Best College Coaches? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best College Coaches?

Who is the best coach in college basketball today?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The consistency of Self's Big12 championships can't be overlooked.
Few has a ton, but the Big12 is a top 4 conference.

Reaction Score
3 of the 4 offered up have shady pasts, clouding how much is coach and how much is bag man securing great players. I could have made a case for K, Izzo & JC as 1/2/3 (not that order) once upon a time, but I think Izzo has lost a little on his fastball. Still very good, probably top 10.
Given he has won at multiple schools and just pulled off an impressive & dominant title run here, I would make the case that DH is currently the best coach in the game.
I don’t know if I agree that Izzo has lost something off his fastball, as much as his recruiting classes have declined. He seems to get most of his players from Michigan, and there’s only so many top recruits coming out of Flint and Lansing.

Reaction Score
Out of those 4

1. Self
2. Pitino
3. Izzo
4. Sampson

I think Izzo is incredibly overrated. He's always included in conversations with K, Roy Williams, Self, Calhoun, etc. but he only has one ring and he's been at MSU for like 30 years.
I don’t think Sampson belongs in the same conversation with Self, Pitino, and Izzo. I’d put Calipari or even Mick Cronin ahead of him.

Reaction Score
I voted for Sampson because he's 8-3 vs UConn since joining Houston. I don't know if anyone who's coached against UConn for 10 games or more has a better record.
That's not saying much, it was UConn's worst stretch in 35 years. UConn couldn't even beat Tulsa back then.

Reaction Score
Out of those 4

1. Self
2. Pitino
3. Izzo
4. Sampson

I think Izzo is incredibly overrated. He's always included in conversations with K, Roy Williams, Self, Calhoun, etc. but he only has one ring and he's been at MSU for like 30 years.
Don’t limit yourself to those 4 (only because I couldn’t think of more). Who else do you want there?

You think Izzo is overrated? I feel it’s more about the level of talent he’s been able to recruit. There’s only 7 ex-MSU players currently in the NBA, and only 3 were first round picks (Harris, Jackson, and Bridges).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don’t know if I agree that Izzo has lost something off his fastball, as much as his recruiting classes have declined. He seems to get most of his players from Michigan, and there’s only so many top recruits coming out of Flint and Lansing.
That was just my generic way of saying he's not at the same level he was in prior years. I'm not smart enough to know what has changed for him.

Reaction Score
Izzy is certainly a great coach but agree with a statement above about losing some mph on the fastball. But deserves to be a choice.

Self is a cheater, decent coach I’m sure but I can take his rosters to the tourney a lot and lose early too, .

Samson is a strange character, shady background but a very good coach without a doubt. Close one here.

Pitino is slick, scummy but can flat out coach can’t take that away from him. Don’t like him but he scares me this year because he will have his team playing hard. Would choose him to coach out of these guys.

There’s others that are going to be really good but have a ton to prove still. Despite the NC I’m afraid our Dan is still in other although I’d take him over Self and maybe Izzo now.

Reaction Score
Bill Self is the most consistent -- Kansas won like 12 conference regular season championships in a row, which is insane -- and also won a championship last year (2 in 15 years isn't UConn level, but it's pretty good).
Bill Self is a consistent cheater…..that much has been proven. He has also consistently failed in March. So if you want consistency, I guess you go with Self.

Reaction Score
Bill Self is a consistent cheater…..that much has been proven. He has also consistently failed in March. So if you want consistency, I guess you go with Self.

He has 2 championships and 4 Final Fours. 56-22 record in the tourney with a bunch of Elite 8s, including one at freaking Tulsa. I don't think it's reasonable to say he's a failure in March. The guy is a cheater, but a cheater who can coach a game of basketball pretty damn well.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How about this for a Mount Rushmore of living college coaches—-Coach K, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, and Bobby Knight?
Feel like I haven’t seen or heard of anything from Bobby Knight in ages.

Reaction Score
I just saw Roy Williams at Mohegan Sun for the Hall of Fame induction weekend. Roy was looking dapper!
Now that Danny Hurley has brought us another NC, he can reasonably be regarded as one of the best college basketball coaches. Between that epiphany and the threads on Bill Self, I started to wonder, who else should be rated as the best coaches in college basketball today. Is Calipari still great? Self?

I’m old, so I’ll start by throwing Tom Izzo out there; to me, he’s a guy who gets the maximum out of his players every year. Very rarely does Michigan State seem to “underperform,” and some years his teams go further than anyone could’ve reasonably anticipated.
If you’re throwing Sampson out there, then you’re definitely overlooking PJ and Digger, who both took struggling programs and turned them into powerhouses. Digger did it twice with ND and Fordham.

Reaction Score
He has 2 championships and 4 Final Fours. 56-22 record in the tourney with a bunch of Elite 8s, including one at freaking Tulsa. I don't think it's reasonable to say he's a failure in March. The guy is a cheater, but a cheater who can coach a game of basketball pretty damn well.
They have been a 1 seed 10 times and a 2 seed 4 times under Self. Never been worse than a 4 seed. In 20 years. And yet just 4 FF and those 2 NC, one because Memphis couldn’t make a free throw. Same story as Calipari, he gets the talent but doesn’t get the job done when it counts.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you’re throwing Sampson out there, then you’re definitely overlooking PJ and Digger, who both took struggling programs and turned them into powerhouses. Digger did it twice with ND and Fordham.
Are PJ and Digger the best college coaches today? That was the question. Hell, surprised you didn't mention Phog Allen.

Reaction Score
They have been a 1 seed 10 times and a 2 seed 4 times under Self. Never been worse than a 4 seed. In 20 years. And yet just 4 FF and those 2 NC, one because Memphis couldn’t make a free throw. Same story as Calipari, he gets the talent but doesn’t get the job done when it counts.
You're doing a wonderful job of proving how incredible he's been as a coach.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

'A national title every ten years, and a FF every five years = a great coach.

Reaction Score
'A national title every ten years, and a FF every five years = a great coach.

Nah don’t agree. Best rosters year after year, cheating to get those rosters and still not winning a ton of BIG games in the dance field? Underachiever for me, I’m good and respect other opinions but give JC those rosters every year he wouldve had 10 visits to FFs and 2-3 (5-6 easy)more under his name. And he’s a great coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pitino gets the nod for me. He's won the hardware as well as being the innovator the other's weren't.

Reaction Score
You're doing a wonderful job of proving how incredible he's been as a coach.
He gets great talent…..anyone can win in the regular season w great talent. Why hasn’t he done better in the tournament? Does they clear it up better for you??

Reaction Score
Nah don’t agree. Best rosters year after year, cheating to get those rosters and still not winning a ton of BIG games in the dance field? Underachiever for me, I’m good and respect other opinions but give JC those rosters every year he wouldve had 10 visits to FFs and 2-3 (5-6 easy)more under his name. And he’s a great coach.
100000%

Don’t get why people don’t see this. Really no different than Cal. I give him credit for being a great cheater and getting good talent. But if you are no worse than a 4 seed for 20 consecutive years, and a 1 seed for HALF of those, you’ve wildly underachieved if you’ve only made 4 FFs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom