BEER ON SUNDAYSSS!!!!! | The Boneyard

BEER ON SUNDAYSSS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Hope it happens today. Its not that I don't drink on Sunday but its the whole planning ahead of 9pm Saturday night which makes it tough and if i do then not drinking it or losing it to who ever is around. How many times I have bought more than a usual serving for my Saturday night and on Sunday the fridge is empty...Just how is. CT needs to drop the laws like this stuff. Liquor storrs should be open until 10 and gas station and other stores should be able to sell. Sell on all days to 10pm. Stop the stupid crap.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Our Puritan forefathers and foremothers would be aghast. Then again, they'd probably freak out over clothes with any color on them other than black, and think that TVs and cellphones were witchcraft.

On another note, it sounds like Spring Weekend is dead.

Reaction Score
i forget how silly the CT liquor laws are. i used to live right near the NY border and i guarentee nobody liked that law better than the gas station right over the border that would sell a twelve of Bud light for $15. i never saw the point in driving CT consumers out of state to buy beer

Reaction Score
Was in Stop & Shop last night (oblivious to the fact that it was Sunday) picking up some groceries and had an urge to pick up a 6 pack only to see the big green canvas draped over the entire beer selection.

One of the dumbest laws still on the books. It seems like a no brainer to me. Then I think of all the useful idiot elected officials in CT and I wonder......

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Just be glad you don't live in friggen Pennsylvania. If I want to buy beer at a decent price I have to drive 45 minutes to NJ or buy a case. The only places around here that have six packs are restaurants and they charge you twice the price. It's not that I mind buying a case of beer at once.. it's that I'd like to mix it up a bit. I usually stock up in Connecticut when I visit the parents.

Ohh and no beer at liquor stores... it's a pain in the butt to have to stop at two places... plus up until recently we had the no Sunday sales laws... at least that's liberalized.

Reaction Score
This is a prime example of a monopoly running protecting itself. Do we protect mom & pop crocery stores? Gas stations (actually we do in Ct but that's another, equally silly law) department stores?, And the funny thing is that the same people opposing the liquor sale laws will yell and scream about government intervention and the free market!

Reaction Score
The ironic part of the Sunday ban is that it doesn't keep people from drinking at all. It just forces them to hop in their car and drive to the bar.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just be glad you don't live in friggen Pennsylvania. If I want to buy beer at a decent price I have to drive 45 minutes to NJ or buy a case. The only places around here that have six packs are restaurants and they charge you twice the price. It's not that I mind buying a case of beer at once.. it's that I'd like to mix it up a bit. I usually stock up in Connecticut when I visit the parents.

Ohh and no beer at liquor stores... it's a pain in the butt to have to stop at two places... plus up until recently we had the no Sunday sales laws... at least that's liberalized.
Ahhh, the good old beer distributor. There was nothing weirder that walking into the local watering hole, taking a seat at the bar and asking for a 6 or 12 pack of beer X. I don't miss that, but I do miss Yeungling.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear for those who don't know, while Connecticut's Sunday blue laws originated for religious purposes, the ban on sale of alcohol which we are left with has zippo to do with morals or religion. It has one thousand per cent to do with the organization that represents mom and pop liquor stores and the strength of their lobby in Hartford. That was the single most powerful lobbying force at the capital back in the late 70s and early 80s and it remains so today.

It is simply to allow the mom and pop owners to not have to compete with bigger establishments that can more easily stay open 24 and 7.

And Freescooter is 100% correct -- many of those owners are among the first to moan about too much government every time the state makes them do something they would prefer not doing.

Reaction Score
Hope it happens today. Its not that I don't drink on Sunday but its the whole planning ahead of 9pm Saturday night which makes it tough and if i do then not drinking it or losing it to who ever is around. How many times I have bought more than a usual serving for my Saturday night and on Sunday the fridge is empty...Just how **** is. CT needs to drop the ****ty laws like this stuff. Liquor storrs should be open until 10 and gas station and other stores should be able to sell. Sell on all days to 10pm. Stop the stupid crap.

Isn't this supposed to be about UConn football? If the state of CT wants to put a law in for beer sales -- who cares. It isn't about UConn football...

Myself, the state should worry about keeping CITIZENS in the state rather than driving them out with their ANTI BUSINESS TAXES and REGULATIONS!! Colt broke ground in Florida for a new factory, because of Florida's business friendly taxes (no income taxes), a RIGHT TO WORK state and lower cost of energy. The state should be worried more about that, than rather beer should be sold on Sundays!!

Or well.. that is what you get with a LIBERAL!!

Reaction Score
If you own a liquor store booze on Sundays is not a good idea. You won't make much (if any) more money, and you lost your one day off. Of course you could keep Sunday as an off day, but you have to pay someone to run your store.

Reaction Score
Isn't thius supposed to be about UConn football? If the state of CT wants to put a law in for beer sales -- who cares. It isn't about UConn football...

Myself, the state should worry about keeping CITIZENS in the state rather than driving them out with their ANTI BUSINESS TAXES and REGULATIONS!! Colt broke ground in Florida for a new factory, because of Florida's business friendly taxes (no income taxes), a RIGHT TO WORK state and lower cost of energy. The state should be worried more about that, than rather beer should be sold on Sundays!!

Or well.. that is what you get with a LIBERAL!!

LMAO. How many posts have you made keeping the thread about hockey alive on the football board? LIke most Republicans, zero clue of the existence of the word "hypocrisy."

Reaction Score
At least...it is comments about the subject... beer on Sundays, is not anything to do with UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just to be clear for those who don't know, while Connecticut's Sunday blue laws originated for religious purposes, the ban on sale of alcohol has zippo to do with morals or religion. It has one thousand per cent to do with the organization that represents mom and pop liquor stores and the strength of their lobby in Hartford. That was the single most powerful lobbying force at the capital back in the late 70s and early 80s and it remains so today.

It is simple to allow the mom and pop owners to not have to compete with bigger establishments that can more easily stay open 24 and 7.

And Freescooter is 100% correct -- many of those owners are among the first to moan about every time the state makes them do something they would prefer not doing.
Kind of a sidebar, but it's interesting to note the different business models adapted in America. My wife's aunt owns a nail salon/spa. She's open 7 days a week, works 7 days a week and if customers walk in at close, she'll stay as late as it takes. The nail salons in the Boston area are largely owned by vietnamese immigrants or first gen, very cash-heavy and fairly profitable because of that. Most are open 7 days, although there are exceptions.
Here we have a subset of business owners who take the opposite approach - let's guarantee ourselves a day off and make sure noone else can take our sales - who cares if there's money to be made (because the same people who were going to my store on Sunday are coming back on Monday or Tuesday).

Reaction Score
I certainly apologize for calling you a Republican. I accept that those may be fighting words.

:) I was a Republican in Connecticut, but I voted for Democrats a few times (Ella Grasso, Joe Lieberman, Bill O'neil, John Larson, Tim Larson (East Hartford's mayor)). Down here, the Republican Party is too far SOCIALLY CONSERVATIVE for my taste -- they are against a few issues I do support (gay marriage, for one). Florida's Democrats are ALMOST more conservative than the CT Republican Party!!

Reaction Score
The Package Story Lobby has a whole list of reasons they've been protecting these arcane laws:

1. No Sunday Sales because Sunday is the biggest grocery/shopping day and an enormous amount of people would get their alchohol from gocery stores on Sunday.
2. This is the exact same reason they don't want grocery stores to be able to sell wine.
3. No beer at gas stations because they don't want to compete with more convenience stores (the entire premise that this encourages drinking and driving is hilarious)
4. Price protection (stores cannot sell alcohol at a loss) and chain protection (package story owners can't own more than a couple of package stores) -- there's no real premise behind this other than GRRR BIG BUSINESSES.

They are slowly losing the war, but it is a sad state that it has taken this long to start getting some reasonable alcohol laws in this state.

Reaction Score
I'm OK with the new law. But if you have a problem with six days in advance to plan for your Sunday binge and can't seem to get it right, maybe you shouldn't be drinking.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm OK with the new law. But if you have a problem with six days in advance to plan for your Sunday binge and can't seem to get it right, maybe you shouldn't be drinking.

guess i shouldn't be drinking then.

Reaction Score

You could say the same thing about buying clothes, so we should make it illegal to buy clothes on Sundays? Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
You could say the same thing about buying clothes, so we should make it illegal to buy clothes on Sundays? Makes no sense.

The issue is not why can't you live with Sunday closings? Obviously, we can with alcohol and I still remember a time when all stores were closed on Sundays. The question is why should anyone who wants to be open on a Sunday be prohibited from doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom