Beer | Page 94 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Neighbor just texted me...and is bringing me some Sap and "Ma" from Treehouse. This is how paying it forward works, since I shared some Julius (his first TH beer) with him a week ago.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I was at a bottle share several months ago and I brought some wonderful rare beers that had been in my beer fridge for more than ten years, including an early 2000s Stille Nacht from De Dolle and some Cantillion Gueze of a similar vintage. I had confidence that those would still be very good, but the surprise of the night was a beer I brought as an extra to share as a novelty, 3 Floyds Dreadnaught IPA bomber that was around 12 years old. I figured it would be interesting to see if it had any life left, and it was still quite good, shockingly.

*sort of*

When it comes to freshness - LIGHT kills, not temp. The fact it was in your fridge means it stayed in the dark.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5773-preserving-beer-freshness

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
*sort of*

When it comes to freshness - LIGHT kills, not temp. The fact it was in your fridge means it stayed in the dark.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5773-preserving-beer-freshness

It's both really. Light is what will cause a beer to become "skunked" in the old vernacular. Nearly every Heineken I've ever had suffered from light stroke. Pilsner Urquell was about to stop importing it was so bad, but switched to brown bottles with low light packaging and cans instead.

But cold will absolutely slow the breakdown of the hops, oxidation and preserve the flavors in any hoppy beer longer. I've had canned Heady Topper that sat on a warm kitchen floor and canned Heady Topper that sat in a refrigerator, and there's no comparison. No light is getting through that can.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Every Heineken I ever drank from a bottle was skunked. I thought that was the Heineken taste. Then the cool keg cans came out and Heineken was soooo much better.

Reaction Score
Every Heineken I ever drank from a bottle was skunked. I thought that was the Heineken taste. Then the cool keg cans came out and Heineken was soooo much better.
I was in Amsterdam this summer, and on a canal cruise they offered us beer. The only option was Heineken, so I was upset. Then I cracked one open and realized the crap I'd tasted all these years.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
How long do you guys go before drinking a beer can rom Treehouse or Trillium or Alchemist, for example, that's been sitting in your fridge? Right now I've got the Triulliums and Treehouses that have been in my fridge for 3 weeks. At the same time, I don't watch the freshness to disappear on me.
No matter how long you wait to drink a Treehouse beer, it will be better than any other libation you have.

Reaction Score
So, I'm not a beer aficionado by any means but this weekend, went to a brew pub in South Carolina called Edmunds Oast.

http://edmundsoast.com/content/uploads/2014/01/Draft-Menu-155.pdf

I had their Blackberry Bathos (#14 on the attached list) and it was a "sour ale". I never had a sour ale before and I really liked it. I like dry red wines and don't like hoppy beers or sweet drinks, in general.

Any advice on sour ales I could buy and try over the counter?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I concur.

I wonder if he's really say the same now. Back then, shaker pint glasses were all anyone used. He'll never take the words off the can, but they aren't on the Focal Banger can, I don't think.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, I'm not a beer aficionado by any means but this weekend, went to a brew pub in South Carolina called Edmunds Oast.

I had their Blackberry Bathos (#14 on the attached list) and it was a "sour ale". I never had a sour ale before and I really liked it. I like dry red wines and don't like hoppy beers or sweet drinks, in general.

Where do you live? I'm not a sour beer fan. It's funny, I started as a wine aficionado, and one of the reasons I don't much like sour or wild fermented beers is because the flavors from the yeast and bacteria are indications of spoilage in wine and would cause the winemaker to dump the whole batch.

Sours are definitely in at the moment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Go to OEC in Oxford, probably making the best sours in this country, due in part to their partnership with one of the best importers of sours in the world. Their beers are really off the charts great.

As I mentioned upthread, Hermit Thrush out of Brattleboro, VT is making and canning some very good sours.

New Belgium from Fort Collins, CO has recently become available in CT and they have some great sours, including La Folie and their whole Lips of Faith Series. I have seen them on tap in CT so I imagine you can get them in bottles, too. I would ask for them at your local.

New Glarus out of Wisconsin makes some stunning sours but I don't think you can get them in CT.

It is really something that the Belgians have mastered, and that's where you'll still find the best. Anything from Cantillion will be extraordinary. Also look for Brown Sour Ales like Flanders Oud Bruin and Red Sours like Rodenbach.

The Bruery out of CA is another American brewer making great sours.

You should also try the Saisons from Two Roads and Kent Falls, which tend on the sour side as well, although not as lip-puckering as most of the ones above.

NB: Too many sours in one sitting can cause gastric distress.

Reaction Score
Where do you live? I'm not a sour beer fan. It's funny, I started as a wine aficionado, and one of the reasons I don't much like sour or wild fermented beers is because the flavors from the yeast and bacteria are indications of spoilage in wine and would cause the winemaker to dump the whole batch.

Sours are definitely in at the moment.

I'm in CT. Northwestern quadrant. Close to MA.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm in CT. Northwestern quadrant. Close to MA.

You might look for some Allagash beers on shelves (most anything with a cork). Nancy is good. Locally, I hear OEC Brewing in Oxford is very good with sours. I don't know if Wicked Weed or Jolly Pumpkin are available there, but they are known for sours as is The Bruery from San Diego (generally sold in New England). That's all domestic stuff. There's plenty from Belgium of course.

Reaction Score
Welp, New England Brewing Company is releasing Fuzzy Baby Ducks today! I'm bringing two of my growlers with me to fill up. easy choice

PS I probably shouldn't have posted this if I want the line to be shorter...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Welp, New England Brewing Company is releasing Fuzzy Baby Ducks today! I'm bringing two of my growlers with me to fill up. easy choice

PS I probably shouldn't have posted this if I want the line to be shorter...

I've still never had it. Never even had GBot

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you like DIPAs then it's worth waiting in line to get it.
I agree that FBD is excellent and well worth going out of your way for, but at around 6.2% ABV I don't think it's a DIPA. That's why they have Double Fuzzy (I prefer the regular).

I would consider Gandhi-Bot a DIPA/Imperial IPA at 8.8%. Also a great beer.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree that FBD is excellent and well worth going out of your way for, but at around 6.2% ABV I don't think it's a DIPA. That's why they have Double Fuzzy (I prefer the regular).

I would consider Gandhi-Bot a DIPA/Imperial IPA at 8.8%. Also a great beer.

I agree it's not as strong as most DIPAs, but it reminds me more of a double based on how it tastes and the mouthfeel.

EDIT: And I don't know if NEBCO changed the formula at all when they changed the name to G-Bot, but I like the beer more now than I used to. Terrific.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he's really say the same now. Back then, shaker pint glasses were all anyone used. He'll never take the words off the can, but they aren't on the Focal Banger can, I don't think.

But did notice they weren't on Broken Spoke or Crusher.

1-The-Alchemist1.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have no anatomical or other proof to support this theory, but I always wondered if the reason the Alchemist said to drink HT from the can was because that made it more likely that the beer would hit your tongue in the area where your taste buds are most receptive to the bracing hop explosion.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you like DIPAs then it's worth waiting in line to get it.

I do, but live in MA, so don't really have access to it.

Reaction Score
I have no anatomical or other proof to support this theory, but I always wondered if the reason the Alchemist said to drink HT from the can was because that made it more likely that the beer would hit your tongue in the area where your taste buds are most receptive to the bracing hop explosion.

I also have no proof , but I was always under the impression the brewers were trying to hide how cloudy the beer was back when they started canning. The IPA/DIPA craze hadn't fully developed and may have turned people off.

Reaction Score
I do, but live in MA, so don't really have access to it.
A guy I was in line with at NEBCo came to the Fuzzy Baby Ducks release all the way from Chicago! At least you don't have to hop on a plane lol. It's a very good beer, I need a few more glasses to see how I rank it, but that and Double Fuzzy Baby Ducks are fantastic (again I think they are just as good as Trillium). Locust Reign is great too, but I'm a FBD guy.

NEBCo opened at 3 and there was a pretty big line at 2 PM (Not as big as I've seen at Treehouse though), and they had a pig roast there selling pulled pork sandwiches and other good food for people to buy waiting in line. It's great, people were waiting in line outside drinking G-Bots, someone had Sip of Sunshine, and talking about nothing but beer. Someone mentioned that we all have to try Dogs and Boats from Beer'd, I even heard a good conversation about Sours-perfect for you 8893!

Oh and I tried Doppelganger from Treehouse today, I honestly don't know how they do it! Such a beautiful beer lol.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A guy I was in line with at NEBCo came to the Fuzzy Baby Ducks release all the way from Chicago! At least you don't have to hop on a plane lol. It's a very good beer, I need a few more glasses to see how I rank it, but that and Double Fuzzy Baby Ducks are fantastic (again I think they are just as good as Trillium). Locust Reign is great too, but I'm a FBD guy.

NEBCo opened at 3 and there was a pretty big line at 2 PM (Not as big as I've seen at Treehouse though), and they had a pig roast there selling pulled pork sandwiches and other good food for people to buy waiting in line. It's great, people were waiting in line outside drinking G-Bots, someone had Sip of Sunshine, and talking about nothing but beer. Someone mentioned that we all have to try Dogs and Boats from Beer'd, I even heard a good conversation about Sours-perfect for you 8893!

Oh and I tried Doppelganger from Treehouse today, I honestly don't know how they do it! Such a beautiful beer lol.

Yeah, but I live 20 minutes from Trillium and work 50 minutes from Treehouse. Plus I have a house in Vermont. So it's just not worth it. Picked up Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells today....love that beer.

Dogs and Boats is good, but I prefer Hobbit Juice. Had it and Dogs and Capsized Boats at Beervana.

Reaction Score
Neighbor just texted me...and is bringing me some Sap and "Ma" from Treehouse. This is how paying it forward works, since I shared some Julius (his first TH beer) with him a week ago.

Nice. Jealous of the Ma. Darn UConn hockey and football last weekend getting in my way of a trip to Tree House. Did go today and got some fresh Julius and Doppelganger though. Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom