see how Scheyer does year 2 (because Phew last year was ugly for UNC).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now that Danny Hurley has brought us another NC, he can reasonably be regarded as one of the best college basketball coaches. Between that epiphany and the threads on Bill Self, I started to wonder, who else should be rated as the best coaches in college basketball today. Is Calipari still great? Self?

I’m old, so I’ll start by throwing Tom Izzo out there; to me, he’s a guy who gets the maximum out of his players every year. Very rarely does Michigan State seem to “underperform,” and some years his teams go further than anyone could’ve reasonably anticipated.
Larranaga should be up there. Excellent coach.

Reaction Score
Other = Hurley, because he destroyed the field with one "honorable mention" player

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
A good coach can't win with bad players......a bad coach can win with good players.

In college ball: the best coaches are usually the best recruiters,

Reaction Score
No respect for Mark Few. Reminds me of Calhoun on building a program.
Likely to win a National Championship 24 - forward:
Hurley
McDermott
Miller
Smart

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No respect for Mark Few. Reminds me of Calhoun on building a program.
Likely to win a National Championship 24 - forward:
Hurley
McDermott
A. Miller
Smart

Gonna make Rhody fans happy ;)

Reaction Score
Knight overrated? Don't think so. Last Coach to go undefeated-went 66-1 from 74-76 seasons. One key injury away from 2 back to back undefeated seasons.
My HS coach had a hand-written notebook on the principles of man-to-man defense. Stuff he had compiled over years of coaching--what works and what does not. Probably a couple hundred pages of detailed notes.

He said that about half of it came from Bobby Knight in the 60's and 70's. From Knight's coaching clinics, and from just following Knight around and picking his brain when he could.

Once in a while he would pull out the notebook and drill us on one of the concepts. But he never let us see the pages. I was always dying to get my hands on it, LOL. I was a sponge, I wanted to know everything. I think some of my teammates were bored by it, and just wanted to run up and down the court and ball out.

You could see Knight's genius when he called a game on TV, too. He just saw the game at a different level. Al McGuire was the same way, for those old enough to remember him.

I am a lifelong fan of Jim Calhoun, but if I have to win one single game with my life at stake I am taking Knight as my coach. Of course I'd take Calhoun, and maybe Pitino or Larry Brown if I had to. Bill Self, no chance. Matt Painter? I would try to maneuver the other team into taking him.

We might remember Knight differently if his descent into alcoholism did not ruin him. And I guess that's part of judging a coach too. It's hard to reach your kids when you are choking them out.

Reaction Score
My HS coach had a hand-written notebook on the principles of man-to-man defense. Stuff he had compiled over years of coaching--what works and what does not. Probably a couple hundred pages of detailed notes.

He said that about half of it came from Bobby Knight in the 60's and 70's. From Knight's coaching clinics, and from just following Knight around and picking his brain when he could.

Once in a while he would pull out the notebook and drill us on one of the concepts. But he never let us see the pages. I was always dying to get my hands on it, LOL. I was a sponge, I wanted to know everything. I think some of my teammates were bored by it, and just wanted to run up and down the court and ball out.

You could see Knight's genius when he called a game on TV, too. He just saw the game at a different level. Al McGuire was the same way, for those old enough to remember him.

I am a lifelong fan of Jim Calhoun, but if I have to win one single game with my life at stake I am taking Knight as my coach. Of course I'd take Calhoun, and maybe Pitino or Larry Brown if I had to. Bill Self, no chance. Matt Painter? I would try to maneuver the other team into taking him.

We might remember Knight differently if his descent into alcoholism did not ruin him. And I guess that's part of judging a coach too. It's hard to reach your kids when you are choking them out.
JC was awfully good in single elimination games the latter half of his career. He was always great at negating the other team's primary advantage (Shaq, Brand etc.), so we could make a game of it with just about anyone. I'd have a tough time taking Knight over JC in a one off game with prep time.

Reaction Score
JC was awfully good in single elimination games the latter half of his career. He was always great at negating the other team's primary advantage (Shaq, Brand etc.), so we could make a game of it with just about anyone. I'd have a tough time taking Knight over JC in a one off game with prep time.

Calhoun was an absolute master of the scout. One of my mentors coached for him in the early 2000s and said how coach could remember some random 6th-man from a bad team and tell you every weakness in his game. Or he could draw you the sets the Georgetown was running in the BET a decade past.

Reaction Score

Bob Knight had a lot of flaws- He was not an alcoholic. I am not sure he even drank at all.
In many ways he was his own worst enemy.
As an IU student during the Hoosier glory days-Knight was a legend then.
He used to have a question and answer session each fall with students in the auditorium. Anyone brave enough to ask a question often got a hell of an answer from Knight. Graduating and going to class were just as important to him as winning.
Different era....

Reaction Score
Bob Knight had a lot of flaws- He was not an alcoholic. I am not sure he even drank at all.
He used to have a question and answer session each fall with students in the auditorium. Anyone brave enough to ask a question often got a hell of an answer from Knight. Graduating and going to class were just as important to him as winning.
Different era....
Heres a different take:

Reaction Score
Different era....
Flaws and all, I would have played for him if I were good enough.

What years were you at IU?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom