Beer | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I love that I've got Hill Farmstead on tap close to me..

And this is tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 88
Reaction Score
Checked out a new beer place in Derby yesterday, The Hops Company, on the site that was formerly Grassy Hill Lodge. Very cool spot, kind of like a modern beer hall. 35+ taps, fireplace, huge Jenga game, corn hole, foosball, lots of flat screens. Two food windows, one serving Zuppardi's pizza and the other serving Ricky D.'s BBQ.

Most importantly, quality taps, including the newest IPA from Kent Falls, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, or "Shruggie," which is awesome.

When I grow up I want to be you - pizza, wings and beer guru ;) and best of all Husky fan!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fixed it for you.
My favorite Brewery, but after having the latest batch of Fuzzy Baby Ducks Saturday night, it gives the Hill IPA's a serious run. Best batch yet.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
NEBCO is open from 1-7 today, and they have Fuzzy Baby Ducks. I won't be able to make it, but wanted to give the rest of you a heads up. Be prepared to wait in line!

Reaction Score
Are we at the point of IPAs being very similar to each other and not hard to make?

The good ones are really good but don't seem to vary from one to the next. In August I picked up some Heady Topper in Bennington. In September I had some Hill Farmstead on draft at a place in Buffalo. Yesterday I picked up some Lawson's Sip of Sunshine in New Haven, as well as some NEBCO Sea Hag.

There are only small differences between these beers. Certainly not enough to make me go loopy.

I love trying new beers, and I am within walking distance of a place with 40 taps with craft beers from around the world. I go there and spend about $35 on 4 beers about once a week.

Recently, a burger restaurant opened up a block over from me by the same owners of the gastropub. They are offering flights, four 5oz glasses for $8. Better for my wallet, and better for me sobriety. So I tried a couple of Belgians, one Against the Grain from Kentucky, and local Buffalo IPA by Community Beer Works. The local IPA read 6% alcohol on the menu. I loved it. Thought it was one of the best I'd ever had, certainly right up there with those mentioned above. So I went to the local microbrewer, sat down, had their barleywine untapped that night, and asked to fill my growler with the IPA. But just before they were about to pour, I noticed the alcohol was at 5%. So I asked what accounted for the difference in alcohol between the batches. They said it's always 5%. So I said that the burger joint lists it at 6% for some reason. They said that was a proprietary IPA that they only brew occasionally, and that when it's done, it's done for many months. And that the burger joint was on its last keg. They also said that people grab it up when they brew it but they save a couple kegs for local bars/restaurants. So I asked them why they don't brew more. But they didn't have an answer.

Can't understand that. They are brewing 10 different beers, but will not brew the one that everyone seems to want.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hill Farmstead = the best IPA's

They are amazing. No better than Trillium, Treehouse, Alchemist and some others really. Had HF Harlan in VT last weekend, and the Prohibition Pig IPA was better, much better. Had it been Abner, maybe not. But everything HF makes is great.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are we at the point of IPAs being very similar to each other and not hard to make?

The good ones are really good but don't seem to vary from one to the next. In August I picked up some Heady Topper in Bennington. In September I had some Hill Farmstead on draft at a place in Buffalo. Yesterday I picked up some Lawson's Sip of Sunshine in New Haven, as well as some NEBCO Sea Hag.

There are only small differences between these beers. Certainly not enough to make me go loopy.

I love trying new beers, and I am within walking distance of a place with 40 taps with craft beers from around the world. I go there and spend about $35 on 4 beers about once a week.

Recently, a burger restaurant opened up a block over from me by the same owners of the gastropub. They are offering flights, four 5oz glasses for $8. Better for my wallet, and better for me sobriety. So I tried a couple of Belgians, one Against the Grain from Kentucky, and local Buffalo IPA by Community Beer Works. The local IPA read 6% alcohol on the menu. I loved it. Thought it was one of the best I'd ever had, certainly right up there with those mentioned above. So I went to the local microbrewer, sat down, had their barleywine untapped that night, and asked to fill my growler with the IPA. But just before they were about to pour, I noticed the alcohol was at 5%. So I asked what accounted for the difference in alcohol between the batches. They said it's always 5%. So I said that the burger joint lists it at 6% for some reason. They said that was a proprietary IPA that they only brew occasionally, and that when it's done, it's done for many months. And that the burger joint was on its last keg. They also said that people grab it up when they brew it but they save a couple kegs for local bars/restaurants. So I asked them why they don't brew more. But they didn't have an answer.

Can't understand that. They are brewing 10 different beers, but will not brew the one that everyone seems to want.

This is common. Certain hops are quite scarce, meaning beers using those hops in the formula can't be made in volume. Fiddlehead has this problem with Mastermind and there are many other examples.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

From what I recall of Fuzzy Baby Ducks, that and Sip of Sunshine were very similar, and they both use Citra hops so it's not too surprising. Sea Hag, while tremendous and one of my favorites, doesn't remind me of SoS at all. I think the creativity and quality of the specific brewers is where you'll taste the difference. Much like eating a burger at McDonald's and another at Bobby Flay's Burger Palace are completely different experiences.

Reaction Score
From what I recall of Fuzzy Baby Ducks, that and Sip of Sunshine were very similar, and they both use Citra hops so it's not too surprising. Sea Hag, while tremendous and one of my favorites, doesn't remind me of SoS at all. I think the creativity and quality of the specific brewers is where you'll taste the difference. Much like eating a burger at McDonald's and another at Bobby Flay's Burger Palace are completely different experiences.

Agree....for local stuff, love Sea Hag for a local IPA. Stony Creek Big Cranky and Firefly Cone Flakes IIPA (they just started canning these last week)

Outside of CT....for me, you can't beat Treehouse Julius IPA (it really deserves the 100 rating Beer Advocate gave it) and any of the Hill Farmstead offerings.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hmmm, I've seen Big Cranky and wasn't sure what to think of it. I'll have to give it a try sometime, thanks. Hoping Firefly Hollow starts distributing those Cone Flakes cans, because I've been wanting to try it. Although I'm only about 30 mins from the brewery, so I should stop making excuses and just go up there sometime.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hmmm, I've seen Big Cranky and wasn't sure what to think of it. I'll have to give it a try sometime, thanks. Hoping Firefly Hollow starts distributing those Cone Flakes cans, because I've been wanting to try it. Although I'm only about 30 mins from the brewery, so I should stop making excuses and just go up there sometime.
I find Big Cranky to be okay. Not as good as Lil Heaven (Two Roads). I really like the Little Cranky as a session IPA. Home run for me.

I will be at Stony Creek Sunday for a birthday party. Bringing a funnel.

Reaction Score
I survived the Treehouse Brewing line today. The place opened at 2:00 for the holiday hours. Got there at 2:00. The line was out the door, across the parking lot, up the driveway and down the road. Two hours and 20 minutes to get in the door. Luckily it was a nice day and we made some friends jawing in line. 8 Julius', 8 Greens, 8 Hazes.

IMG_1378.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fuzzy Baby Ducks on tap tomorrow night at Maggie McFly's in Middlebury.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I've been frequenting Steady Habit in Haddam lately. Their Method IPA has been killing it. Also love the Geek Nip DIPA.

Just killed off my stash of That's What She Said milk stout from Treehouse over the T-giving weekend.

Reaction Score
I've been frequenting Steady Habit in Haddam lately. Their Method IPA has been killing it. Also love the Geek Nip DIPA.

Just killed off my stash of That's What She Said milk stout from Treehouse over the T-giving weekend.

I'm still trying to plan a Saturday roadtrip down Rte. 9 to Steady Habit and Stubborn Beauty.

Reaction Score
Love Sea Hag and have it every time I come back to CT. Here in PA, my latest favorite is Victory Dirt Wolf.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to plan a Saturday roadtrip down Rte. 9 to Steady Habit and Stubborn Beauty.
Keep me posted. Those two are on my list as well. I'd love to meet up for this if possible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Love Sea Hag and have it every time I come back to CT. Here in PA, my latest favorite is Victory Dirt Wolf.

Dirt wolf is very good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sip of sunshine is easier to get in CT than VT right now because off two roads. Works to our benefit!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom