BCS talks update from NYTimes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BCS talks update from NYTimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
With 4 or 6 teams at most in a post season playoff it is very unlikely that a two loss team will get in, even a 1 loss team may have a tough time getting in. This makes every conference game a potential elimination game. The more teams you qualify for the "post season" the less important you make the in conference upset. Sticking it to your rivals is almost as important as winning to SEC fans. If someone could somehow have given Bama their second loss it would have kept them out of the BCS championship game. If there is a 16 team playoff Bama probably still goes as an at large.

Or the counter point - if more teams have a shot to qualify, those late season games between 1 loss teams, become even more intense because they would be fighting for at large bids.

The whole idea that the regular season becomes meaningless is just so unfounded.

Is the NFL not the most popular sport in America? Does their regular season not mean anything? 12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs in the NFL. We're talking about 8 or 16 out of 125 or so. I just fail to see how regular season losses significance across the board when the playoff you still can't lose more than 2 games and it opens up the field to the whole country.

Reaction Score
Or the counter point - if more teams have a shot to qualify, those late season games between 1 loss teams, become even more intense because they would be fighting for at large bids.

The whole idea that the regular season becomes meaningless is just so unfounded.

Is the NFL not the most popular sport in America? Does their regular season not mean anything? 12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs in the NFL. We're talking about 8 or 16 out of 125 or so. I just fail to see how regular season losses significance across the board when the playoff you still can't lose more than 2 games and it opens up the field to the whole country.
Look, I am not saying that a different system will not work I am just trying to explain why the Mike Slives of the world are reluctant to make a change. Also a lot of SEC fans alsowant to minimize the probability of a team in a large field getting hot. They look at BB and see mid majors making a run or Uconn having a mediocre season, followed by a great tournament run to the NC, followed by a mediocre season. With a very small number of teams they have more control and believe it or not they like it that way. In BB not being in a "power conference" doesn't keep you out of the hunt. In FB it pretty much has kept you out. The SEC etc, are the in's and like it that way.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Look, I am not saying that a different system will not work I am just trying to explain why the Mike Slives of the world are reluctant to make a change. Also a lot of SEC fans alsowant to minimize the probability of a team in a large field getting hot. They look at BB and see mid majors making a run or Uconn having a mediocre season, followed by a great tournament run to the NC, followed by a mediocre season. With a very small number of teams they have more control and believe it or not they like it that way. In BB not being in a "power conference" doesn't keep you out of the hunt. In FB it pretty much has kept you out. The SEC etc, are the in's and like it that way.

I get the whole consolidation of power angle and letting others into the title hunt. That makes sense. It's an awful system, but I 'get it'.

I still don't see the logic of a playoff undermining the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom