Beer | Page 147 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Amen. I’ve been singing the praises of Jai Alai here for years—-I’m in Florida. It is as good a beer as there is anywhere.

As good a beer as there is anywhere? No. Definitely not. Not close really. As good a high volume, common shelf IPA as there is anywhere? Maybe. I like it. Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin is another quality widely distributed shelf beer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As good a beer as there is anywhere? No. Definitely not. Not close really. As good a high volume, common shelf IPA as there is anywhere? Maybe. I like it. Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin is another quality widely distributed shelf beer.
I didn't want to rain on the Jai Lai parade because I was one of the original big fans and proponents (probably documented a few dozen pages ago in this thread in fact), and because I rarely drink beer any more. But I agree, either the competition got better or Jai Lai got worse, because the last few times I had it it wasn't nearly as special as I used to think it was. Perfectly quaffable, but nothing more.

As for Lagunitas, I always liked Hop Stoopid and thought it was a good value.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A friend of mine was up in Middlebury this weekend and brought me home four-packs of Heady Topper and Focal Banger. I think Heady is better in the can; I tried it poured and didn't enjoy it quite as much. I'll have to see when I'm done with each 4-pack which beer I like better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A friend of mine was up in Middlebury this weekend and brought me home four-packs of Heady Topper and Focal Banger. I think Heady is better in the can; I tried it poured and didn't enjoy it quite as much. I'll have to see when I'm done with each 4-pack which beer I like better.

It's better in a can than in a crappy shaker pint glass. It's not better in a can than in a good goblet style IPA glass, or the Spieglau IPA glass. I don't care what Jon K. says, he came up with that during a time when shaker pint glasses were all anyone had, and he wanted working class types to buy his beer.

I find a 50-50 split among people on which is better. I find very few people who like Crusher better.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's better in a can than in a crappy shaker pint glass. It's not better in a can than in a good goblet style IPA glass, or the Spieglau IPA glass. I don't care what Jon K. says, he came up with that during a time when shaker pint glasses were all anyone had, and he wanted working class types to buy his beer.

I find a 50-50 split among people on which is better. I find very few people who like Crusher better.

I poured mine in a tulip glass. And I'm not sure what Crusher is?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I poured mine in a tulip glass. And I'm not sure what Crusher is?

another Alchemist beer.

You're not missing much. Its fine. But just fine.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ah. My friend brought back a few other beers with him, so I'm guessing he has one or two of those in his fridge.

Reaction Score
It still tastes great. A worthy constant in the fridge, Waq!
Its widely available b/c they stopped 'just' making it in VT and now outsource production - but from my taste its the same as it ever was, definitely a staple in the fridge.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Its widely available b/c they stopped 'just' making it in VT and now outsource production - but from my taste its the same as it ever was, definitely a staple in the fridge.

It's been made at Two Roads in Stratford for a few years now. I don't think they brew it in VT at all anymore. That may change when the new brewery comes on line in the fall. Agree it's still good, and I think it's because Sean Lawson doesn't use Two Roads as a contract brewer, he drives down and brews it on their equipment.

Double Sunshine is better, and Triple Sunshine is off the charts. I'm really hoping we get more of those once the new brewery is open. Work on Lawson’s Finest brewery and taproom progresses

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I noticed that Eli Cannons has several beers from Fox Farms in Salem. I never heard of the place before. Does anyone have a scouting report?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I noticed that Eli Cannons has several beers from Fox Farms in Salem. I never heard of the place before. Does anyone have a scouting report?
All the ones I have tasted from them have been very good; as I've stated I don't drink much beer anymore but I still sample and I know that all my beer-snob friends say they are great, so I would trust anything from them if you like the style.

Reaction Score

Fox Farm is excellent. I think they may be the best in Connecticut.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fox Farm is excellent. I think they may be the best in Connecticut.
I agree. I had the Daylily and enjoyed it very much. Looks like a drive to Salem is in my future.

Reaction Score
I agree. I had the Daylily and enjoyed it very much. Looks like a drive to Salem is in my future.

It's worth the trip. It's a gorgeous brewery that was converted from an old barn. They constantly have 5 or more different styles of beer available, which is a nice change considering the apparent never ending IPA craze. The owner studied his craft in Belgium and the second brewer recently left a brewery in Norway.

Zyto (sour Kvass) and Alta (NE IPA) were two of the best beers I had last year.

Reaction Score
Help! Coming down I- 91 to visit friend in Rocky Hill & will go to Still Hill brewery, but on trip down, any recommended package stores to get great CT beer?
Thanks!

Reaction Score
In Aruba this week and drinking the local beer, Balashi. It’s a pilsener and it’s pretty awful on its own.....except when you’re by the pool and it’s 86 with a cool breeze and no clouds in the sky, they go down great.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Help! Coming down I- 91 to visit friend in Rocky Hill & will go to Still Hill brewery, but on trip down, any recommended package stores to get great CT beer?
Thanks!
Most decent sized packys seem to have some CT selections. For an alternative, I'm really enjoying Hooker beers these days. They have a tap room in Hartford where they sell cans and it's only about a mile from I-91.

Thomas Hooker Brewery at Colt
140 Huyshope Ave, Hartford, CT 06106

Reaction Score
Had been a fan of Wachusett Wally...and just saw today, for the first time, Wachusett Wally Jr.
Another citrus-y hazy NE IPA, main diff is that the Jr is just 4.5% ABV, vs 7% for the regular.
I like some "citrus-ness", but not necessarily fruit taste in a beer...anyone tried Wally Grapefruit?

Reaction Score
990D0F1D-C38F-4177-B979-B957E3C8F5AE.jpeg
A little off topic but I was watching the Andre The Giant doc on hbo and I think it was the Nature Boy who said he saw ATG consume 105 beers one time

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am sure others have mentioned the Trilliums and Tree Houses of the beer world, and they should be if we are talking IPAs, but in my opinion they do not do much else that stellar. At least Tree House does not. I cannot speak to Trillium as I have only had their IPAs.

With that said I have really only been drinking CT beers for the past year and for a small state there are a bunch of very good breweries. Not sure if anybody has mentioned Kent Falls, but I think they are the best brewery in thd state right now. They put out a bunch of different styles and do them all pretty well and I do not see many other breweries messing around with gose, saisons, sours, and farmhouse ales. Their IPAs are solid too. Not on the Tree House/Trillium level (not many are) but they are very good and you do not have to wait in lines for them either at the brewery or store.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Over in the UK for a bit for work and have been trying out many of the British beers. Good news is their stouts are just as terrible as stouts are in the US.

Been focusing on English Pale Ales. Started with some that I've had in the US as a baseline- Old Speckled Hen and Abbot's Ale. Decent. After much sampling Bombardier Glorious English Ale has been the best. Drinks best when it is cool. Not room temp, not ice cold, just cool.

Bombardier Glorious English Ale | Wells & Young's Ltd

upload_2018-5-4_10-36-14.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I am sure others have mentioned the Trilliums and Tree Houses of the beer world, and they should be if we are talking IPAs, but in my opinion they do not do much else that stellar. At least Tree House does not. I cannot speak to Trillium as I have only had their IPAs.

With that said I have really only been drinking CT beers for the past year and for a small state there are a bunch of very good breweries. Not sure if anybody has mentioned Kent Falls, but I think they are the best brewery in thd state right now. They put out a bunch of different styles and do them all pretty well and I do not see many other breweries messing around with gose, saisons, sours, and farmhouse ales. Their IPAs are solid too. Not on the Tree House/Trillium level (not many are) but they are very good and you do not have to wait in lines for them either at the brewery or store.

Trillium makes superb stouts, porters and is known for their outstanding sour beers and Saisons. That's what they started with. Their signature beer "Trillium" is a Saison/Farmhouse beer.

Treehouse makes a great ESB (Old Man), and probably the best Brown Ale I've had, Bear. Their stouts, like Double Shot, are amazing.

What neither do is make traditional German style lagers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom